• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Do Only Certain Cigars Come In Boxes Of 10?

McPatrickClan

McPatrickClan
I have two smaller humidors (less than 100 cigars each) and I use one for aging, one for smoke-ready cigars. I realize that a bigger storage unit would be key, but hey, I'm not wealthy yet. :D

Why is it that it seems only certain cigars come in boxes of ten? Is there some rhyme or reason as to how many come in a box? It seems that the larger the cigar, the more likely they are to come in boxes of ten. It seems that the small cigars come in boxes of 25 or more. Is this based on ring size or length? I strongly prefer boxes of ten (less commitment).

Actually, for a lot of companies, it is marketing only. It is hard for a company to move a box of cigars if there isn't a lot of demand for them. More people will bite on a 10 pack because it should be more than 1/2 as expensive as a full box. Also, if you looke, a lot of the truely expensive cigars are sold by 10's. That way they can sell volume to people who usually cant afford a box of 25 cigars tha sell for $275 bucks. Thats how I see it.

Emo

Brother Emo, I'ld say that is a great answer, exactly what I figured as well. :thumbs:

From my understanding the standard has always been:

Full wheel (cabinet)=100 cigars
half wheel (half cabinet)=50 cigars
dress box=25 cigars
Somewhere along the line they put some vitolas in a 10 pack dress box (e.g. Sancho Panza Corona Gigante, Sancho Sancho). I would guess it had less to do with cost, then a marketing idea that someone had. One thing to not forget is that the price of a cigar since the late 90's has increased tenfold, if not more.