• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Dupont Lighter

SD_Stack

Former J.R. 1am Monitor
I have a few questions about the Dupont lighters.

- Are they worth the cost. (I know that no lighter is worth that kind of money, but for a luxury item purchase and being stupid with money, are they recommended?)

- Are they all basically the same mechanically and the price difference is the finish on the lighter? ie: silver, gold, etc.

- The special lighter fluid that you have to buy that costs $5... does that fill the lighter once or several times like normal?

- How do the models differ?

- Whats the cheapest/best place to buy one?

Any other comments or suggestions would be appreciated. :D

well, what exactly are you looking for?

i have a dupont x-tend, and i really like it.
granted it does have a little problem with the shutters closing every once in a while, but that's okay, cause i just double check and it'll close.

it's extremely expensive so i take extra good care of it as to not to scratch it up.

it has a 1 year warranty, but that's from the date that's marked on the card.
if the card isn't marked...

er um, where was i again?

it's a torch lighter, and this particular one makes it really easy to light cigars.
it does use up lighter fluid like crazy tho, but that's because i mess with it a lot. like light it for no other purpose than to burn random things.

i use lava butane in lighter. screw the dupont butane.
the price difference is basically how much you're willing to spend.
and the warranty issue.

the linge series has a lifetime warranty, while these only have a "year".
and the ligne series isn't a torch, but regular. torch lighters generally burn themselves to death, so to speak, beacuse they get too hot for their own good.

the cooler looking lighters go for more, generally. a black/grey lighter would go for more than, say, an orange or red one, because more people prefer those than the lighter colored one.

i would really recommend the x-tend. it's a good price, if you can find it. got mine on the evil cbid. about 80 bucks for a charcoal grey. it works really well for lighting my cigars, and fixing burn problems.
mike's cigars had a special where you could get them for 70 bucks. i don't know if that's still up tho.

lava butane can fill the lighter up way more than 10 times. i've filled mine up like 3 or 4, and theres' still so much fluid left in the can.

let's see if there's anything else that i havne't covered.

oh, i'm not sure about how many different lines of ligheters dupont has. i knwo they have the ones that are regular flint that make a loud sound when you open them. i have one, but it's made by nibo. it serves the same thing, and has a limited warranty. but still, it's cool for only 20 bucks. the xtend is the only other one i know of.

WOW jolly, that all sounds way too confusing to me.

I'll stick to my Zippos.

I have a "torch" butane lighter and the friggin thing doesn't work. I'm aslo too irresponsible to own an expensive lighter, I'd just lose it. I get my Zippos at antique shops and yard sales for a few bucks each.

I appreciate the info Jolly.

I don't want the "extreme." I already have a high end $100 Colibri Torch Cigar Lighter.

I am looking for the $500 Dupont that "Makes the load noise" :p when you open it! :p

One, they are not worth the money (only if you have it to waste)

Two, you're paying all that money for a damn flame lighter

Three, they are all mechanically the same and price changes as style changes (except some are dual-flame)

Four, the fluid only refills the lighter ONCE!

Five, The is really no "cheapest "place to buy one (the lowest end model starts at $300)

And finally, did I mention they weren't worth the money?

You're only paying for the name my friend, nothing else. Think of it as a really fancy Zippo! :thumbs: :D

well, you're paying for name, quality control, and lifetime warranty.

and thing sound.

just do what i did and buy one that looks like a dupont for 20 bucks.
it works the same, and has the same style and everything.
it just says nibo on the bottom, but that can be rubbed out, eventually.

i really like the extend.
the ones that cost more than 500 is because of the design, it looks cooler or soemthing. maybe it's harder to draw?

i like lighters.

I disagree 100% with what the previous poster said. The Duponts ARE worth the extra scratch, if you have it to spend frivolously(sp?). And, there are places to get them a bit cheaper than others. I have the Extend, a great lighter, but really no different than any other torch lighter as far as mechanics and flame output, plus they tend to burn themselves out faster than some of the drugstore varieties out there. If you were looking for a torch I'd suggest Blazzer, if you could find one, before the Extend, but it is still a good lighter. I didn't pay for mine or else I wouldn't have one.

Now, for the "real" Duponts. They are far from expensive Zippos. Totally different mechanics and much more reliable and definatley better to look at. I have one of the Habanos Series Ligne 2s. It makes the "ping" sounds you're referring to, as do all Ligne 2s and Gatzbys. The price difference between the different series is mechanics and material (i.e. size, weight, etc.). The price difference within model series is the finish. Some are collectibles, some are for everyday use. Depending on what you're looking for as far as finish/collectbility, will decide how much you'll pay. I can get a black laquered Ligne 2 for $400, the Habanos Series are upwards of $600.

To me, they are worth it. But, I will also spend over $100 on a cigar, drink expensive rum over Bacardi, wear Polo clothes over Wrangler and an expensive watch over a Timex. ;)

Oh and the Nibos are nice knock-offs....but they don't "ping", they "pong". LMAO!

thanks for clearing some of that up.

i'm a poor college student, so i can't afford such luxuries... yet.

hence, i'd rather spend my money on more cigars than on a lighter.

most of the torch lighters i own are pretty darn sucky compared to the xtend.

Damn, I must be a cheap SOB. I bought a box of 50 butanes on ebay for $12.50 delivered almost 2 years ago and still have about 15 - 20 left. More money left over for more important things.

Matt R said:
Oh and the Nibos are nice knock-offs....but they don't "ping", they "pong". LMAO!

TFF. I bought a couple of the "PONG" models. Nice looking lighter, impresive around people that don't know the difference, and they do a good job of lighting you cigars. You also get what you pay for. ;)

You can get an X-tend for about $70 or $80 on CB. A cigar buddy of mine has it. It definitely lights better than my p.o.s.. However, in my experience, any torch type lighter works well whether you spend $10 or $300. It's just a matter of taste and preference. Utility-wise, they're marginal, imo... you're really paying for style and image. :)

My next lighter? One of those desk torches... except I'm gonna "Tim Taylor"-ize it and have that sucker spew out a 24" flame. I want to be able to light my cigar from another room. :thumbs:

Phishy... get yourself one of these:
lighter-vi.jpg

Matt R said:
Phishy... get yourself one of these:
lighter-vi.jpg
Hey! LOL... I've got one of those! It would be great fun at a herf. (if I was to every be able to go to one.

BTW: Thanks for the nudge on the lighter Match. That may be all it takes to push me over the edge and get one. I'll have to go with eBay and save some money. ;)