• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Do You Ever Shop Offline?

McPatrickClan

McPatrickClan
There are over 50 cigar shops in the greater Dallas area alone. I have visited about five of them and have found them all lacking in the "cut-rate" price department. Now, I shop for other reasons than price, but these guys are not making the extra 20+% worth it to me. After seeing the prices at JR Cigars, etc. I am ready to do the big give-up on the locals. Have you guys done the same?

If you're only looking for price then Catalog or internet would be your ticket. Don't expect to find many hard to get smokes. ???

I personally try to keep some of my business at several of the local smoke shops. It pays off when they have something that shows a limit of.... :thumbs:

I stop by my local establishment a least once a week, as they have always treated me right...... :)

I've have always supported my local shops over the 30+ years I've been smoking. The owner of my local shop always keeps me in mind when he gets an order in of cigars that he knows I like. I probably spend 30-40 percent of my cigar allowance at his shop. He has space in his shop where the regulars can hang out and smoke. And there is just something about walking into a humidor that you don't get online. :thumbs:

Shadow said:
And there is just something about walking into a humidor that you don't get online. :thumbs:
Point well taken Shadow. I can certainly appreciate that.

Yes!

I visit my buddy's shop to buy singles that I want or to get other stuff like butane, humi-bags, etc. I don't buy boxes from him but he understands given the fact that we have a 40% tobacco tax here in paradise but I try to purchase singles and other items regularly.

Aloha,

Wade

what everyone said, and sometimes you can walk in on a great deal (every blue moon). In addition, I dont know how your shop is but mine usually has a few patrons that will light one up sit down and bs for a little while. I guess its another version of the local hardware store. :D

I understand where you're coming from Wade with the tax. Fortunately I only have a 7 percent tax to deal with, it was zero before the beginning of this year.

Rat bastid politicians! :angry: :angry: :angry:

I always stop in and pick up a few singles at the locals. If it is a box purchase, I do it via internet.

I do support my local cigar shops maybe once every couple months.... but guys at 75%+ this can quickly become an unbelievable expensive habit :( at those prices. Internet shopping is a necessity if you live in Washington State........ Aaaggghh!!

I am suprised any of them are still even open ??? I think I am going to move in with Shadow :D

Ben, the first time I visited Seattle about five years ago I about choked when I saw the prices. I can see why most of the shops had great selections, no one is buying anything because of the price! :0

But on the other side I found a bunch of great places to smoke cigars while I was there! :thumbs:

hehehe, hey Patrick, you know what you COULD do?

When your shopping online, turn off the AC, spritz yourself with water, and open your humi and sniff everytime you click on an item. LOL, you'll get the same effect as if you were there in Real Life(tm) hehehe

I support JR's in the city, but I also shop online. Just depends on the mood I'm in. if I need it RIGHT NOW, I'll take the train in, if not, I'll just plop an order online and wait.

Our local cigar shop is a Joke.
Seriously a 150 year old cigar bar that sells crappy smokes

I've tried to support my local shops over the years, but after 5+ years of not being notified of incoming Opus X shipments - not ONCE - I finally said, "screw 'em." I'm tired of paying $7 to $10+ for singles also. Most of my purchases are now done online or in person at the local JRs for domestic cigars in both singles and boxes. With JRs at least I know that I'm not being ripped off on price and their selection can't be beat. You can smoke inside the JRs store also if you have the desire. With my new focus on "the good stuff," it doesn't matter much about the local shops anyway at this point...

I still get catalogs from Mikes in Miami, Holt's, and Thompson's...so the locals don't get much of my business much any more.

Good point about walking into a humidor...I still, and forever will...love that! Love that initial tobacco aroma upon first opening the door.

Sam

I still get catalogs from Mikes in Miami, Holt's, and Thompson's...so the locals don't get much of my business much any more.

I dont know about the other two but with Thompsons you might as well pay local shop prices. Imo

We only have 2 good shops here in Co. Springs, but they are very good. By that I mean they have a good selection. Unfortunately, they have no choice but to charge us the 20% luxury tax imposed by the state. I do try to stop by once every couple of weeks; you never know what you might find. Just the other day I stopped in and found a box of VSG Enchantments sitting there, limit 3 per customer. I go in every now and then to pick up singles of stuff I want to try. I usually buy a few of each figuring that if I don't like them, I'll gift the extras to somebody or put them in a pass hoping that somebody else may like them better. But all of my box buying I do online.

I frequent the local shops - mostly to try expensive singles that I can't afford a whole box or maybe a brand that I've never had. Sometimes the stores have bundles that are about the same price as the internet shops when you factor in the freight.

I have 2 or 3 shops I deal with on a regular basis. One fellow in particular keeps me in mind when those hard to find VSG's come around, he'll keep the box under the counter! I like to get singles at these, an occaisonal box if the price is right.

I have been in the Wilson JR store and was in awe when I walked into the cigar part! What a shop and what a sellection! Sam is right, anyone can buy a stick and fire it up, walk around, ask questions, etc. If you have never seen a JR in person, I recommend it highly!

:D Leebo :D

Lee you gotta come to the Holiday Herf up at the JR's in Whippany, NJ. Huge humidor and a great lounge!