• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

El Rey Del Mundo

Guitar_Gatler

The Dude
I got a 5'er of these about a month ago and thought I would give one a try tonight. These things are a little bit on the large side at 6x54, and come wrapped in tissue paper. The presentation and appearance was definitely pretty nice looking. I didn't drink anything with this one...thinking back now, I think a nice cup of hot coffee would have gone really well with it(mmmmm...folgers in your cup). I've tried the Robusto before and was reading review after review that claimed this one was even better so I had to try it.

When I clipped it I noticed there was a little bit of a crack in the wrapper but it wasn't really anything to worry about(or so I thought). The pre-light draw was very sweet and earthy and the first few puffs were VERY nutty. It mellowed out quite a bit after the first 5 minutes or so and settled into a nice sweet dark chocolate/nutty taste and aroma.

I thought it was going to stay consistently chocolaty for a while but after the first inch it started to get a little bit earthy and gradually turned woody. The sweetness lingered behind the cedar/woody flavors through the midpoint of the cigar. The first half of this cigar made me wish I had gotten more of these things! It was very smooth and creamy with a sweetness that made me want to chew on the end while I was smoking it. The earthy flavors I remembered from the pre-light draw never really showed up after lighting it, but it definitely had a consistent amount of dark chocolate and cedar...and even a little bit of dark roasted coffee.

Right at the halfway point the wrapper started to give me a little bit of trouble and was trying to unravel on me. All I had to do was put it back on and not forget to hold it there.

The last half seemed like it could have been better. It came back at me with sweetness and nutty chocolate flavors but everything started to get a little bit harsh. I might have to leave the rest of these in the coolidor for a little while and see if it changes anything. I was expecting a nice smooth creamy finish to accompany what started out as an amazing smoke, but all I got was an anticlimactic harshness. In comparison to the Robusto(it's little brother), I would have to say this one is not far off. It's a little bit more sweet, but other than that it's just a little bit longer(spent an hour and fifteen minutes enjoying this one). I'm still a little bit undecided about this one so I'll have to wait until I try the others before I really make my mind up about whether I'd want to splurge on a box or not.

I got a 5'er of these about a month ago and thought I would give one a try tonight. These things are a little bit on the large side at 6x54, and come wrapped in tissue paper. The presentation and appearance was definitely pretty nice looking. I didn't drink anything with this one...thinking back now, I think a nice cup of hot coffee would have gone really well with it(mmmmm...folgers in your cup). I've tried the Robusto before and was reading review after review that claimed this one was even better so I had to try it.

When I clipped it I noticed there was a little bit of a crack in the wrapper but it wasn't really anything to worry about(or so I thought). The pre-light draw was very sweet and earthy and the first few puffs were VERY nutty. It mellowed out quite a bit after the first 5 minutes or so and settled into a nice sweet dark chocolate/nutty taste and aroma.

I thought it was going to stay consistently chocolaty for a while but after the first inch it started to get a little bit earthy and gradually turned woody. The sweetness lingered behind the cedar/woody flavors through the midpoint of the cigar. The first half of this cigar made me wish I had gotten more of these things! It was very smooth and creamy with a sweetness that made me want to chew on the end while I was smoking it. The earthy flavors I remembered from the pre-light draw never really showed up after lighting it, but it definitely had a consistent amount of dark chocolate and cedar...and even a little bit of dark roasted coffee.

Right at the halfway point the wrapper started to give me a little bit of trouble and was trying to unravel on me. All I had to do was put it back on and not forget to hold it there.

The last half seemed like it could have been better. It came back at me with sweetness and nutty chocolate flavors but everything started to get a little bit harsh. I might have to leave the rest of these in the coolidor for a little while and see if it changes anything. I was expecting a nice smooth creamy finish to accompany what started out as an amazing smoke, but all I got was an anticlimactic harshness. In comparison to the Robusto(it's little brother), I would have to say this one is not far off. It's a little bit more sweet, but other than that it's just a little bit longer(spent an hour and fifteen minutes enjoying this one). I'm still a little bit undecided about this one so I'll have to wait until I try the others before I really make my mind up about whether I'd want to splurge on a box or not.

Nice Review. I find these to be a great smoke. And the price you find them at (~$58 a box of 20) to be fantastic.

Nice review. My coworker buys these cheap and offers them to me often when I come over. On saturday, I smoked 2 back to back. It messed me up and I couldn't smoke another cigar, or get the taste out of my mouth until today.

A. There is something going on with the wrapper. It seems every time there are 4 people total smoking these among us, 1 has a messed up wrapper. I had it once, then another 4, someone else had it... etc. Not sure what the deal is here, maybe they need a lower humidity. Everyone but me agreed it needed a higher humidity.

B. I like the first half of these. I think the Reserva Salado and the general release are very similar, maybe the general release is a little more mild. After the first quarter, it starts to get harsh, after halfway down, I really don't like these cigars.

In a nutshell, I think your review was dead on.

Nice review. My coworker buys these cheap and offers them to me often when I come over. On saturday, I smoked 2 back to back. It messed me up and I couldn't smoke another cigar, or get the taste out of my mouth until today.

A. There is something going on with the wrapper. It seems every time there are 4 people total smoking these among us, 1 has a messed up wrapper. I had it once, then another 4, someone else had it... etc. Not sure what the deal is here, maybe they need a lower humidity. Everyone but me agreed it needed a higher humidity.

B. I like the first half of these. I think the Reserva Salado and the general release are very similar, maybe the general release is a little more mild. After the first quarter, it starts to get harsh, after halfway down, I really don't like these cigars.

In a nutshell, I think your review was dead on.

Thanks! I think for the money, though, that they are a great cigar. I'm just not sure I can't find something better for the same price if not cheaper(I'm on a REALLY tight budget :D ). Like I said...I'll try the other 4 and see if they can vindicate themselves. I think you might be right about these ones liking a higher humidity level though. That could be something for me to look into.

Thanks! I think for the money, though, that they are a great cigar. I'm just not sure I can't find something better for the same price if not cheaper(I'm on a REALLY tight budget :D ).

Very near the same smoke, IMO, and a bit cheaper Consuegra, AKA Connie #73 in Maduro or Natural. About $30 a bundle of 25.

One of my favorites, especially for the price. I usually grab one of the Robusto Suprema's for a smoke when I feel like an ERDM these days. Let them sit for a while longer, and I don't think you will be disappointed at all in them. I am working on a box with about two years worth of age on it, and they are smoking great.

Bill

Nice review! I did a review on this cigar almost exactly a year ago and loved it as well. For the money they are about as good as it gets IMO. I do find that they smoke a bit better if I keep them closer to 70% rather then my usual 65%.

Well, I think I might have to be on the lookout for another cooler(smaller one that is) that I can keep at 70%...I think I saw one at walmart for 10 bucks the other day. I've still got some PG left from before I switched to beads...might be worth the 15 bucks..maybe?

I've had a 5er sitting in my humi since June...I just smoked one of them Saturday and it was glorious...The tissue was slightly yellowed. These have been one of my faves since I started smoking and never let me down. I've only ever had one that messed up on me and that was my fault. Great review...