• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Don Pepin Garcia Blue Label

Marco-Polo

Go Irish Go!
Cigar: Don Pepin Garcia, Blue Label
Size: Generoso (Toro), 6x50
Wrapper: Nicaragua
Binder: Nicaragua
Filler: Nicaragua

Executive Summary: Construction issues bring down a complex, flavorful cigar. 8/10

Appearance: Smooth, nice looking cigar. The wrapper is clearly sungrown, being a milk-chocolate shade (or, as you might say, a chocolate labrador shade - that dark). The cigar is very well packed and punched readily and cleanly. The texture of the wrapper is very uniform, so much that it's hard to see the roll itself, and there are no apparent veins. One issue becomes apparent and important later - the fill is not uniform, and goes from firm at the foot to very firm at the head. The blue wrapper is unremarkable. However, as appearance goes, this is definitely in the top quintile. 8.5/10

Flavor: Flavor is where this cigar excels. Dominant flavors are roasted - black coffee and bitter chocolate - and woody/spicy, somewhat like sandalwood. They evolve throughout, becoming less spicy in the middle, then a little peppery and increasingly cedary and earthy in the back third. Top note is somewhat like vanilla, consistent with the sandalwood spicy note.

I've seen this cigar compared to a cuban ERDM, and I agree in terms of complexity; however, it lacks the prominent top notes of an ERDM and the brightness and organic smell of cuban tobacco.

The flavor starts medium/full, but smooths down to a solid medium through the middle third, then ramps up again. There's some astringency in the smoke, a little acridness that lodges at the back of the throat, but not overly so and it fades as the smoke smooths out. But I complain too much. I'd want to smoke this cigar again, especially if I knew the construction issues were being resolved. 9/10.

Construction: This is driving me crazy. Straight-across, self-correcting burn. The draw is very tight. Not plugged, but like sucking a milkshake through a straw. Required 2 relights in the first half alone, no doubt related to my slow pace of smoking and the low quantity of air going through the stick. The ash is salt-and-pepper, mostly light, very firm and tenacious; I really only ashed when I had to relight, which is not so good given that I had to relight frequently! Stopped with a full 1.5 inches left out of frustration. 7/10

It's too bad the construction was off a little bit. As you found, these are very tasty cigars, and I enjoy them very much. I've not had a construction problem with one yet. I've smoked a couple robustos, several churchills, and one preferido (the preferido was my favorite, bursting with flavor but a bit young).

I don't smoke many of the blue labels, besides my lanceros, but I agree with the "lacking of complexity" comment. But that's also what I like about this line.

It's simple...yet tasty.

Haven`t had a Pepin yet, but looking forward to it very much. Any thoughts on difference between Blue label in relation to the Black label (if you by any chance smoked both labels)?

Thanks

Rob

Great cigar to pop your Pepin cherry, too bad about the draw issues. Don't give up on these. When they're good, they're good!

Haven`t had a Pepin yet, but looking forward to it very much. Any thoughts on difference between Blue label in relation to the Black label (if you by any chance smoked both labels)?

Thanks

Rob

IMO the blacks have more spice to them. Very tasty as well though.

Nice review! A shame such a potentially excellent cigar had to be rolled by mere humans! ;)

True story: Ronnie (from another site) was at one of our semi-regular herfs at Mahogs and told me of his previous herf, which I missed. He went downstairs to Holts and bought a DPG Blue Delicias, removed the band, went back upstairs, and passed it around. Sometimes we'll do that with a VERY rare Cuban.

When his fellow herfers asked what it was he said, "You tell me?". Now, these were veterans of many aged Cuban cigars sampling this fine stogie. But knowing both Ronnie's rep and NOT knowing he just got back from downstairs, many guessed it was a very old Cuban! No one guessed it was a DPG.

As much about perception as about Pepin's great cigars. ;)

Steve

How was your Generoso stored?

Basement (below grade) tupperdor, stable at around 68/68 for a week prior to trying. I don't think it was overhumidified, if that's what you're getting at. Maybe unevenly humidified and the draw issue will go away in a month or so, once the whole cigar attains equilibrium.

Basement (below grade) tupperdor, stable at around 68/68 for a week prior to trying. I don't think it was overhumidified, if that's what you're getting at. Maybe unevenly humidified and the draw issue will go away in a month or so, once the whole cigar attains equilibrium.

That could be. Another thing to keep in mind is that Pepins tend to smoke better at 60-65%.

That could be. Another thing to keep in mind is that Pepins tend to smoke better at 60-65%.

As do most cigars with corojo wrappers. I've never had a plugged DPG, but there's a first time for everything. They're a handmade product.

I'll agree with Wyatt that the Black Labels are a little spicier. I also think they are even more one-dimensional than the blues. It's a damn good "dimension" though. :)

Actually, this could explain everything. Pepin says 65% MAX. I've noticed a big difference in draw burn, and taste if I let it creep up to even 67%. Store them at 65% or a bit less for a couple weeks and take note of the difference. Also, many retailers over-humidify them even more having a lasting effect.

Don Pepin and Pete Johnson have both warned of the inportance of not exceeding 65% when storing their Corojo cigars. This tobacco behaves more like Cuban tobacco in that respect.

Steve

You should definately think about lowering the RH for your Pepin sticks. I keep all of mine -which is about half of my collection- at a solid 60%. I never have any problems with any of mine.

On another note...the Blue is probably a more beginner stick with the Black or the White being the best (I'm on the fence with those two). If you really want to experience something spectacular then go out and spend a little extra on an El Centurion. Those little bastards pack some flavor and don't stop until you've got a toothpick in them....

I'll just do a useless x2 on the 65% RH or below message. Can't hurt to overemphasize I guess.

When I store my DPGs at +/-65, the smoke is incredibly enjoyable. They seem to soak up any inconsistencies or fluctuations pretty quickly.

That being said, I would actually say the the Blues are a bit more complex than the Blacks. Just my subjective opinion...

I seem to have a lot of problems with the white label and bursting wrappers. Wonder if my humidification is off somehow.