• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Don Diego Aniversario No. 3

EzTheFix

Don Diego Aniversario No. 3
Posted by E.Z. under Cigar Reviews (Photos)

Though I am definitely a full-bodied cigar kind of guy, I’ve always felt there is a time and a place for a milder cigar. Usually when it’s late at night, when in a crowded restaurant or just when I feel like having a cigar that I don’t have to think too much about—like if I’m watching an interesting football game—I’ll reach for a lighter companion that will set a relaxed tone by virtue of its creamy and nutty character.

One thing I’ve realized over the years is that a light bodied cigar doesn’t have to smoke like a roll of burning cardboard, though I’ve had the misfortune of smoking quite a few of those. The Don Diego Aniversario No.3 is definitely not in the former category.

Here’s a cigar that is so well made it exudes finesse and relaxation even before lighting. For those that think of milder cigars as duds, this cigar has a thing or two it can teach you. Back in the days when cigar advertisements used words like “smooth” and “creamy”, a premium cigar was a complex smoke of sweet spicy notes delivered in a thick cloud of moist chewy smoke that was absolutely satisfying; this is what I appreciate in the Don Diego Aniversarios.

A very oily wrapper, with some light colored veins, emits a light tobacco scent on a cigar that feels well bunched. The head is interesting in this cigar; it appears solid and the cap extends well beyond the usual mark. One thing’s for sure: the razor sharp Palio blade comes in handy, since in order to allow enough air through, a good cut should be made of about six to eight millimeters.

A pre-light draw reveals a bit of hay and other grassy notes reminiscent of chilli or bell peppers. A quick light later I’m enjoying a very creamy and chewy smoke with subtle notes of walnuts and sweet spices, like nutmeg and cinnamon. It doesn’t feel like a slacker; the complexity of the smoke really keeps me drawing and drawing. It’s undoubtedly mild and appetizing.

The burn is impeccable on this smoke, which means you can forget about it. Let it burn on while the ash piles up and the Sunday night game moves right along—I was a little disappointed that N.Y. couldn’t do better vs. Jacksonville. I mean, they nearly beat Indianapolis last week… but what the heck.

A bit past the half way mark I get a bit of coffee with some dryer woody notes, while the creamy texture subsides a bit. It begins to remind me of the Starbucks Americanos I used to drink back in the U.S. These notes continue on right through the end before settling into a darker espresso note before the finish. :thumbs:

Back