• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Double maduros

tschoon

I have fallen in love with the double maduros. Problem is, I can only find them in 2 brands, Sancho Panza & Punch.

Anyone know who else makes the doubles??

Thanks guys............

ERDM comes to mind. Double maduros are often referred to as oscuro.

Here is a suggestion:

Go to JR website and do a search. This should give you a lot of other brands that sport this wrapper.

JR Cigar search

Thanks wizard!! I will do the search. Hell, I am so nieve I didn't realize JR had a search!!!!!

Steve -

I have placed 2 Hoyo de Monterrey Oscuro's in my pass...maybe they'll last long enough to reach you

I've had all of these in double maduro:

Hoyo de Monterrey, hard to tell difference from their regular ole maduro
JR Ultimate, see above
Onxy maduros are so dark, I'd toss them in that category, wrappers aren't as tasty as others.
SRO's are mild so they taste bland, I'd pass on these
Indian Tabac's maduros are also pretty dark. They don't claim to be a double maduro but I'd put them in this category. Tasty cigar!!
Oliva maduros are very dark and very sweet EXCELLENT cigars!
Bolivars, now THESE are good cigars!

Now, while these on't claim to be "double maduros" they are not bad maduros:
La Gloria Cubana has many maduros that are nice and dark and tasty
Old Powder Keg, www.cvtobacco.com pricey but a great cigar.
Remedios, from JR's ONE OF MY FAVORITE
Victor Sinclair "Hellfire" maduros, these are okay but not one of my favorites.
La Flor de Copan, "inexpensive" maduro, a JR's 1:00 am madness special I picked up one night, not bad for an "inexpensive"

If I can think of anymore, I'll post here later.

That ought to give you a list to work from for a while

I know a lot of people call really dark cigars double maduro. But maduro is the name for tobacco that is cured a certain way. The tobacco is allowed to ferment to a higher temp which "cooks" the sugars that make the wrappers dark. Any tobacco can be cured like this. I was under the impresion that the Punch and Sancho's were double madure because both the wrapper and binder were maduro tobacco. The HdM's and Ults in Oscuro aren't really double maduro, their wrapper is black, hence the oscuro name.

Emo

Wow,

Thanks Emo. :thumbs:

That makes complete sense, I did not realize that's what is meant by a double maduro. I was under the impression that a double maduro is another name for an oscuro and unfortunately, many people and manufacturers call their oscuro wrapped cigars double maduros.

So, I guess it just depends what you mean when you say you want a "double maduro" are you looking for a cigar with maduro binder & wrapper OR are you looking for a really dark, sweet wrapper.

Interesting. So are there any triple maduros out there? All maduro?

From "Ask JR" on the JR website:

What is double maduro and oscuro?

Double maduro is a wrapper which is a darker brown than a traditional maduro wrapper. Sometimes they can be almost black; they are also called "maduro maduro" or "oscuro" wrappers.

In error, some supposed experts have stated that it means that the cigar has a maduro binder and maduro wrapper; this is untrue. There is no such thing as a maduro binder, per se. Nobody wastes good wrapper leaf as binder, plus a good wrapper leaf could seldom function as a binder, due to strength and elasticity requirements.

Also, some quasi-experts have stated that it means that the cigar has two maduro wrappers on it... this is another bit of errant information.

Basically, leaves are bulked to be maduros, which typically means they begin the process as higher-primed and thicker leaves. They require the additional duration and increased fermentation temps in order to make the leaves smokable. The result is a darker colored leaf. However, due to the natural differences between the leaves, some become darker than others in the process of naturally fermenting them. They are then sorted into maduro and double maduro based on color.

Now sometimes you can tell that certain leaves, by their grain and heft, will end up being double maduro wrappers, so as they are bulking the pilons, they try to stack these in differing burros. But until the process is complete, you can not be certain as to the final color.

In short, double maduro is JUST a reference to color; not maduro binders and not double maduro wrappers, as I have also heard stated.

Merlin said:
From "Ask JR" on the JR website:

What is double maduro and oscuro?

Double maduro is a wrapper which is a darker brown than a traditional maduro wrapper. Sometimes they can be almost black; they are also called "maduro maduro" or "oscuro" wrappers.

In error, some supposed experts have stated that it means that the cigar has a maduro binder and maduro wrapper; this is untrue. There is no such thing as a maduro binder, per se. Nobody wastes good wrapper leaf as binder, plus a good wrapper leaf could seldom function as a binder, due to strength and elasticity requirements.

Also, some quasi-experts have stated that it means that the cigar has two maduro wrappers on it... this is another bit of errant information.

Basically, leaves are bulked to be maduros, which typically means they begin the process as higher-primed and thicker leaves. They require the additional duration and increased fermentation temps in order to make the leaves smokable. The result is a darker colored leaf. However, due to the natural differences between the leaves, some become darker than others in the process of naturally fermenting them. They are then sorted into maduro and double maduro based on color.

Now sometimes you can tell that certain leaves, by their grain and heft, will end up being double maduro wrappers, so as they are bulking the pilons, they try to stack these in differing burros. But until the process is complete, you can not be certain as to the final color.

In short, double maduro is JUST a reference to color; not maduro binders and not double maduro wrappers, as I have also heard stated.
What Jr's fails to mention due to how old this page is, there are cigar companies touting double maduro cigars having 2 wrappers or maduro wrapper and binder. I believe this is becuase they are brands that they don't carry, but I could be wrong. Hold what JR's says, or any body for that metter, with a grain of salt. They are in the buisness of making money, so sometimes they try to debunk what other people say or sell.

Emo

I was able to locate about a half dozen different makers of the double "M". Cigar.com had them as single sticks so of course I was forced to order a "6 pack" to try!!

Thanks all

Just pick up a pack of old FdA's in double maduro from CB, comments to follow. :p

my favorite is the punch rothschild oscuro. a box of 50. dang. gotta love it. they last long enough that way so they are starting to have some age on them by the time i am done with the box.

emodx said:
What Jr's fails to mention due to how old this page is, there are cigar companies touting double maduro cigars having 2 wrappers or maduro wrapper and binder. I believe this is becuase they are brands that they don't carry, but I could be wrong. Hold what JR's says, or any body for that metter, with a grain of salt. They are in the buisness of making money, so sometimes they try to debunk what other people say or sell.

Emo
I would be interested in knowing what brands claim to have two wrappers or a maduro binder.

tschoon said:
I was able to locate about a half dozen different makers of the double "M". Cigar.com had them as single sticks so of course I was forced to order a "6 pack" to try!!

Thanks all
Bro if you're looking for really dark cigars you want an "o" designation. "M" can be anywhere from cappuchino-colored to darkish brown.

CC you forgot the best oscuro that I know of: Motecristo Negra Cubana. tschoon I would go so far as to say you could go ahead and buy a box of those. I'm that sure you'll like them. if you don't like them I will buy them off of you.

I will also second the remedios suggestion but I really think the Montecruz are better and a better deal.

Good luck,

JC

PS CB=cigarbid.com=black hole of money