• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Do you ever unravel your cigars

Lumberg

Opus Lover
Lately I have been doing it a lot, and it's fun for a few reasons:

a) to see what the cigar was really made out of I've found most "long filler" cigars seem to have some kind of ragged scraps or something in the middle of the bunch, even high end ones. (highest end I can think of right now is the Litto Gomez Diez). Some also have leaves in them with veins that are like sticks, and or lots of mottling or even holes in the leaves. The only cigar I have never found this on, and I smoke a lot of em, is Opus X.

b) I'm a pyro by nature, and like to see how the edges of the different leaves continue to burn

c) SOmetimes I will separate out the leaves that are still smoldering and let the smoke waft up to my nose. I try to distinguish the different aromas and how the contributed to the overall taste. Mostly it's for the fun of experiencing the different smells...I'd have to do this hundreds of more times to even come close to being able to truly appreciate the blends.

Hmmm, no, can't say that I ever have. Lumberg, do you have a lot of spare time on your hands? - just kiddin.

But seriously, I just find that after I've enjoyed a good smoke, I'm just ready to toss it and move on. Perhaps now after reading your post, I might try that tomorrow after a smoke, for the hell of it.

That's some serious R&D there buddy.

I do that sometimes as well, but not as intently as you do. I've noticed that with the larger ring sizes they tend to throw in more of the stems and heartier leaves. Couldn't do that with a panatela because it would plug it up badyly. So I guess the question of the day is "How expensive do you want that stick to be?" If every leaf was properly dressed (stems etc.), it would require more labor and ultimately make the cigar more expensive.

As far as smelling the different leaves and examining burn characteristics, that's awesome. I've read that where the leaf grows on the plant affects the burn of the leaf. I think Ligero is from the top of a sungrown, so it's very hearty and thicker than the rest of the leaves, meaning that it would burn slower than it's brothers from lower on the plant. If it's rolled into the center of the cigar it would probably end up with a conical cherry.

If i only smoke half a cigar due to time restrains or weird tastes, ill usually disect them to see what they look like on the inside. Its amazing to see the quality differnces between brands...not just in prices either...you can tell the well made, high quality stuff from the whole complete leaves vs the scrappy choppy looking ones.

Well a cigar is all abour relaxation adn enjoyment...and this is fun.

I don't do it when I'm in public (yeat!) or when there are time constraints, but if I'm sitting at home just jacking around, then yeah, it's more knowledge to gain about my hobby.

You can tell the companies that really take care, and like I said, there's no question that Fuente puts only the best stuff in their Opus.

There are cigars where I find the thick veins and such where I don't mind cos I don't expect perfection--JR Ultimate cabinets would be a good example. They still taste good, and sometimes I imagine they add a woody characteristic to the taste that sint' bad.

But when I found that kind of stuff in a Litto Gomez Diez--well that's not cool IMO.

Since I nub most of them there is not much to take apart. I did however pull a yard gard out of the humi and dissect it the other day. I did find alot of the shorter filler as you descibed but I'm guessing it's because it was a cheaper cigar. I forget the brand but probably a $4 smoke.

For anyone interested, here is Moki's Padron autopsy.

http://www.cigarpass.com/forums/index.php?...=5764&hl=padron

I will admit to doing this on a regular basis. While I do it in complete intrest of my hobby a small part of me is simply appeased to be taking something apart :). I find the construction just amazing and and it gives me a true respect for those who roll them.

I did last night with the nub of an Aururoa 100 Anos, and a nub of CAO MX2. I usually do this when I am bored or an interested in the construction of the cigar. The differences between the two where pretty apparant once you took them apart. It was very intersting to see what a high end and what a mid end cigar look like on the inside. I think someone did a dissection of a padron, it was very intersting.

K

I was doing this today actually, with an Opus X reserva D'Chateau I smoked at my boy's T-ball practice.

I was sitting on the front stoop and Billy was like, why are you doing that? (how do you answer that one?) and then he goes, 'mom, why did you marry Jonathan? he does things that aren't right'

Lumberg OWNED by his 7-year-old stepson

no never unraveled a cigar, but have been unraveled by some cigars, lol! :p