• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Does size really matter?

Snowdust

SnowNYet
Having started my first coolerdor, I put together a humidifier with floral foam in a small container. I'm having a hard time keeping the humidity from rising into the high 70's (76/70) within a few days. I do plan on going to beads in the future, but I wanted this to work first.

I am using a 30 qt to start with. I went with the same logic as using a humidor with to little in it, being hard to stabilize. When I do out grow it, it will become another boat cooler.

My floral foam is cut to the size of appox. two sandwiches side by side. I have two cigar size holes in the lid.

Should I make up one much smaller, the size you would get with a regular humidor?

30 qt is pretty small. Think about a humidor and how small the device is in there. Also take into account that in a humidor the wood absorbs and releases moisture, plastic cant do that. I would cut one of those pieces in half and try it. Also, why do you have holes in the lid?

Yes, the size of florist foam you are talking about is way too big for a 30qt cooler. What are you using for a wetting agent?

What are you using for a wetting agent?

Distilled water. I just cut a new piece that is about 3x3x3/4. Will see how that works. After this, it will defiently be beads.

You will most likely have the same problem using just distilled water . You have nothing regulating the amount of moisture being released. You need to add some Propylene Glycol to your florist foam. Start out with a 50/50 mixture of PG and distilled water and you should be fine. There's some decent info on storage HERE!

If you plan on getting beads than forget all that mess above. :)