• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Duty free Glenlivet Distiller's reserve

jethro-b

I recently bought a bottle of Glenlivet Distiller's Reserve at the duty free in Washington State. The tasting notes on the box looked interesting. But there is no age statement anywhere on it. It was a couple bucks more than the 15 year old I had my eye on before being swayed. I could not find any info on the web and nothing on this forum. Not sure if I should stick it on the back of the shelf to wait its turn or get into it now. Not sure if it was a good choice over the 15 year old.

Its seems to be 40% , aged in 3 casks – Sherry , American Oak and traditional Oak casks. It was the sherry cask that got me.

Anybody had it ?

I opened up the bottle last night (It was either that or send it to 2K6TBSS) and poured about 2 fingers, added about 1 teaspoon of distilled water. In hindsight I am not sure the water was needed and I don't think I will use that much water with it in the future.

Nose: soft, sweet, fruity, overripe pear, Cinnamon ? ?

Flavor: sweet, very delicate with no sharp edges. Subdued spice. Honey. A hint of the oak barrel. Earthy, a step short of peaty

Finish: Short finish except for fruit which fades to earth and stays around. Realy nice.

While tasting I kept thinking “top notch blend” . Anyone will enjoy this. Very easy to drink.

Tonight I poured a very small shot and tasted it neat. The overripe fruit really stood out. Like fruit on the ground under a tree, apple maybe. A little more spice and subtle oak. Overall quite sweet and balanced, I really liked it, but it may not have enough kick for some folks. Like it more than Macallan 12 or Glenfiddich 18. So I think it was a good buy for the 44 or 46 dollars I paid for it.

Sounds like a good buy then. If you like it, that's all that matters.

Did you buy this bottle at the SEATAC Airport? I might have to get a bottle next time I'm up there...

No I bought it Aldergrove crossing. I forgot to mention that it is a "travel retail release" , I assume that means duty free only.

Sounds like a great scotch. Definitely something that I would enjoy. Especially if it's better than the Macallan 12yo...which is my goto "daily" scotch.

I don't consider myself a great reviewer , and I am not a tasting expert by any means but I think it is a good Scotch

I will Get artsy here and link a photo of the bottle

2012-06-20_12-38-35_4862.jpg

It's been out since 2011 and has generally gotten good reviews. Was going to pick one up but didn't make the duty free store my last trip.

Back