• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

DO they only grow the lighter wrappers in CT?

Lumberg

Opus Lover
Everywhere I have seen a Connecticut wrapper they have always been shade grown and very light.

Are the varieties grown in CT not conducive to use of the upper leaves and/or fermentation?

Lumberg said:
Everywhere I have seen a Connecticut wrapper they have always been shade grown and very light.

Are the varieties grown in CT not conducive to use of the upper leaves and/or fermentation?
Broadleaf wrappers grown in CT too.

I've heard the term but what is broadleaf tobacco? Educate me.

A strong wrapper leaf that holds up well to fermentation. Smokes pretty good too. :thumbs:

Broadleaf is NOT grown under the "shade" cloths that they set up when they grow shade tobacco.

Broadleaf is grown right out there in the sun.

I know people who grow the stuff here in Connecticut. Connecticut tobacco is grown ONLY in the Connecticut River Valley, which is really only in a few towns in the north central part of the state, Enfield, Windsor, South Windsor, Windsor Locks, Suffield, East Hartford, Glastonbury. The soil is a red, sandstone type of soil that is completely different once you get out of the valley (like out near me, even though I'm only a half hour drive from the prime tobacco fields).

When you drive around in the summer, you see two types of tobacco fields, the "shade" ones where they have poles all over the fields covered with the white cloth (it almost looks like cheese cloth) over the top of the poles to shade the tobacco.

The broadleaf is grown in the sun and this stuff grows FAST, you can almost watch it grow.

Wow cool, thanks for the info Ccat.

Do they make Connecticut puros or are they wrapper grade only?

Actually, there are Connecticut puros but they're gas station variety, Munniemaker, Summerdale, etc.

In Connecticutt they grow world class wrappers. Here in PA we have this.

LOL, ya know, they almost look tempting. :D

I like the part about "that sweet, unique Pennsylvania Woods aroma"

I just my spring for the $5.95+ just to experience that Pennsylvania Woods aroma at least once in my life!

I dunno though, $4.00 shipping for $6.00 worth of cigars, geeeez, that's a little steep :(

Wrappers are huge money compared to filler so I'm sure anybody dealing with the labor costs of growing in the states is going to want to maximise his profits as much as possible and focus on wrappers as much as possible.

I need to go find that CA article from a couple years ago about the guy in Virgina that tried to recaputre his states tabacco heritage and grown his own smokes. It was SO funny. The guy was a great writer. I need to find that.

incubimmer said:
Lumberg said:

ive never heard of nething but wrappers out of CT, i def prefer dominican and cuban wrappers over them tho :sign:
Interesting, Dominican wrappers are still a work in progress IMO