• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Enjoying My Pipe More

Turbolag

Noob
So I'm a newb on the pipes, and still on cigars.

Cigars are still my favorite, but the pipe process is starting to make more sense now.

When I first tried to smoke a bowl, I didn't pack the tobacco tight enough. I realize this now. I read not to pack too tightly and was concerned of over packing. Turns out it wasn't enough.

After getting tips from members on here and reading more, it's getting a little easier.

I'm learning about letting the tobacco dry out longer and how important it is. It makes a difference when it dries compared to when it's not ready.

My pipe pallet isn't very refined so many of the tobaccos taste the same.

I've noticed with cigars I'm able to pick out flavor hints a little better than when I started.

I also want to give a HUGE thank you to Nismo270r. He sent me a huge sampler of pipe tobacco, and answered a ton of my newbie questions in specific detail.

Thanks man, I was overwhelmed with hospitality.

I'm really glad to be part of this forum and community.

Turbolag said:
So I'm a newb on the pipes, and still on cigars.

Cigars are still my favorite, but the pipe process is starting to make more sense now.

When I first tried to smoke a bowl, I didn't pack the tobacco tight enough. I realize this now. I read not to pack too tightly and was concerned of over packing. Turns out it wasn't enough.

After getting tips from members on here and reading more, it's getting a little easier.

I'm learning about letting the tobacco dry out longer and how important it is. It makes a difference when it dries compared to when it's not ready.

My pipe pallet isn't very refined so many of the tobaccos taste the same.

I've noticed with cigars I'm able to pick out flavor hints a little better than when I started.

I also want to give a HUGE thank you to Nismo270r. He sent me a huge sampler of pipe tobacco, and answered a ton of my newbie questions in specific detail.

Thanks man, I was overwhelmed with hospitality.

I'm really glad to be part of this forum and community.

A lot of the ability to pick out nuances in the pipe tobacco comes with learning how to smoke it correctly.  This definitely takes a bit of time.  I'm still working on it myself but I'm already getting a better at it than when I started.  Many times if you don't pack right and you find yourself having to relight and relight you'll either get frustrated and smoke it hot in a desperate attempt to keep it lit, or you'll just get frustrated and give up.  Both of these will definitely affect your ability to pick up flavors.

Best thing to do is keep at it, find what works for you, develop your own technique based on the loads of info that is on here and other sites (there are other sites??  :sign: ) and you'll be just fine!

Good luck!  :thumbs:

I'm looking forward to the Spring as I plan to break out my pipe as well.  I haven't really given it a go in about 6 years, so I'm sure I'll be way out of practice, but I know it'll come around.

I love a nice bowl in the morning.

I purchased my small Nanna Ivarsson no. 4 apple bowl pipe around 8 months ago, it is the only one I currently own. I love this small pipe, decided to go with that size because it's only about a 30-45 minute smoke and I figured this would be nice for a beginner and also for the winter time. I mostly smoke it when I don't have time to enjoy a cigar or when I'm at the cigar lounge smoking with my friends, I usually enjoy Robusto sizes so I end up finishing up my cigars before my friends are done and then pull out my pipe.

As you mentioned above, at first, it was a learning curve on how to pack the pipe well and learning all of the different tricks. I did a lot of reading and watched a bunch of videos on this subject. I'm getting better at picking up the flavors of the tobacco as well and seems to be enjoying it more and more often. Thanks for sharing your experience.

I actually really enjoy developing my palette, and is one of the big reasons why I smoke.  I like the fact that I can smoke the same blend and notice a change over time, especially in the beginning.  Now I go for an extended period of time of only smoking either cigars or pipes and then switch to the other for an extended period of time.  I find that when I come back to either cigars or pipes after awhile, I have to build that palette back up and it brings back that "discovery" factor a little that I enjoy so much.  

What helped me develop my packing technique when I first started was pack loose and use my tamp to properly pack the tobacco while I was smoking it so I could use the draw as an indicator while I'm tamping/packing.

Sorry I've been scarce on CP for awhile! I'm glad I was able to help you out brother!

It definitely all comes with time and practice, just like with cigars. The thing I struggled with the most when starting with the pipe was forcing myself to slow down. To me, it seems cigars are a bit more forgiving if you puff a little quickly. Pipes seem to heat up and can make the rest of the bowl bitter if you get off to a speedy start. I think it's a constant learning experience, which is part of the fun! :)

Good for you! Pipe smoking has been very rewarding for me. The differences from cigar smoking keeps it interesting and fun.  You are fortunate to have Chris (Nismo) help you out. He has always been a super BOTL, and i am glad to know him. Cheers!