• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Dry Boxing

Question : I'm using a travel humidor(otter box) to dry box. I have one or two 62% boveda's in there. They have remained soft for months, so I know the seal is spot on.

Do you guys open your dry box every so often to let out the "extra" moisture? I ask because the plastic won't absorb it, the foam won't, and if the packets are soft, they prolly won't either. Where does the humidity go?

I had a stick in there for a week or so, lit it, and it still had a bit of "mush" feel at the foot. Thoughts?

Floyd T
If the case is holding a seal, you could probably outright remove the Boveda packs as long as you don't leave it open long. Perhaps dry one out and put it in there along with the "good" Boveda? In any case, I'd put a hygrometer in there and see where it is holding.

How do you describe the feel of the cigars when you think they are right to smoke? I ask this because cigars out of Cuba in the summer months they feel wet and heavy as the humidity is 85%+ and daily temps of 90F+. I feel those cigars take forever to come down to the right humidity. Then as winter rolls in, the humidity can be in the 60's and the cigars feel better in your hand. March seems to be the best month usually requiring very little dry boxing. In Florida we run our AC year round so the humidity in the house is 50-60%. So, I have to give different advice on dry boxing cigars depending on the time of year. Any thoughts? John

I am hoping to politely revive this thread.

I’ve read through the whole 8 pages several times, and since the information is a little dated, I just wanted to make sure that I’m on the right track process wise, and product wise.

1) Buy a small (10-20 stick) humidor
2) Season it for a couple weeks(?) with a 65% Boveda
3) Switch out the Boveda for a 60% RH Shield
4) Let the humidity stabilize at 60%
4) Continue with the dry-boxing technique previously discussed

Can I move forward or is there a more current process/products that would work better?

Thanks!

You're pretty much spot on. I target 62% for the dry box, but a point or three, frankly, is nothing to panic about. While uncontrolled, I've thrown sticks in my desk drawer for three days with good success, too.

Thank you very much!

You're pretty much spot on. I target 62% for the dry box, but a point or three, frankly, is nothing to panic about. While uncontrolled, I've thrown sticks in my desk drawer for three days with good success, too.

Do you ever unfold the cello and open it a little when you dB? Sometimes, especially cellos that are closed with a factory sticker, I'll find the cello doesn't seem to let much of anything happen after a few days. I know cellos are considered "breathable", but sometimes I gotta tear the sticker, unfold the cello, and give a puff into it to unseal it from the cigar.. and then leave it in the cello, but with the end opened.

That's usually more for the beefier, almost leathery, broadleaf sticks. I can leave them in a 62% box for days and be lucky to shed even a point or two of moisture.