• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

does anyone use satilite internet?

hooiserguy

fellow newbie
Reaction score
Just wondering about satilite internet if anyone uses it or know anything about it?

I used to work for a PC store that 'sold' hughes satellite internet. The download was about as fast as 512k DSL (so, 51.2KBps). The upload, however.. since satellites aren't bi-directional is based on your dialup modem speed.

It'll suck, yeah.. but it's better than dialup both ways.

I was just reading about two-way satilites and man are they expensive,just started looking into it any help would be great.

I looked into DirectTV's method. I think it was called DirecWay. If I remember correctly it was like 500 bucks to set up and then around 100 a month. It was quite costly, and yes upload is based on dialup. And uploading is configuring when you're viewing webpages. If it's really important to you, and you d/l music, movies and the like then it might be worth it. DirecWay has a website, although that's not the only ISP for satellite.

Jason

Yeah, I was doing ANYTHING BUT recommending them. I haven't heard good or bad things about them. They are probably too costly for many to consider forking out for. I wish you luck in your searches.

Jason

I have a friend that had DirectPC and the Dish competitor(whatever its name was)

He liked the fast download speeds compared to dial-up, but they both had a FAP (Fair Access Policy) that would throttle the speeds down after a certain amount of bandwidth had been used. The more you downloaded, the more you would be throttled.

I would say if it is all you can get, go with it. Do not believe all the speed hype and be prepared for certain frustrations.

Check out DSL Reports

I think your right Savage I know whick ever way I go there will be headaches,I'll keep checking it out. thanks

I've done some work for a client that had the Direct TV satellite internet service. I really, really recommend you pursue other options. I had an associate who worked on WildBlue and thought it was a pretty good solution for folks in your position. I played with it for 15 minutes or so once at a demo, and the latency wasn't too unreasonable for a surfer.

it may be worth it to petition your local public utilities commission (yourself and your neighbors) to have the cable company run lines into your area and offer service.
an example: my father-in-law has a home in a mountain community in N.H. The entire neighborhood (150+ full time residents)signed a petition and they all attended meetings of the PUC. neddless to say, that got the cable co's attention and cable is being run to the community. If you choose this method, strength in numbers really is effective.
from what i have heard about the satellite internet, as stated by others, you still need dial-up for the upload portion.

I think you'd be better off with just dial-up rather than satellite. It is soooo slow, but we tried satellite and it really isn't much faster once you figure in the headaches we suffered. For the money it is definitely not an option for us. YMMV. . .

As for petitioning the cable company, that's a good idea. You should learn the laws or regulations for your area, however. My father-in-law and his neighbors did the same in order to get cable out to their area and found out they were going to have to pony up the dough to get all the lines run and poles put in the ground since the population density was so low in their area. Turned out to be a HUGE amount of upfront cost so they all told the cable co. to go to hell. It could be different in your neck of the woods, but I would check it out before committing to anything.

Just an FYI, not trying to discourage you or anything.

Power to the people!! Viva la revolucion!! Give me cable or give me death!!

:D

hooiserguy said:
think your right!!!!
[snapback]277702[/snapback]​

"you're" not "your"
Oh and in the title of your thread, it's "satellite" not "satilite"

I hate my cable company (Charter) with a passion. :angry: DSL is not available in my area and I was thinking about checking out the satellite deal(s) but from what you guys are saying, I'm thinking about going back to dial up.