• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Elijah Craig 12yo

Lemon

So, I went and bought a bottle of Elijah Craig 12yo bourbon, along with one Jim Beam Black and Old Overholt 4yo Rye Whiskey. Clearly the Elijah Craig was the star of my daring order from abroad. Of course I payed more than I would in the US, but seeing how I can't even get these in Finland, it was a bargain. No duties in the EU either. Now let's see...

First of all, I must say that a real cork sure makes a bottle look classier, which is the case with the Elijah Craig. A screwtop like on the other two in my order look kind of cheap, but the insides don't taste cheap ;) The Elijah Craig bottle simply looks great.

I got the idea of ordering this particular whiskey from, yes you guessed it, Jim Murray's Whiskey Bible 2005! I wanted something special, and I thought a score of 96 would do nicely. I took a chance that my taste might coincide with that of mr. Murray. Luckily it did. I might lack the experience to fully enjoy this whiskey, but I sure enjoyed it a lot (at least the half a shot I tasted ;)).

My review will be a bit thin, I can't do better right now :whistling: I poured about half a shot, not adding any water or ice (I rarely do). When nosing it, I could tell it's definately something different from what I'm used to. A deep, soft, sweet toffee is what I thought of. Very nice. Tasting it tells me the same: this is top-notch whiskey. I can't really even tell what I tasted, but I liked it. Somehow the only word I can think of is a "deep" taste, complex perhaps? It's very pleasant, but I can't even begin to point out any specific flavors. Having been aged 12 years isn't very much as far as I know, so somehow it seems to have gotten very far with _only_ 12 years of age. All in all, excellent stuff, and I guess for this price (payed about 31 USD for 0,7 litres) it's nearly unbeatable.

I re-read AVB's review on the 18yo Elijah Craig. You nicely crammed an informative review in a small space :thumbs: I could have read a lot more though ;)

And the other two: The Old Overholt was my first rye whiskey ever, so that's naturally interesting for me. The Jim Beam Black is definately better than the regular white label. Wish I could get this in Finland, could be a regular.

P.S. Feel free to correct/comment on my lingo and such :thumbs:

Lemon said:
So, I went and bought a bottle of Elijah Craig 12yo bourbon, along with one Jim Beam Black and Old Overholt 4yo Rye Whiskey. Clearly the Elijah Craig was the star of my daring order from abroad. Of course I payed more than I would in the US, but seeing how I can't even get these in Finland, it was a bargain. No duties in the EU either. Now let's see...

First of all, I must say that a real cork sure makes a bottle look classier, which is the case with the Elijah Craig. A screwtop like on the other two in my order look kind of cheap, but the insides don't taste cheap ;) The Elijah Craig bottle simply looks great.

I got the idea of ordering this particular whiskey from, yes you guessed it, Jim Murray's Whiskey Bible 2005! I wanted something special, and I thought a score of 96 would do nicely. I took a chance that my taste might coincide with that of mr. Murray. Luckily it did. I might lack the experience to fully enjoy this whiskey, but I sure enjoyed it a lot (at least the half a shot I tasted ;)).

My review will be a bit thin, I can't do better right now :whistling: I poured about half a shot, not adding any water or ice (I rarely do). When nosing it, I could tell it's definately something different from what I'm used to. A deep, soft, sweet toffee is what I thought of. Very nice. Tasting it tells me the same: this is top-notch whiskey. I can't really even tell what I tasted, but I liked it. Somehow the only word I can think of is a "deep" taste, complex perhaps? It's very pleasant, but I can't even begin to point out any specific flavors. Having been aged 12 years isn't very much as far as I know, so somehow it seems to have gotten very far with _only_ 12 years of age. All in all, excellent stuff, and I guess for this price (payed about 31 USD for 0,7 litres) it's nearly unbeatable.

I re-read AVB's review on the 18yo Elijah Craig. You nicely crammed an informative review in a small space :thumbs: I could have read a lot more though ;)

And the other two: The Old Overholt was my first rye whiskey ever, so that's naturally interesting for me. The Jim Beam Black is definately better than the regular white label. Wish I could get this in Finland, could be a regular.

[snapback]192124[/snapback]​
$h!t, you are better at English than most of the Americans on this board. LOL

Nice review but don't try to compare the 12 and 18 year olds as they are really different bourbons. The 18 is not just an older version of the 12. Bourbon is not like scotch were age makes a more noticable change because the barrels used are always new and not previously filled.

Elijah Craig 12 year is one of my everyday bourbons. I actually prefer it to the 18 year old. Jim Murray's Whiskey Bible scored it a 96 out of a possible 100 points. Only one point below the bourbon of the year, George T. Stagg.

Great review! :thumbs:

emodx said:
Lemon said:

[snapback]192124[/snapback]​
$h!t, you are better at English than most of the Americans on this board. LOL
[snapback]192136[/snapback]​

Maybe I was up all night with a dictionary only to impress CP members, who knows? :whistling: :sign:

AVB said:
Nice review but don't try to compare the 12 and 18 year olds as they are really different bourbons. The 18 is not just an older version of the 12. Bourbon is not like scotch were age makes a more noticable change because the barrels used are always new and not previously filled.
[snapback]192168[/snapback]​

Interesting. But would you say that the 12yo is nice for its age? I don't consider 12yo that old, but is it when it comes to bourbons? I didn't know they use new barrels. Now I do :thumbs:

Back