• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Don Tomas Maduro robusto

Razorback

Migratory Coconut
this review maybe a bit different in approach than usual. I write them in a kindof conversational way. that way when i get around to making a blog I'll have several entries ready. :D so here goes

Ever since these Don Tomás cigars started showing up at my local shop I have been infatuated with them. I mean honestly, it’s hard not to love a robusto that runs around $3 a stick. So like always I purchased one of these tasty little guys on my last trip in.
The construction on this smoke was pretty good, a little veiny and a couple slight flaws, but the wrapper felt so smooth and oily. I rolled it around between my fingers… perfect, no hard spots or sponginess like some cigars have. After gazing at the nice oily wrapper and soaking up the delicious smell of the cigar I decided go ahead and fire it up. I toasted the tip for several seconds, which lets off a marvelously enthralling aroma, took a couple puffs and the fun began.
This smoke jumps right in with flavor, a nice mellow dark chocolate taste in there with just a touch of spice. The draw was nice and firm, if you were puffing on this you knew it, and ample mouthfuls of smoke. The burn was a little uneven but certainly not bad, it cleared up within the first ½ inch and burned perfectly from there on. As I smoked it further the chocolate left but was replaced with a nice earthy taste. I would say a little woodsy (cedar) and grassy, a good thing, with the spice still hanging in there and picking up slightly.
I can’t help but be amazed at how well these cigars burn. The ash held nice and straight for the first two inches, then I knocked it off revealing a fine little cone. The earthy flavor continued throughout with the spice making itself better known the further down you go. Right towards the end a slight creamy undertone shows up to compliment and mellow the spice.
Overall this is a really good smoke. Using the Cigar Aficionado rating system, I give this smoke a 12 on appearance, 19 for flavor, 23 on smoking characteristics, and 32 for overall impression. That gives this smoke a very respectable 86. I would recommend this to anyone who likes a good medium bodied smoke. If I had room in my humidor I would probably buy a box. This is my go to smoke, and a definite must try for all cigar smokers.

Funny; I tried the natural today at my local B&M from one of the reps there and I thought it was a good little stick. Definite recommendation from me.

I agree, Don tomas are an amazing smoke for the price.
You can a box online for 60 bucks, can't get much better than that.

Thanks for the review :thumbs: I've always wondered about these sticks. I'll have to pick one up and try it.

I tried one of these over Christmas at the recommendation of the guy who worked at the local. I thought it was a great little smoke, especially for the price.

Thanks for the review. I need to know about the less expensive smokes. Based on this, I'm going to snag a few of Don Tomas. I'm having difficulty deciding whether to smoke a $20 stick or get insurance for it.

Got 3 Don Tomas Dominican robustos from a work group buy. OF the the three I have smoked 2 of them and both were horribly plugged and had a sour taste. To this day it is the only cigar I have ever chucked. The final one of the 3 has been sitting in my humi for almost a year, perhaps I will give that one a shot this week.

SabresFan said:
Got 3 Don Tomas Dominican robustos from a work group buy. OF the the three I have smoked 2 of them and both were horribly plugged and had a sour taste. To this day it is the only cigar I have ever chucked. The final one of the 3 has been sitting in my humi for almost a year, perhaps I will give that one a shot this week.
[snapback]283935[/snapback]​

I bought two of these, and one was ok while the other one had lousy construction, though I don't remember what size they were. I gave up on it and went for the Nestor Reserve. For this price range I think a Nestor Reserve or a Sancho Panzo double maduro are better.