• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

EliteXC on CBS tonight

yardgnome02

This is a huge step for the sport, I wish they were putting out a better card but, but this card has the potential to be very exciting. My biggest worry about this card is the womens fight, I'm just not sure how the public will react to women's fighting.

* Kevin "Kimbo Slice" Ferguson (235.5) vs. James Thompson (257)
This fight should end quickly with a highlight reel KO for Kimbo. As disrespectful as I think it is to the true fighters to have Kimbo headline this card, he has the "fame" needed to bring in the viewers.

* EliteXC champ Robbie Lawler (184.5) vs. Scott Smith (184.5)
This is the true main event, should be a stand-up war. I have Lawler slowly dis-mantling smith in the early rounds and finally wearing him down early in the 4th for a TKO victory via GnP.

* Gina Carano(Crush from American Gladiators) (144.5) * vs. Kaitlin Young (140.5)
As much as I like Gina, I've had it with her dis-respect to the sport(This is her 3rd fight that she failed to make weight). If young can keep this standing she should get a KO mid 2nd round. If Gina take her to the ground and uses her weight to hold young down I see here winning by GnP.

* Jon Murphy (260.5) vs. Brett Rogers (263.5)
Should be a stand up fight, I have Rogers by TKO in the first

* Phil Baroni (185) vs. Joey Villasenor (184.5)
This is the only fight I think will go the distance. I have Villasenor by Majority decision. It should be a great fight to start the night.

The chicks have been the best fight so far. I missed part of the Lawler fight because I was re-watching the Chuck Liddell vs Wanderli Silva match on UFC unleashed.

* Kevin "Kimbo Slice" Ferguson (235.5) vs. James Thompson (257)
Wow, Thompson really brought it tonight. Kimbo showed that he needs to work on his ground game. I still can't believe the stoppage, way to early.

* EliteXC champ Robbie Lawler (184.5) vs. Scott Smith (184.5)
A great fight, back and forth stand up war. The doctors call to stop it was horrible Smith should have gotten his full 5 min before any decision was made. I can't wait for the re-match.

* Gina Carano (144.5) * vs. Kaitlin Young (140.5)
A good fight but I think Gina had a huge advantage with the extra weight, I would guess she had 10+ lbs on her by the time the fight started.

* Jon Murphy (260.5) vs. Brett Rogers (263.5)
* Phil Baroni (185) vs. Joey Villasenor (184.5)
Its always fun to see a quick KO.

Overall the show wasn't to bad for a Mainstream introduction to MMA, I wish they would have gotten to the fights quicker but over all not bad. I think the ref's were told to stop the fights a little quicker than they normally would have to prevent fighters from taking major punishment on national TV. But, I think tomorrow nights WEC show will be much better.

I would like to here what people that don't normally watch MMA thought about the show.

I normally don't watch MMA unless its a big event. I thought like you said it got drawn out between fights, and I think if the people running had any say those 2 fights would not have been stopped. Defiantly disappointed with the calls. Was pulling for Kimbo because of his internet fame and I thought he was in shape. I don't know if he could have finished Thompson off though. If I remember right, there were 2 quick KO's, an out of shape woman winning and 2 questionable doc/ref calls. Don't think this was what they were looking for.

Quite frankly I was surprised they let Thompson fight with that "cauliflower ear" as bad as it was. I mean that thing was a full on hematoma! Its understandable that some fighters get this condition on their ear, as they get repeadedly punched, kicked and mat burned all the time. But I have never seen it that bad before! What did the announcer call it, "an alien life form". You know, if I was Kimbo, I would have been trying to pop that thing also...

mac

All the whole the it wasn't terrible in IMO. However, Frank Shamrock was way out of his element. It couldn't have been more obivious that he was reading from a teleprompter.

As far as the main event goes (the only one have gotten to watch so far), Kimbo look horrible. That was far and away one of the worst fights I have every seen. Thompson was a joke, how many times did he just put his head down and fall at Kimbo. Those take downs were awful, but it was even more painful when Thompson got Kimbo in a crucific 2-3 times. Once he basically let Kimbo up, then when he had him pinned against the cage he wasn't even trying to hurt him. Sure they were both gased, but he didn't even make a token effort.

As far as Kimbo goes, they guy is physically impressive and his strikes weren't that bad a first, but he was gased by the end of the first. Thompson with his weak ground game, totally dominated him. Kimbo would lose to any decent heavy weight and at 235 lbs would probably lose to good light heavyweights.

Kimbo has the potential to be a good fighter but he is not even close yet. With all the hype surronding him, given CBS made it into the Kimbo Slice Show, it was a major let down. The best part of the fight was the replay When KImbo hit Thompson with the upper cut and his "pig ear" was shaking like Jello, he then followed that with a left hook that made Thompson face look like a wave machine. However, he didn't follow it up. Where was the street fighter with a killer instinct Kimbo was billed to be. Let's be honest, he beat a washed up Tank Abbot, who in his prime was the most fericious person I have ever seen. Thompson on the other hand beat a washed up Dan "the Beast" Severen.

Niether of these guys deserved the top billing, as neither of them are actually good fighters. CBS attempt to make the whole thing a artificial spectical, they even went as far as mentioning the Forrest Griffin v. Stephen Bonner, and that one of the matches would be Elite's moment.

Well thats just my 2 cents, I am happy to have MMA on broadcast, but lets get better fights.

P.S. Do you think the FCC will being fining for the cant of B*llSh*T?

First off, I think it was disrespectful to the other fighters to have an unproven newbie, and a glass jawed out of shape brit in the main event! I was also shocked to see Kimbo get winded so quick. He obviously isn't taking this thing seriously. As far as the TKO, that was THE worst stoppage I have ever seen and I have seen some bad ones! Bottom line is that Kimbo really exposed his weaknesses saturday night. Those weaknesses being, no take down defense. No defense for leg kicks. Any heavy weight that can punck AND kick can knock him out. Like he said, he has a lot of work to do.

It was nice to see some MMA on network tv, but I thought it was horrible. The way it was set up, the amount of time in between fights, the dancers, the announcers, the whole thing kind of left a bad taste in my mouth.

People might be surprised to learn that Kimbo is very soft spoken and modest. He's said many times that he's still a small fish in MMA and has a lot to learn. Bas agrees. EliteXC and Gary Shaw are the ones adverstising him as the next big thing and headlining cards with him. Its not Kimbo's fault.

But really, is it any different than what the UFC is doing with Brock Lesnar?

Here's Bas' comments on the fight. A pretty good read:
http://basrutten.tv/newskimbo.htm

I don't think that anyone is saying that Kimbo is nessicarily whoring himself, but lets aknowledge the fact that he is being whored. As far a Brock is conserned at least he fought a legit fighter.

Here are some more observations after watching the whole farce.

1. Blood on the mat before the first fight, wish they would have showed some off the undercards to fill in time slot.

2. The guy who won the first fight beat Thompson who fought Kimbo in the main event.

3. Kimbo was referred to as number 2 heavy weight in Elite

4. Curiously when the women were on the ground they were not stood up nearly as quick as they did for Kimbo

Look I am not Kimbo bashing, but they man hasn't fought anyone good enough to assert any sort of claim to be a good fighter. Sure he is a decent speaker outside of the ring, but lets not forget that this a man who was fighting people in bare knuckle brawls not that long ago. To say that he is a family man is some what disingenious.

A comment on the Kimbo Slice fight. I follow MMA pretty closely (kinda easy to do in Vegas). The Brit had Kimbo in a bad way with repeated elbow strikes to the head. In any other promotion the fight would have been stopped in the Brit's favour. Elite is so hard up for STARS Kimbo had to win that fight. It should have been stopped.

And yes...Uriah Faber is the man!!!

I watched the event and was pretty disappointed. JT should have won that fight with kimbo when he was beating on him for like a minute there. I've seen fights stopped for less - for example, the stoppage in Kimbo's favor. It just really makes you think the fight was set up in Kimbo's favor because he's the big star of this promotion.

Agreed. If Thompson had a little more on those elbows the fight would have stopped then and there. The rules state that if a fighter cannot intelligently defend himself, the ref can stop the fight. That same position is how Matt Hughes beat BJ Penn.

That fight reminded me a lot of the old Bob Sapp fights in pride. It just seemed like the ref was a little bit biased there.

You could almost say the same thing for the Lawler / Smith fight.

kimbo wasnt losing that fight no matter what. Elite lost $25 million last year and has put all their eggs in the kimbo basket. ELite will be lucky to be around in a year from now. They will have to find another gimmick because kimbo will get beat down by anyone halfway decent. The WEC is leaps and bounds ahead of Elite in the "minor" leagues.

I like the Bob Sapp reference..there is alot of similarities between the two of them as far as in the ring work. Except of course Bob Sapp could throw a kick

Four things that were strange to me;

1- Of course, the premature stoppage

2-Thompson's sorry attempt at elbows when he was on top. I've been in plenty of fights to know that it takes almost NO effort to throw a devastating elbow from the top postition. You don't need wind, you just drop your weight on the person leading with your elbow.

3-Missed submission attempt by Thompson. Why, oh why didn't Thompson put an americana (thats what my gym calls it), or arm lock on Kimbo's arm when he CLEARLY had it for like 20 or 30 seconds. Kimbos arm was bent, Thompson was positioned across his body and even grabbed the wrist but hesitated!!!

I'm forgetting something