• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Does anyone have an opinion on Segundos?

egeem2

I am pretty new to smoking cigars, and I am on a pretty limited budget. A buddy of mine told me about segundos. Which for those that don't know are seconds, meaning not quite up to standards, of some pretty well known brands. Anyway, I ordered a bundle of Old Fashioned 550's. I also ordered a decent sampler pack just to have some others to compare. Until I find what I like. The Old Fashioned 550's are supposed to be segundos (or seconds) of the Macanudo Baron Von Rothchild. I really like them a lot, but...

My question is this. Is there a drastic difference in taste, draw, etc. in the segundos as compared to the "higher quality" cousin? Are the appearences all on the outside as some suggest, or are there actual differences in quality fo fill, etc.?

Thanks.

My recollection (and your mention of the Macanudo brand bears it out) is that the Old Fashioneds are seconds of some of the General Cigar premium brands (Mac, Partagas, etc).

I would look into the Consuegra brand - seconds of Villazon brands such as Punch, HdM and JR Ultimates if you're looking for cheap, tasty seconds.

Catalogs, retailers, etc. will tell you that the differences between firsts and seconds are purely cosmetic, but this isn't always the case. They can still be a good bang for your buck, IMO.

Better still is smoking fewer, but better cigars.

Thanks for the reply and the advice on the Consuegra brand. I have not heard f them, but I will look them up.

I only smoke maybe 1-2 cigars a week right now. Really depends on what I am doing. I just didn't want to spend a lot if I wasn't going to enjoy it. So, I picked up the seconds thinking that they were a pretty good smoke for a really reasonable price.

I also have some better brands that I am letting age in my humidor. I figure I will start smoking those in a few months.

Thanks again for the reply.

these are the seconds from rocky patel on ci go to the x-outs category to find them.

Liga A are The Edge Seconds

Liga B are RP Sun Grown Seconds

Liga C are RP Old World Reserve Seconds

Liga D are RP Decade Seconds

Liga E are IT Super Fuerte Seconds

All in mazos of 15

The best deals are at famous for these when they have any (i dont think they have for about 8 months)

RP Maduro Selects are The Edge Maduro

RP Corojo Selects are the Edge Corojo

RP Sungrown Selects are the Sungrowns <favorite

All in mazos of 20

According to rocky himself on a CigarDOTcom interview that he sells two grades of seconds there are selects which have passed the draw test but may be tighter or looser than desired should not be plugged and only have minor cosmetic defects now seconds are the same but a few may have draw issues out of a bundle of 20 I have gotten 1 or 2 and I just toss them since they dont cost enough for me to pop out an eyeball. But thats the best I can do about seconds.

If you are new at cigars dont go right for seconds first try one of these 2 first:

Tampa Sweethearts (rolled by apprentice rollers by Fuente I still smoke these when I want a cheap smoke all long filler)

Flor De Oliva (these are olivas bundle brand when i was new I lived on these all long filler)

Or you can go the fuma rout and try one I herd good things about Gran Habano Fuma (these are made by Gran Habano they are mixed filler) If you find you dont mind short filler there also is a RP fuma you could try or any fuma by a brand you have herd is good. Fumas are just cigars made from the clippings of the premium cigars so some have great taste fumas can burn funny but for the price who cares. A good example of a good fuma is Tatuaje Series P Which is a Tatuaje Havana Fuma.

Hopefully after this you'll know a little more about the low end of cigars. I would really go for either Tampa Sweethearts or Flor De Oliva both can be gotten in bundles of 20 for under $40. Thats less than 2 bucks a stick for some good tasting cigars. Almost all brands have seconds but these two are not seconds they are firsts and they are good. I would go to famous for the Flor De Oliva and you can only get Tampa sweethearts from wwwDOTtampasweetheartsDOTcom thats also a place you might be able to score some high end AF cigars in singles. Even though they are rolled by apprentice rollers they must have some good QC as I always get good sticks.

Beatniks two cents

These two brands are not really seconds as they are their own blend made from the left over tobacco from their premium blends, Consuegra and El Credito. Most people like the Consuegra's over the El Credito's they are like the Consuegra's but from a different factory the one that makes La Gloria Cubana, it may be called El Credito for all I know. Again these are mixed filler.
(there are several category's of hand rolled cigars there are cigars made with 100% long filler. This means all full leaves cut just for this cigar, then there are mixed. Which is some long some medium and sometimes some short, then there is short filler. Which is little pieces of tobacco smaller than an inch long) Just to as one more cent.

For the price, Old Fashioned cigars aren't that bad. They used to be my "golf course" and yard cigars. From what I remember, there are three "series" - one is supposedly seconds of Macanudo, one is of Partagas and the other is Hoyo de Monterrey.

I don't really know any better at this point. And I still have about 15 left. So, for now I will stick with them.

Thanks for the advice and the long reply. It is always great to get a lot of information when you post a question like this.