• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Dunhill blend 965 is it rare or discontinued?

steamboat

Future Skinny Person
One of my friends says it is impossille to get and another says it isn't.

Did they stop making it and maybe another company makes it now?

The last I heard, Dunhill still does not have a distributor here in the US. Most Dunhill blends are gone for now, but will supposedly be back once they get the distribution stuff straightened out.

You can still get it if you look hard enough.

The longer you save it the more the price will rise of course. The problem is I can't save it. I found a tin of EMP last week and it's taking everything in my power not to crack the tin.

Are you wanting to find some to try or are you trying to find some to sell? If you want some to try, I may be able to help you out. If you're looking for some to sell, I can't help you.

Yeah, I'm really confused.

965 can be purchased easily from Japan and a few other places. It's not terribly terribly expensive over there, but the shipping is a bit daunting. Basically you can have all you want at around $20-$25 per tin.

It's still in production.

It is completely unknown if any of the Dunhill blends will end up back in the United States or not. I do know that there are fairly high profile pipe smokers that are actively engaged with BAT (the company that owns the rights to the Dunhill name as it relates to pipe tobacco) trying to get something sorted out.

The moment that this happens, if it does, all speculators will get the shaft, big time, as Dunhill blends will be available in tins and bulk again at cheap prices.

Long story short, I think you'd be an idiot to buy a bunch of stock now at $15-$20 thinking that the price is guaranteed to go up... I suspect at the very least that it'll still be readily available overseas for a while, and as long as that's going on, there'll be a logical ceiling on the price. Not to mention if the status quo continues that there'll be pipe smokers that figure out how to get wholesale accounts overseas and start importing it at 100 tins a whack... there is money to be made, but it's probably $2-$5 per tin, max...

Are you wanting to find some to try or are you trying to find some to sell? If you want some to try, I may be able to help you out. If you're looking for some to sell, I can't help you.

My friend knows where he can buy 3 1lb. packages at $40 each. He thinks it will sell much higher. I am clueless so I came to the mountain to ask the wise men.

My friend knows where he can buy 3 1lb. packages at $40 each. He thinks it will sell much higher. I am clueless so I came to the mountain to ask the wise men.

Well, I think you'll find a lot of people here object to profiteering.

I'm not going to get on my moral soapbox, but at $40 per pound, that's not that big of a premium over what it went for when it was readily available.

I am sure he can get more $$ for it than that, but I have a hard time imagining where he'd actually be able to sell it. eBay doesn't allow tobacco sales. CraigsList doesn't either.

I don't think there are buyers here, just a hunch, you might get a taker or two, but obviously the higher the price, the less you'll sell.

For me personally being able to buy something like a GL Pease blend at $9 for 2 oz in a lovely easy to store tin, there's no way I'd pay even close to the $72 per pound for bulk 965, and I love 965. I'd take Westminster in tins over that. There are also Gawith bulk tobaccos that I'd take at $40 a pound over 965 at $60 a pound.

So, that's just me, but I think you'll find that most pipers if you come blazing on a board and don't know many folks and offer 965 at $100 per pound will just go "eh" or might even run you out of town. Hard to say.

Let me toss something else out there, though... which is you do have a nice opportunity to do some favors for other people. Me, I wouldn't know what to do with three pounds of 965, but if I had the opportunity to buy them at $40 per, I'd buy them, and keep one pound, and offer the other pounds to friends or people on this board at cost. That's what I'd do.

(Speaking of which, if you do decide that you aren't going to buy the pounds, drop me a PM with the source, I'll gladly buy the stuff and offer it here.)

I'm not going to get on my moral soapbox, but at $40 per pound, that's not that big of a premium over what it went for when it was readily available.

I am sure he can get more $$ for it than that, but I have a hard time imagining where he'd actually be able to sell it. eBay doesn't allow tobacco sales. CraigsList doesn't either.

I don't think there are buyers here, just a hunch, you might get a taker or two, but obviously the higher the price, the less you'll sell.

For me personally being able to buy something like a GL Pease blend at $9 for 2 oz in a lovely easy to store tin, there's no way I'd pay even close to the $72 per pound for bulk 965, and I love 965. I'd take Westminster in tins over that. There are also Gawith bulk tobaccos that I'd take at $40 a pound over 965 at $60 a pound.

So, that's just me, but I think you'll find that most pipers if you come blazing on a board and don't know many folks and offer 965 at $100 per pound will just go "eh" or might even run you out of town. Hard to say.

Let me toss something else out there, though... which is you do have a nice opportunity to do some favors for other people. Me, I wouldn't know what to do with three pounds of 965, but if I had the opportunity to buy them at $40 per, I'd buy them, and keep one pound, and offer the other pounds to friends or people on this board at cost. That's what I'd do.

(Speaking of which, if you do decide that you aren't going to buy the pounds, drop me a PM with the source, I'll gladly buy the stuff and offer it here.)

I have not and will not profiteer from Cigarpass. I was looking for information in an attempt to verify something I was told. I don't appreciate your assumption that I would attempt to gouge my BOTL's.

You don't know me and you made your post fairly early in the morning so I am giving you a pass with no hard feelings.

I have not and will not profiteer from Cigarpass. I was looking for information in an attempt to verify something I was told. I don't appreciate your assumption that I would attempt to gouge my BOTL's.

You don't know me and you made your post fairly early in the morning so I am giving you a pass with no hard feelings.

I think you are jumping to conclusions as to what I was implying, but hey, whatever, obviously two people can read my post and come away with different opinions.

Basically I think that there are lots of people who would buy 965 at $40 per pound, and very few people who would buy it at $60. Combine that with the risk that the Dunhill thing will get all cleared up and the market flooded with the product at regular retail prices, and I wouldn't buy 965 just to flip it, like your friend is proposing.

I just find it a bit weird when people come on here and ask strange questions trying to confirm something for a "friend". I see this all the time on boards where they discuss "forbidden fruit" and so for me, personally, when I see someone asking for some info for a friend, I just kind of assume it's for them.

That's my bad, and I apologize.

I bought my last pound of 965 for about $32 6 months ago and I paid about $4 too much.

If your friend wants to try his idea, more power to him. He's not going to get rich selling it and in my opinion he'd be a better man if he just passed on the source to someone who's interested rather than taking advantage of the situation.

He will be treated poorly if he just jumps in somewhere to sell it at a premium.

I think you are jumping to conclusions as to what I was implying, but hey, whatever, obviously two people can read my post and come away with different opinions.

Basically I think that there are lots of people who would buy 965 at $40 per pound, and very few people who would buy it at $60. Combine that with the risk that the Dunhill thing will get all cleared up and the market flooded with the product at regular retail prices, and I wouldn't buy 965 just to flip it, like your friend is proposing.

I just find it a bit weird when people come on here and ask strange questions trying to confirm something for a "friend". I see this all the time on boards where they discuss "forbidden fruit" and so for me, personally, when I see someone asking for some info for a friend, I just kind of assume it's for them.

That's my bad, and I apologize.

He wants me to go in with him and I am trying to figure out if it makes sense.

Edit;

It would be nice not to be quilty until proven innocent but you guys don't know me so I can't reasonably expect very much. My friend runs a charity, a real one not a scam or front and what will most likely happen, I will buy the tobacco, donate it and whatever profit if any will go to feed hungry children here in our community.

In the perfect scenario, the buyer gets some rare/ HTF tobacco and a tax deduction and a local family gets to eat.

I like doing it this way because my small initial donation often gets parlayed into something that goes much further and helps more children. I once paid for a couple of bottles of very collectable bourbon, which we sold on eBay and that worked out really well. I am just trying to figure out if this tobacco is an opportunity to do some good.

I didn't want to go through all this because I mistakenly believed I had been active enough on Cigarpass that I could ask a simple question without it automatically being assumed that I was up to something.

The man apologized for making the assumption, no need to get so defensive.

I asked my question because I am willing to part with a sample if you're looking to try it, but I'm not interested in selling it or anything like that.

Had you come in and said "My friend can get 3 lbs of 965 for $40 per and is looking to sell it for charity. Will he be able to sell it for enough to make it worthwhile?" all of this other BS could have been avoided. There's no need to be coy around here if there's nothing to hide.

All you have to do to avoid assumptions is eliminate any reason someone may make them.

The man apologized for making the assumption, no need to get so defensive.

I asked my question because I am willing to part with a sample if you're looking to try it, but I'm not interested in selling it or anything like that.

Had you come in and said "My friend can get 3 lbs of 965 for $40 per and is looking to sell it for charity. Will he be able to sell it for enough to make it worthwhile?" all of this other BS could have been avoided. There's no need to be coy around here if there's nothing to hide.

All you have to do to avoid assumptions is eliminate any reason someone may make them.

If that actually qualifies as an apology it was the weakest and most left handed one I have ever recieved.

A BOTL shouldn't have to prequalify every post.

If that actually qualifies as an apology it was the weakest and most left handed one I have ever recieved.
You must not have any kids. :laugh:

He assumed you were asking for yourself based on his previous experiences and then apologized for his assumption and you call his apology weak and left handed? What more would you like him to do? And what's wrong with lefties? My mama is a lefty. :angry: :rolleyes: :laugh:

Actually, given these words...
...it sounds as though you were asking for your benefit and not your friend's benefit.

That's a statement of fact, there is no accusation there. The notion that there aren't a lot of venues to sell pipe tobacco online other than on forums and that you are likely to get the cold shoulder at most of those places if you go in with a very high price is also a statement of fact and not an accusation. I'm finding it difficult to discover the offensive remark in this situation.

You assume the worst of intentions from his words yet expect unflinching trust with regards to yours. That's not exactly fair minded.

If one wishes to receive the benefit of the doubt, one should be willing to give it.

Correct. A BOTL should also be forthright with pertinent information if he wants a good answer to his actual question. Your ultimate question bears little resemblance to your initial questions. We were 8 posts into this thread before we had even half of your actual question on the table.

You could have avoided any misunderstanding by being more clear in your first post and outlining your intentions. Had it been known that a charity were involved from the start, you may have been able to raise even more money. There's nothing wrong with your ultimate question, so why not just ask it from the beginning? Like I said before, there's no reason to be coy around here. If you have a question, ask it, don't beat around the bush.

Take this as the constructive advice it's meant to be, not as some sort of condemnation. If you take it as the latter, you're reading too much into my words and you're ascribing to me a position for which I am unworthy.

Whew! I'm glad that was all cleared up! ;) A very concise and clear ANALysis of ASSumptions, too, Alan! ;)

BTW, you certainly CAN sell tobacco on eBay - as long as it's in a collectible container. Does a 1LB plastic bag with a label on it that says "Dunhill 965" qualify? Not sure, actually. You can buy tobacco in bags like Esoterica uses; but, it's a fancy(airtight) bag! :thumbs: :D But people shy away from such sales because you can't be sure of the freshness when it's in a plastic bag.

You must not have any kids. :laugh:

He assumed you were asking for yourself based on his previous experiences and then apologized for his assumption and you call his apology weak and left handed? What more would you like him to do? And what's wrong with lefties? My mama is a lefty. :angry: :rolleyes: :laugh:

Actually, given these words...
...it sounds as though you were asking for your benefit and not your friend's benefit.

That's a statement of fact, there is no accusation there. The notion that there aren't a lot of venues to sell pipe tobacco online other than on forums and that you are likely to get the cold shoulder at most of those places if you go in with a very high price is also a statement of fact and not an accusation. I'm finding it difficult to discover the offensive remark in this situation.

You assume the worst of intentions from his words yet expect unflinching trust with regards to yours. That's not exactly fair minded.

If one wishes to receive the benefit of the doubt, one should be willing to give it.

Correct. A BOTL should also be forthright with pertinent information if he wants a good answer to his actual question. Your ultimate question bears little resemblance to your initial questions. We were 8 posts into this thread before we had even half of your actual question on the table.

You could have avoided any misunderstanding by being more clear in your first post and outlining your intentions. Had it been known that a charity were involved from the start, you may have been able to raise even more money. There's nothing wrong with your ultimate question, so why not just ask it from the beginning? Like I said before, there's no reason to be coy around here. If you have a question, ask it, don't beat around the bush.

Take this as the constructive advice it's meant to be, not as some sort of condemnation. If you take it as the latter, you're reading too much into my words and you're ascribing to me a position for which I am unworthy.

I asked about the value which is all I wanted to know. I didn't "clarify" because I had no intention of offering it for sale on Cigarpass. You guys made the assunption that I was gouging and profiteering and was going to attempt to sell it on Cigarpass, that is the only reason I informed you that a charity was involved. I have worked hard to build and maintain a reputation as a good trader on Cigarpass and I didn't want any BOTL that reads this thread to join in your assumptions that I plan to gouge my brothers.

I am a damn good salesman and if my intentions were to make a sale here, the set up would have begun in the OP.

Whew! I'm glad that was all cleared up! ;) A very concise and clear ANALysis of ASSumptions, too, Alan! ;)

BTW, you certainly CAN sell tobacco on eBay - as long as it's in a collectible container. Does a 1LB plastic bag with a label on it that says "Dunhill 965" qualify? Not sure, actually. You can buy tobacco in bags like Esoterica uses; but, it's a fancy(airtight) bag! :thumbs: :D But people shy away from such sales because you can't be sure of the freshness when it's in a plastic bag.

I believe they also allow you to sell tobacco and liquor that is commercially unavailabe. I sold the bourbon for the charity on ebay and had no problems.

I asked about the value which is all I wanted to know. I didn't "clarify" because I had no intention of offering it for sale on Cigarpass. You guys made the assunption that I was gouging and profiteering and was going to attempt to sell it on Cigarpass, that is the only reason I informed you that a charity was involved. I have worked hard to build and maintain a reputation as a good trader on Cigarpass and I didn't want any BOTL that reads this thread to join in your assumptions that I plan to gouge my brothers.

I am a damn good salesman and if my intentions were to make a sale here, the set up would have begun in the OP.

No, you asked if it was hard to find and if it was expensive, even though you already knew where to get it and how much it costs. Like I said before, had you asked your actual question (if you can sell it for charity at enough of a profit to make the investment in its purchase make sense) from the beginning nobody would have batted an eye.

Nobody assumed you were profiteering or anything else. I assumed you wanted to try some and couldn't find it based on your first post. I'm willing to help in that situation, but I'm not selling any of my 965. I like it and I want to smoke it.

However, you are looking to profit, even though those profits are going to charity. The fact that you're not doing it here doesn't mean you're not doing it at all.

Nobody impugned your reputation, nobody accused you of anything. You read into words meaning that was not there. The problem here is with your response, not your question.

I'm done with this nonsense. You've taken offense where none was meant, refused and belittled an honest apology, and continued to harbor hard feelings over something that is infinitesimally small in the grand scheme of things. I can't communicate any more clearly my position here, so I'm going to stop trying.

Good day to you and good luck with your project. I hope you raise a lot of money for the kids.