• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Engagement Rules

Lopaka

That flyer guy!
This isn't a Cigar topic, however since we have many current and former service members, I thought some of you would enjoy this.

Engagement Rules​

The various armed forces have very specific mission capabilities and they adjust their rules of engagement accordingly. Below is a short list of the battle tactics and rules of engagement for the separate services.

US Marine Corps Rules for Gunfights
1. Be courteous to everyone, friendly to no one.
2. Decide to be aggressive ENOUGH, quickly ENOUGH.
3. Have a plan.
4. Have a back-up plan, because the first one probably won’t work.
5. Be polite. Be professional. But have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
6. Do not attend a gunfight with a handgun whose caliber does not start with a "4".
7. Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive.
8. Move away from you attacker. Distance is your friend. (Lateral & Diagonal movement is preferred.)
9. Use cover or concealment as much as possible.
10. Flank you adversary when possible. Protect yours.
11. Always cheat; always win; The only unfair fight is the one you lose.
12. In ten years, nobody will remember the caliber, stance, or tactics. They will remember who lived.
13. If you are not shooting, you should be communicating and reloading.
14. Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they would have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.
15. And above all...don't drop your guard.

US Navy Rules For Gunfights
1. Go to Sea
2. Drink Coffee
3. Watch HBO on AFTN satellite.
4. Send the Marines.

US Army Rules For Gunfights
1. Select a new beret to wear
2. Sew combat patch on right shoulder
3. Reconsider the color of beret you decide to wear.
4. Send the Marines.

US Air Force Rules For Gunfights
1. Have a cocktail
2. Adjust temperature on air-conditioner
3. Determine "what is a gunfight?" consult AFM-30 something
4. Request more funding from Congress with a "killer" Power Point presentation
5. Receive funding, set up new command and assemble assets
6. Declare the assets "strategic" and never deploy them operationally
7. Send the Marines

The person who wrote that is an a$$hole. The Army guys coming back in boxes from Iraq weren't there to select a new beret to wear. The AF guys who spent years in Hanoi POW camps weren't there for the cocktails.

I have no respect for anyone who thinks that post is funny. :angry2:

Castaway said:
The person who wrote that is an a$$hole. The Army guys coming back in boxes from Iraq weren't there to select a new beret to wear. The AF guys who spent years in Hanoi POW camps weren't there for the cocktails.

[snapback]212034[/snapback]​

Being that according to his profile he is active AF, I think he has earned the right to use this type of humor. I certainly don't find it offensive, and I would bet that all of the services have their own versions of this joke.

I sincerely doubt that his intentions were to offend or belittle any of the other services.

Kudo's to all of our armed services! Godspeed!

John V.

Castaway said:

[snapback]212034[/snapback]​

Castaway,

Sorry you did not find this funny. This is only a joke and has been one for quite some time. Im sorry if you feel that way and I myself feel a loss in my heart everytime a brother at arms dies for a cause all of us enjoy everyday (Freedom).

I served my country, I fought for freedom, I have risked my neck for who? Everyone in America, including those here illegally... It's becuase of that I have the right to think this is funny. I do not relate this to all those who gave their lives for our country and never have. Every branch of the armed forces has always in someway shape or form poked fun at the other branches. I did it while I was in, and even now I still do. I work with two Navy Vet's, 1 Army, & 1 Air Force, and everyday we say something to get the other rilled up!

Once again whether I loose your respect or not I thought this post was funny and I relate it in no way to those who lost their lives or suffered due to WAR.

Thanks,

Brad

Just as a side note which branch did you serve with so I know not to get you rilled up.

It's Unites States Marine Corps with an "s" you airdale.

Lopaka said:
US Marine Corp Rules for Gunfights

Well, if you didn't respect me before I guess my finding this funny won't change anything then. Semper Fi.

Castaway said:

I have no respect for anyone who thinks that post is funny. angry.gif

AVB said:
It's Unites States Marine Corps with an "s" you airdale.

Lopaka said:
US Marine Corp Rules for Gunfights

Well, if you didn't respect me before I guess my finding this funny won't change anything then. Semper Fi.

Castaway said:

I have no respect for anyone who thinks that post is funny. angry.gif
[snapback]212049[/snapback]​

AVB,

Good catch. I did not see the S missing...

The first post is obviously tongue-in-cheek.

Even within the other armed forces there is intense rivalry, lots of joking, and of course immense respect for the Marines.

Anyone who puts his or her life on the line for our contry is a hero to me, and the fact that they are the butt of the occasional joke doesn't change that.

Trust me one the $h1t hits the fan EVERYONE is on the same side, and there are plenty of Marines who've had their a$$es saved by Army infantrymen, Sailors who owe their lives to AF pilots, etc.

We're all one.

Lumberg said:
The first post is obviously tongue-in-cheek.

Even within the other armed forces there is intense rivalry, lots of joking, and of course immense respect for the Marines.

Anyone who puts his or her life on the line for our contry is a hero to me, and the fact that they are the butt of the occasional joke doesn't change that.

Trust me one the $h1t hits the fan EVERYONE is on the same side, and there are plenty of Marines who've had their a$$es saved by Army infantrymen, Sailors who owe their lives to AF pilots, etc.

We're all one.
[snapback]212052[/snapback]​

Lumberg,

You said it all. When I was in I did have respect for the other branches. Yes the Air Force along with the Army and Marine pilots were needed immensly for air support. The Navy has always and will always be the ammunition from the sea for long range support along with carrying our asses to and fro! Now for the elite of the Elite there is no question I would shake every Ranger, Green Beret, Navy Seal, Force Recon, & Para-trooper's hand and thank them personally. We are as you said one team. Now lets play some nice clean ribbing!!! :)

Oh and definately lets not forget the Rangers.

All branches have their pros and cons. All have their die-hard, battle ready, rambo-type units and their snivelling, back-office, heaven-help-us-if-they-have-to-fight units. The service differences and inter-service jokes are meant to be that... jokes. If it were realistic, it'd be the Corps' Rules for a Gunfight compared to Naval Cruise Missile Doctrine, Army Armored Tactics and Air Force Fighter and CAS support.

But it's still a joke and I (also ADAF) was not offended nor felt any serviceman's sacrifice was belittled.

It was missing something though:

SOCOM's Rules of Engagement:
1. Do it in the dark - never let'em see you comin'.
2. Do it from afar - that's why we have Snipers
3. Clandestine Infiltration - In and out before they know it.
4. Don't launch without the Gunships.
5. Explosives - things that make 'em go Boom.
6. Plan, plan, plan... rehearse, rehearse, rehearse
7. Deny, deny, deny... counter-accuse, counter-accuse, counter-accuse

-----

Old but still good:

Murphy's war laws

Friendly fire - isn't.
Recoilless rifles - aren't.
Suppressive fires - won't.
You are not Superman; Marines and fighter pilots take note.
A sucking chest wound is Nature's way of telling you to slow down.
If it's stupid but it works, it isn't stupid.
Try to look unimportant; the enemy may be low on ammo and not want to waste a bullet on you.
If at first you don't succeed, call in an air strike.
If you are forward of your position, your artillery will fall short.
Never share a foxhole with anyone braver than yourself.
Never go to bed with anyone crazier than yourself.
Never forget that your weapon was made by the lowest bidder.
If your attack is going really well, it's an ambush.
The enemy diversion you're ignoring is their main attack.
The enemy invariably attacks on two occasions:
when they're ready.
when you're not.
No OPLAN ever survives initial contact.
There is no such thing as a perfect plan.
Five second fuses always burn three seconds.
There is no such thing as an atheist in a foxhole.
A retreating enemy is probably just falling back and regrouping.
The Ol' Ranger's addendum:
Or else they're trying to suck you into a serious ambush!
The important things are always simple; the simple are always hard.
The easy way is always mined.
Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at.
Don't look conspicuous; it draws fire. For this reason, it is not at all uncommon for aircraft carriers to be known as bomb magnets.
Never draw fire; it irritates everyone around you.
If you are short of everything but the enemy, you are in the combat zone.
When you have secured the area, make sure the enemy knows it too.
Incoming fire has the right of way.
No combat ready unit has ever passed inspection.
No inspection ready unit has ever passed combat.
If the enemy is within range, so are you.
The only thing more accurate than incoming enemy fire is incoming friendly fire.
Things which must be shipped together as a set, aren't.
Things that must work together, can't be carried to the field that way.
Radios will fail as soon as you need fire support.
Radar tends to fail at night and in bad weather, and especially during both.)
Anything you do can get you killed, including nothing.
Make it too tough for the enemy to get in, and you won't be able to get out.
Tracers work both ways.
If you take more than your fair share of objectives, you will get more than your fair share of objectives to take.
When both sides are convinced they're about to lose, they're both right.
Professional soldiers are predictable; the world is full of dangerous amateurs.
Military Intelligence is a contradiction.
Fortify your front; you'll get your rear shot up.
Weather ain't neutral.
If you can't remember, the Claymore is pointed toward you.

Well I didn't mean to upset anyone. Yes, I'm ADAF and all the services have jokes that rub each other. That's the point! If you have been in the last 6 years, you would have seen the infamous PT jokes for the different services and making fun of our bike test.

If this rubbing offends you...sorry. However, being an NCO through and through...I know I can't please everyone.

P.S. I love Murpheys War Laws

Lopaka said:
Well I didn't mean to upset anyone. Yes, I'm ADAF and all the services have jokes that rub each other. That's the point! If you have been in the last 6 years, you would have seen the infamous PT jokes for the different services and making fun of our bike test.

If this rubbing offends you...sorry. However, being an NCO through and through...I know I can't please everyone.

P.S. I love Murpheys War Laws
[snapback]212060[/snapback]​

Yeah what is up with the Bike test. I cant believe I was forced twice a year to run 3 miles, do sit-ups, and Pull-ups while you where allowed to sit on a stationary bike and pedal for a few minutes :) :sign: :sign:

Just kidding...

ROFL...yeah I didn't like the bike test. People who worked out and kept a fitness program of some sort failed, while those that smoke and did nothing passed all the time.

We've moved on and now have the Fit to Fight program. However, we are still nothing as close to being physically fit as the Army and Marines. But we are moving that direction, we have manditory fitness with our squadrons once a week and I wouldn't be suprised if we see that change to 3 times a week.

Lopaka said:
we have manditory fitness with our squadrons once a week and I wouldn't be suprised if we see that change to 3 times a week.
[snapback]212074[/snapback]​

Once... We have 3 day a week here in Kadena and 5 days a week for those below 75.

I just don't like the point skew on the new program. I'm not a world class athelete, but I can run my 1.5 in under 12 every time (under 11 on a good day when it isn't summer on a tropical island - 5k hovers at about 24 right now...) and max the pushups (60 - not hard). I even do ok on the crunches, a solid 7+ points but I fail simply because I have a 40 inch waist (which I'm not proud of, but I'm working on it - damn injuries). Compatriots who happen to be "dangerously" thin couldn't outrun a turtle, pull their own weight but pass.

As for cycle-ergometry... it wasn't as bad as most people thought. The biggest problem was the general lack of understanding by both members adn testers. Simple things like breathe control and seat height made such a huge difference that if one thing was wrong then the test was bad. All it really measured, in essence, was heart rate versus physical exertion.

Oh well....

Treamayne said:
Compatriots who happen to be "dangerously" thin couldn't outrun a turtle, pull their own weight but pass.

:laugh: :laugh: OMG, I knew a few in my sqadron like that. :laugh:

No offense to anyone but I always hated to see those people in the back of the pick-up with that sad look on their face because they failed the running portion. Those were usually the same people who failed the sit-ups and pull-ups too.

Should be a lesson for them...."there is this great invention called a Gym, has all these tools that can help you get in shape."

Rivalry between the branches of the service is as old as warriors. There is however one truth that has prevailed since the first warrior rose up to fight.

111.10 - The supreme being otherwise known as the "GRUNT".

Dismissed.

;)

Friggin' jugheads... :laugh:

Airborne all the way! Hoo-ah!