• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Doing some calculations, and can't seem to find this anywhere...

Joho

I'm doing some calculations and trying to optimize money, space, and whatnot for my next humidor/coolidor. I already have a 50-count desktop for singles and everyday smokes so I'm looking into setting something up to age boxes in. Now if a handful of people could just help me out. I've never bought a box before, so I can't do this myself (and Google search nor CP search are turning up anything definitive).

What are the dimensions for a standard wooden cigar box? I'm assuming that there will be slight variances, so could I get some examples?

If anyone has a cigar box and ruler on hand (or nearby), I would greatly appreciate it if you guys posted some measurements for me. And please post what cigar box it is along with the dimensions.

Thanks much. ;)

It will depend what size cigar you smoke.

I understand that. I was just wondering if I could get some examples and some numbers to run in my head so I can get an idea if everything will fit neatly in a coolidor or humidor construction without having to play excessive cigar box Tetris.

It will depend what size cigar you smoke.

I understand that. I was just wondering if I could get some examples and some numbers to run in my head so I can get an idea if everything will fit neatly in a coolidor or humidor construction without having to play excessive cigar box Tetris.

I'll get you some dimensions in a little bit, but we all play tetris.. It just happens.

Your always going to play tetris. You can measure all the boxes you want but then say you get a OpusX box or something similar and your moving stuff around. I'd say just grab the biggest cooler you can find.

Your always going to play tetris. You can measure all the boxes you want but then say you get a OpusX box or something similar and your moving stuff around. I'd say just grab the biggest cooler you can find.

Well either way, I'm a math guy. I need numbers for anything to make sense in my head. Plus I have limited storage space, so if I end up buying a huge cooler, I won't be able to cram it in my closet. Additionally, I'm not sure whether I want to make a coolidor or shell some more out money for a large humidor (which I can leave out of the closet since it looks a tad bit nicer than a huge white and blue plastic tank), so I want to make sure that boxes will fit.

I like to fully explore my choices as opposed to relying solely on the suggestions of others (although I take others' comments and suggestions in mind when I'm about to make the decision).

Tetris is fun. What size smokes do you usually enjoy? Don't forget that some coolers have wheels with wells that take up space inside the cooler making a perfect fit a no go. Buy a bigger space then you think you need and more beads then you think you need and all will be well. The extra space makes it easier to move the boxes around. How many boxes are you looking to put down?

Tetris is fun. What size smokes do you usually enjoy? Don't forget that some coolers have wheels with wells that take up space inside the cooler making a perfect fit a no go. Buy a bigger space then you think you need and more beads then you think you need and all will be well. The extra space makes it easier to move the boxes around. How many boxes are you looking to put down?

I've been mainly smoking robustos but I'd prefer my long-term storage device to be large enough to accommodate larger boxes, of course.

As for the number of boxes, I honestly have no idea. I'm still a student, so funds are limited, but I'm also a slow (but steady !!) smoker, and I plan on gradually increasing my collection.

The Havana Foot Locker humidor ("400-500" count) on CheapHumidors is one I've been eying for quite some time now, and I feel that this can last me a while until I'm moved out and have enough space for a large coolidor. If anything I'm gonna wait until an imperfect one is available, and jump on that as soon as possible.

But as of now, I'm still weighing out my options, and again, need some numbers to run through my head. :)

I would go 60-100 qt cooler. A 60 can hold probably a dozen boxes depending on size. You can use an empty box for singles storage.

I would go 60-100 qt cooler. A 60 can hold probably a dozen boxes depending on size. You can use an empty box for singles storage.

I know what coolers are best for making a coolidor, but just "60 qt cooler" is difficult to comprehend for me. I need to know interior dimensions, exterior dimensions (so I can see if I actually have somewhere to put it), etc, etc. Hence why I just want to know the dimensions of a cigar box--this way I can determine what's big enough without being too big for my closet.

I've read through pages and pages of information pertaining to cigar storage, coolidors, etc, and know pretty much all there is to know (or have a basic understanding or knowledge of it). Now all I need to know are some numbers !!

Ashton Magnums: 7.1/2"w, 5.5/8"d, 2.1/2"t
Pepin 1/2 lanceros: 7.3/4"w, 7.1/2"d, 1.1/2"t
My Father Robos: 11"w, 6.1/4"d, 2.1/2"t
Don Carlos #3: 7"w, 6"d, 2.5/8"t
WOAM: 9"w, 5.1/2"d, 3.1/8"t
Padron 2000: 10.1/2"w, 5.7/8"d, 1.3/4" t

Did I win?

Am I to understand that you are asking for dimensions of boxes from all manufacturers and all different vitolas?

All manufacturers use different boxes. The thickness of the wood, the height of the box, the thickness of the lid, does the lid lie on top, is the lid recessed, is the box rectangular, is the box oddly shaped, etc., etc., etc. The same type of cigar may also come in different boxes. Two of the boxes of Padron #2000s I have on hand are not the same size as the third which is the same as the box listed above.

There is no standard and the way you stack the boxes matters almost as much as the size of the boxes.

If you're worried about space, buy the biggest "receptacle" you can find and go from there. Attempting to break it down as you are attempting is just going to lead to frustration and is likely an exercise in complete and utter futility.

Good luck! :)

- Spend hours carefully calculating the right shape and size for perfect fill volume.
- Buy the biggest storage you can find based on those painstaking calculations.
- Get the storage home, and get ready to move your collection in.
- Discover that not only did the manufacturer's change their box sizes a bit, you have too many boxes to fit anyway.

......rinse and repeat as required.... :laugh:

Have "fun" - B.B.S.

Back