• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Duchesne Utah Is On TV !

gibu

Guys,

Duchesne Utah is on TV right this moment on A&E's show City Confidential. I seen it just by chance and as soon as I picked my jaw up off the floor I started the Tivo a rollin. The amazing thing about it is it's a really, REALLY small town in eastern Utah, and my family lived there for just a few years. This was back in like 80 and 81 or so when I was in grade school. We moved after just a very few years. My dad worked as an inspector for the govenment on a tunnel in the nearby mountains as part of the Central Utah Water Project.

The show is talking about a murder that occured in 88. That was at least 5 years after we moved. Still, I recognise so much on the show and it is SO weird to see a town so small that you know so well on a big time TV show like this. I think I even recognise the canyon the murder suposedly took place in but probably not, that whole area looks like that canyon.

Anyway, I know it's a little silly, but I just thought this is SO cool! :D :D

Then you moved to the giant metropolis of Norton, KS, population 2956 :D

Ya got me beat, Chaplin, CT is only 2268 BUT at least civilization is only ten minutes away (unlike Norton :0 :p :D )

:sign:

Actually there was a short year and a half to two year layover in Ord Nebraska. Small as well, but close to grand Island and not so far really from Lincoln and Omaha. Your right though, Norton is tiny AND remote. For the area it's a little bigger then the surounding area. Roughly 3,000 in Norton and 6,000 in Norton county compared to about roughly 3,000 in each of the bordering counties. 300-350 miles to Kansas City or Denver. 90 miles to Kearney. 60 miles just to the nearest Wal-Mart for cryin out loud. Can you believe anyone in this day and age is 60 miles from a Wal-Mart? Thats 2 hours travel time and 5 or six gallons of gas just for Sam's Cola!

Yep, No civilization for us. :(

The Wal-Mart is five minutes from me :sign:

The population of my town at 2268 is the 16th SMALLEST in Connecticut. The funny thing is we border three SMALLER towns than us, Eastford, Hampton and Scotland. It's a little "rural" pocket surrounded by towns that average 10,000 - 20,000. So yes, my town is very small BUT less then ten minutes south is Windham with a population of over 20,000 and just ten minutes west of us in Mansfield where the University of Connecticut is located. It's a best of both worlds, nice small town but very close to just about anything you need.

We have a mega-mall about a half an hour away in Manchester (pop 50,000+)

I saw that by far the largest "first ancestries" in Norton is Germany three times more than the next highest which is England. My grandparents came from Germany in 1911 but there aren't than many Germans around here. They usually came here to farm BUT it looks like my grandfather never heard about the nice, flat midwest and decided to farm the rocks here. MAN do we have rocks!! (See my photos in vewy's pass) That's why all the original farmers from the early 1800's LEFT the northeast and went out west to farm. The population of Connecticut DECREASED significantly through the mid 1800's with many farmers leaving the rocks for the nice flat midwest. With the onset of the industrial age in the very late 1800's/early 1900's and immigrants from Europe, our population took off.

I don't have the stuff in front of me so this is just from memory, but my Hoyt side of my family has been in this country since the earliest colonys. There is a tradition in the family that our orgins are German having left the Von off the name VonHoyt. (I don't know German enough to know if thats proper format). The most extensive research I've seen yet though suggests that our family may have been dutch and the name may have been VanHoyt. That seems pretty conclusive, but I like to think German anyway. Sounds meaner and tougher, like I could conquer France at any given moment.

My Family lived in Norton county for an extensive period and the county actaully had a much larger population in the late 19th early 20th century. Most of the Hoyts moved to Oregon durring the dustbowl depression days though. My Dads family did and still does live in or near the blue mountains of Northeast Oregon. My mother ended up there as well, though her family mostly stayed around here. They both met and were married in Oregon just after World War Two. Dad choose to move back here when he finally retired.

Look at me, Kinda thread jacking my own thread.

My God Gibu, go to bed already! Just teasing-that's pretty cool that you saw your town on t.v. though. I still have all of you beat. Sutton Nebraska has 1,369 people. :D

:sign: :sign: :sign:

SFG75 said:
My God Gibu, go to bed already! Just teasing-that's pretty cool that you saw your town on t.v. though. I still have all of you beat. Sutton Nebraska has 1,369 people. :D

Hey, Get off my case!! You probably just came inside from smoking a cigar in the middle of a cold a** rain storm. (Rained hard here today.) I'm suprised you didn't get electicuted since I'm sure you had that space heater with you thats capable of heating all of the great outdoors to a toasty 102 degrees. :p

Thats a REALLY nice web site, especially for such a small town. Who put all that work into it? The interactive map made it very easy to locate all the rail road crossings you've lived in the middle of. :thumbs: :p I really can pick out you lot though pretty easy. Very cool. If you look very very close you can almost see a wee tiny couch going into a second story window. :sign:

progressive and prosperous rural community

Is the Sutton, NE webmaster getting a little too carried away here? :D :sign:

WOW, is that US Route 6 that runs through Sutton? US Route 6 runs through the middle of my town too!! I guess if I ever want to herf with SFG75, I won't need a map, just follow Route 6 FOR ABOUT THREE MONTHS :p

Nebraska is one of the most REPUBLICAN states in the country. So Republican that in fact it was the ONLY state that Clinton did not visit at all during his 1996 presidential campaign. :0 :p :thumbs:

Isn't your Congressman former Nebraska football coach Tom Osborne? Now THAT is cool :thumbs:

Right Gibu? :sign:

coventrycat86 said:

Nebraska is one of the most REPUBLICAN states in the country. So Republican that in fact it was the ONLY state that Clinton did not visit at all during his 1996 presidential campaign. :0 :p :thumbs:

Isn't your Congressman former Nebraska football coach Tom Osborne? Now THAT is cool :thumbs:

Hehehe, Where to start with that can of worms you just opened CC? This is good....... :p :p :p

Ok first, don't ask Scott about Republican politics. He goes to (no wait, organizes?)the other meetings and sometimes has little pet names for us republicans. Not a great topic for this site but if you PM him he might be able to point you at a good political debate site. Pm Scott though, I think you two would have a lot to disscuss.

Tom Osborn may seem like just another reluctant politician, but you know that joke that ends with Tom telling God that the people of Nebraska think Gods sittin in Tom's seat?......... Thats no joke!! They Do!!........ Plus there record before, durring, and since his reign may actually support there case on that. I even get a special tingle just driving down the Tom Osborn expressway myself. I lived there for a while and must conffess I'm still one of them......... except durring the Kst. Nebraska game. Go Cats!!

My short attention span is already on to another topic.

US ROUTE 6.

It starts at the very end of Cape Cod and goes all the way to California and YES, I just confirmed that it IS INDEED the same highway that runs through my town.

The "Famous" highway of legend is US 66 but first off, it starts in Chigago or already in the middle of the country AND lots of it no longer exists. Route 6 is much longer and is still in existance (you can follow signs for it from Provincetown, MA through the following states:

MA, RI, CT, NY, PA, OH, IN, IL, IA, NE, CO, NV and ending in CA. I lost it in Bishop, CA but maybe someone has a better map as I would guess that is does actually end up on the Pacific coast somewhere.

That is one LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG highway :thumbs:

Now I got that song, "Life Is A Highway" in my head!!!............. Wheres my Limewire....... ho de ho..... hmm hmm hmm .....life is a highway.... and I want to ride it all night long......... no NO NOOO!!! Get the atlas... foget the song! WHeres something hard and pointy? Must drive this .... song... outta....

OUCH!! Ok thats better.

SFG75 said:

I must be in 2nd place. Stewartstown, PA population 1,752 per the 2000 census.

coventrycat86 said:

WOW, is that US Route 6 that runs through Sutton? US Route 6 runs through the middle of my town too!! I guess if I ever want to herf with SFG75, I won't need a map, just follow Route 6 FOR ABOUT THREE MONTHS :p

That is so cool that you too, live on highway 6! I'm just a stone's throw from it and yes, I'm practically on the Burlington line. When the train rumbles by, I can tell what the engineer is wearing....or is not wearing ??? :p

Yes CCat, Tom Osborne is my 3rd district congressman. We have three congressional seats currently(we lost our fourth one to redistricting in about 1980) Gibu is totally correct, people here think Osborne just walks on water. He could sell drugs to children and people would think it was the best thing he has ever done. They have no clue what his views on renewable energy are or what his ag policy is all about. But darn it!, they'll be able to tell you what years he won championships!, and that makes him a capable man fit to be a representative! How many has KSU won???? ??? :sign: Oh yeah, none!! You can check out Congressman Tom's website here. The 3rd district is roughly the size of Iowa and the democrats have never won it, not even during the depression. Most of the democrats are in Lincoln and Omaha which explains why they hold both mayoral seats and one senate seat. :thumbs:

Yes Steve, I smoked outside in the rough weather with randyb1. You know why our weather is so volatile don't you? That's because Wyoming sucks and Kansas (State) blows. :D :D :sign:

:sign: :sign:

I've been to Duchesne a few times though it's been a while. I went to a little 1A high school and we used to play Duchesne every year. I must have been there at least a couple times while you were living there Steve :)

lucasbuck said:
I've been to Duchesne a few times though it's been a while. I went to a little 1A high school and we used to play Duchesne every year. I must have been there at least a couple times while you were living there Steve :)
You guys have six or eight man football? Nebraska got rid of six man in the early nineties-funny thing about it, if you have a guy who can run a 4.1 or 4.2 40, you are pretty much guaranteed a a shoe-in to go to the the state championship game.

Football, what's that?

My high school was a regional high school for THREE towns, Chaplin, Hampton & Scotland. My graduating class was 56 and lately, it's been less than 40.

My high school did not have a football team, heck we barely had enough to field a soccer team. The only other fall sport was cross country and we were lucky if we ever had the minimum five runners to compete in meets. In winter, the only sport was basketball and in spring it was track & baseball.

Many small high schools in eastern Connecticut don't have football teams :0