• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Dominica

moki

el Presidente
Reaction score
Polly and I just got back from a trip to Dominica. No, not the Dominican Republic... Dominica. It's a small (29 by 16 miles) island in the Caribbean, one of the West Indies islands, sitting between Guadeloupe and Martinique.

It's not your typical Caribbean Island; rather then white sand beaches, it has huge volcanic peaks covered in rain forests, and has more waterfalls per square mile than anywhere else on earth. It also has active volcanic activity with hot springs, and the world's second-largest boiling lake (which is really quite impressive, but a brutal hike through the mountains to get to).

It is a lovely change of pace. If you're looking for a naturalist vacation, laid back atmosphere, awesome creole cooking, and first-class scuba diving, Dominica is a wonderful choice. It does have some very nice black and gold sand beaches, but they aren't the main draw.

We happened to go there during Carnival, which was a colorful and vibrant celebration. Unfortunately I didn't take as many pictures as I wanted to (I didn't bring my camera on the hike to the boiling lake, for instance), but I hope you enjoy these pictures:

http://people.ambrosiasw.com/~andrew/dominica/

You got some great pictures of the island Moki.
I'm assuming that's you by the waterfall.
Looks like a beautiful place, most of the islands in the caribbean are very beautiful.

Wow - very cool place. I'm gonna have to remember it next time I'm looking for a place to visit.

Very nice pictures Andrew! :thumbs:

Thanks for sharing them.

Beautiful pics Andrew. You are quite the photog :D Thanks for sharing your adventure with us :thumbs:

Thanks moki for showing us your pics.
That is one beautiful Island it looks so peaceful I take it you had a good time.

I found a web site that chronicles (and has pictures of) the boiling lake hike that we did in Dominica. It's really quite impressive, after hiking up and down 3 volcanic mountains, you enter the "Valley of Desolation" which has strange milky white hot water rivers, steaming fumeroles, and smells like... well, mother nature farting.

Then you go up another incline (this is 3 hours into the hike or so) to see the world's second largest boiling lake. It's a huge milky white lake that's vigorously boiling, with water constantly streaming up in the middle. It's large enough to fit a house into, this is no mere hot spring.

As I mentioned, I left my camera behind on this trip, so it's nice to see pictures from it! My favorite line from the writeup:

"I have been on trips where others have literally broken down in tears and said they cannot go any further."

Check out the pictures here:

http://www.avirtualdominica.com/thelake.htm