• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Dominican Republic Cigar Tours

JWJ

I am planning on taking a trip to the DR early next year and would like to visit some cigar factories. At first we were going to go to Punta Cana but some have told me that if I really want to go to a cigar factory I should stay in Pureto Plata as it is only an hours drive to Santiago-- the so called cigar captial.

Any suggestions? What city and resort to stay in and some good cigar tours? Is it true that a tour of a cigar factory will result in the ability to purchase some good smokes for half the cost of them here in the states?

Thanks

Jim

I was in the DR for vacation last year and stayed in Punta Cana and there were no factories to be found. There was a cigar musem but it was pretty lame. There may be a tour that you can hook up with from your resort that may take you to a factory or if you ask at the front desk or around the resort you may be able to get a private guide to take you. Be wary of the cigars you buy there lots of fakes and they will try to get you to pay rediculous prices. Be firm with your price they will come down to you. You will have fun there the people are great!

Peurto Plata was a fun time for us. We pulled in for a couple of nights. Definately do your research right now. Shoot off emails also. I cant remember which Vegas didn't allow tours. Also, look around at the prices on the internet for cigars you are looking to buy. Forewarned is forearmed. Have fun

Emo

This is a FAQ at Cigar Family...but seems to give some insight to cigar factory situation in teh Dominican Republic:

Question:

I am visiting the Dominican Republic. How can I get a tour of the factory?

Answer:

While we would love to welcome every cigar lover to our factories, we are unfortunately unable to have tours. Our factories are located in a special "Free Trade Zone" in the Dominican Republic. These zones are huge manufacturing complexes surrounded by barbed wire fences and secured by armed members of the Dominican army who search every vehicle. Probably 90% of Dominican cigars are made in these Zones which allow for the direct exportation of our cigars. Therefore, because of their location, we are unable to host regular tours of our factories.

Question:

Can I buy your cigars in the Dominican Republic?

Answer:

Unfortunately, because our factories are located in the special "Free Trade Zones" all of the cigars must be directly exported from the Dominican Republic. Therefore, to legally sell cigars in the DR, we would have to import them from the USA.

This is a FAQ at Cigar Family...but seems to give some insight to cigar factory situation in teh Dominican Republic:

Thanks all for your responses. As far as what the Cigar Family says, I was told this is not true at all (this demonstrates the conflicting reports I have come across when doing research in this area). As a matter of fact most cigar tours going to Santiago highly recommend touring the Leon Jimenes factory (who makes some my favorite mild-med smokes).

I guess I will have to continue to research and try to get to the bottom of this. I will let you know what I find as I will have to call one of those "tour" places or the factory itself.

Have a good weekend-- it is rainy here