• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Do cigars help quit cigarettes smoking?

I have heard story's of guys using cigars to quit cigarettes, and then sticking to cigars, But I wonder if they are smoking Cigars for their flavor or rather the replacement of one habit with another

I know a few folks that substituted cigars for cigarettes. They inhale the cigars like they are cigarettes!

At one time I smoked cigarettes, cigars and a pipe. I tried several times to quit cigarettes by concentrating on just cigars and the pipe. Most of the time I would make it about three months and slide right back into smoking cigarettes. About ten years ago I finally decided to not smoke anything for a year. Around six months into it I went to a bar one night that was full of cigarette smoke. After about 10 minutes in there I had to leave because the smoke was making me sick.

Went home, opened up the humidor, pulled out a AF 858 and throughly enjoyed that cigar! Since that day I can't stand the smell of cigarette smoke.

They haven't helped me so far :( . If I could bust out a cigar almost anywhere I think it would work, but that just isn't feasable in this day and age.

I started to think after I posted my first reply... "Should I say that I only smoked one cigarette a day?"

For me it was an easy swap. Also, the flavor is awesome with cigars compared to crap with cigs.

They haven't helped me so far :( . If I could bust out a cigar almost anywhere I think it would work, but that just isn't feasable in this day and age.

that is my problem too. I think I could quit the cigarettes if I could smoke a cigar anywhere.

Cigars have helped me stay off of cigarettes, but they didn't help me quit. Personally, I had to cold turkey cigarettes, with some minor assistance from the gum. Many months after I had the constant nicotine cravings under control, I tried a cigar and never looked back. I'm still a nicotine addict, but I can live with these levels. Not to mention I'm not inhaling anything.

Using cigars to quit smoking cigarettes is like using beer to quit drinking whiskey. In my experience neither work.

Doc.

Using cigars to quit smoking cigarettes is like using beer to quit drinking whiskey. In my experience neither work.

Doc.

Doc ya got that bass-ackwards. Everyone knows you go from beer to whiskey, not vice versa. :sign:

I had the reverse experience.

Smoked 4-5 cigars a week during college, until I picked up Cigarettes from hanging out on student film-shoots. The cigs destroyed my pallet enough that I didn't enjoy the cigars as much. Didn't pick up smoking cigars regularly again until I quite cigs 5 years later.

Even after quitting I'd have an occasional butt, but now that I'm smoking cigars regulalry the thought of smoking a cigarette turns my stomach (unless I'm in my cups...)

I was a pack, maybe a lil more a day smoker.

Since picking up Cigars a pack will last me 3-4 days, if I'm off work I rarely ever smoke a cigarette.

After starting the cigars I just don't enjoy the cigarettes, no taste and the smell is that of burning paper...lol

Plus my wife really likes the cigar smell, and in her twisted mind since I don't inhale cigars it's alot better for me than cigarettes, which makes sense.

Now I do smoke 4-5 cigars a day, everyday...lol But at least I have dropped the cigarettes.

Note: I didnt start smoking cigars to quit cigarettes, it just kinda happened that way.

ISOM CIGARETTES?!?!?! ooh that sounds nice! cigars haven't gotten me to quit. in fact normally when i finish my cigar i'll whip out a cigarette.

normally when i finish my cigar i'll whip out a cigarette.

Done that the first few times myself....but going from a good stogie to burning paper smell and no flavor quickly ended that.

Whats sad is that inbetween this post and the last one I made I burned one too...lol

It has been helping me some. I am kinda trying to quit anyway but when I smoke a cigar it eats up a good amount of time, plus, after smoking a cigar I can't smoke a cigarette because they taste like ass.

I was able to quit cigs cold turkey 3 weeks ago. Smoking cigars did help me with the urge to smoke a cig and I tend to enjoy a cigar that much more. I did have a cigarette a few days ago and it made me sick to my stomach. Haven't looked back since. I guess it just depends on the individual.