• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

El Cobre

BrewMeister

The Titus Pullo of CP
Reaction score
Till a short time ago I'd never heard of an El Cobre. I suppose every week I learn of a new cigar, however, this particular cigar for some reason peeked my interest. I'm not a tremendous fan of the Oliva smokes, I think the best of the Oliva I've tried up till now would be the original Master Blend. I supposed what peeked my interest was a hard to believe recommendation by a BOTL here on CP. So since I'd been on a cigar buying spree as of late to beat the pending $10 a stick tax, or at least that is the excuse I've been telling myself, I thought what the heck at $90 a box for the Torpedos, I'll give them a try. Well after ordering I get a call from the vendor. He tells me the Torpedos are gone, would I be interested in another size, perhaps the Toros. I tell him no thanks. He then says he thinks he can order me a box. So I tell him OK, so long as you don't charge me till they ship, no problem. About 5 days later the bundle shows up. I was a bit surprised that they were a bundled cigar as the site indicates a box. But what the heck, I have too many empty boxes already. So I put the 25 nice looking sticks in the humidor for a bit.

Well mid-morning today after a Gran Habano with my first cup of coffee I decide to torch one of the El Cobres with my second cup of coffee. I hadn't exactly planned on doing a review prior to starting so I hadn't taken any notes about the cigar as I normally do prior to clipping and lighting etc. But once I started smoking it, I thought I really should do a review. So here goes.

ElCobre_2.jpg

It was a Torpedo 6.5 x 52. The wrapper was a dark coffee bean brown with a little of an oily and bumpy texture. It was firm from foot to cap, and the pre-light draw was very complex and rich. I toasted the foot a bit and fired it up. It lit very nicely and immediately delivered a fantastic volume of smoke. The draw was perfect. The initial flavors were very creamy and rich. I say rich, and not strong or powerful because that is what made this cigar remarkable for me. It delivered a very complex array of rich flavors, a robust aroma and a medium to full body without a bit of harshness. It had a hint of a chocolate with an earthy undertone. Occasionally I detected a bit of spice, perhaps nutmeg.

ElCobre_1.jpg

As I smoked into the mid-way point the flavors became more rich and complex. The draw remained perfect and the ash was firm, not flaky, and almost white. The burn was slow and just a bit off, however, since I was sitting under a full speed ceiling fan, that may have cause a bit of the problem.

ElCobre_3.jpg

The more of it I smoked the more I enjoyed it. It was a very very enjoyable cigar! As I finished my thoughts revolved around weather or not I should grab another bundle. It was that good.

ElCobre_4.jpg

On my scale it was a solid 5.

FYI my evaluation scale. I know its not the most elaborate but it works for me:

*****(5). Order more now, and keep on hand.
****(4). Order some, when I want a little variety in the humidor.
***(3). I'd smoke it if it was handed to me.
**(2). Keep to give to moochers
*(1). Dog Rocket - Stay away from these

(Edited to update the image links)

Very nice review, Tim! I saw sgates' review a couple of weeks ago and wondered about these also. I'm glad you found some and concur with his experience.

This looks like a stick I'd like to try, what's the possibility of you bringing a couple to trade at the BBQ Herf? :)

So do you believe the recommendation now? IMHO, better than the Master Blends 3 (not the first one though).

Glad you enjoyed them! Now the hard part is to let them age & become amazing cigars. :thumbs:

So do you believe the recommendation now? IMHO, better than the Master Blends 3 (not the first one though).

Glad you enjoyed them! Now the hard part is to let them age & become amazing cigars. :thumbs:

Don't know about its comparison to an OPUS X?? I've not smoked enough of them to accurately compare. Personally, I enjoyed it much more than the original Master Blend. And the El Cobre is a totally different flavor profile IMO. Thanks so much for the original post, without it I'd have missed out on this cigar. As far as the aging, do you think these already have some time on them? I suspect they do as I believe they are a limited production cigar and haven't been produced for some time. Is that correct?

Thanks again! :thumbs: