• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Dry Cigar

Hammerfall

Is it possble to bring a dry cigar back to appropriate humidity levels and still have it smoke good or is it forever ruined once it gets completely dry?

Thanks

This post should be in the Cigar Discussion Room, I am sure Dave will move it for us :p

First off, Welcome to CP :D

As for the dry cigar. Once a cigar begins to dry out, it looses the oils that are in the tobacco. Along with the oils, goes the taste. You cannot replace the oil, you might be able to raise the RH in the stick, but the flavor will not be the same.

Basically it depends on how dry it is. If it is so dry it is cracking and flaking, then I would throw it away. Otherwise you may be able to save it.

I would put it in a tupperware type container with a smaller container of Table salt, maybe 3 Tablespoons that has been moistened to a paste. This will create a 75% RH. Leave it there for about a week then check it.

I suspect it is ruined, but without seeing it, I can't say for sure.

Thanks Puro. I will try an find the Cigar discussion board. If I had a box of cigars that were going dry would I do the same thing or would I increase proportionatley with the salt and water?

If you place dry cigars in a humidor at 75% humidity the cigars will most likely split. If you are serious about trying to save them you will need to do it in stages. Start out around 50% for a week than 55 for a week than 60 for a week......until you reach your prefered humidity level. I personally would stop at 65%. The cigars should be left at this level for a month, if not longer, before attempting to smoke one. There is no fast way to revive a cigar.

In most cases the time and effort involved does not justify trying to save a smoke that most likely has already lost all of its oils. Going through the trouble only to find you can get the same flavor smoking dried grass.

Unless these are expensive or rare cigars I would pitch it and if they are very dry I would pitch them regardless.

Upon reflection, Allofus123 is most likely correct. While I have renewed a smoke or 2 with the Salt (which will automatically bring RH to 75% in the container), It is very subject to cracking them. Gradual is allways better, I just never figured out how to regulate RH at anything other than 65% (Climaxx Media), 70% (PPG 50/50) or 75% (Saltpaste). If you have a way to do it the way Allofus suggested, it will obviously be better.Then again, as has been said, if they are really dried out, better to just toss em and get some that have the oils still in them.

Cigar Oasis is good for gradually increasing humidity, as it is adjustable through a wide range of humidity levels. Otherwise, maybe double ziploc (or glass tubed) for a week, single ziploc for a week, then open a corner for a week, then fully open for a month or so. This should slow the humidifying process a bit.

Better yet, just move to Houston and your cigars won't drop below 70% humidity for about 9 months out of the year even without a humidification device! ;)

I don't think I would humidify anything in a bag with the salt method. Just as I wouldn't use anything but distilled water in a humidification device. Does anyone know if the salt moisture would affect the cigar? I assume that it would have to!

:( :0

It does the same thing as PPG, the salt never effects the cigars, only the Distilled Water Evaporates. The only thing wrong with Salt, is it regulates at 75% which is too wet for cigars, although I did use it for months before I got some PPG and did not have any problem smoking the sticks, I just dry boxed em for a few hours before smoking

Cool, didn't think about that. You'd think some of the salt would evaporate also, hence vehicles near the coast rust faster, the taste/smell of salt air near the coast, etc. I guess it shouldn't be too significant of an amount, though.