• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Espresso over ice question

Gonz

Ultra Runner
Reaction score
So call me what you want (sissy, wuss, whatever) but I drink Iced Latte's every day. For the last six or seven years at least. Simple four shots over ice with milk.

The other day while traveling I stopped at some little mom and pop coffee stand and got one, and the Mom was training the daughter. She scolded her daughter for attempting to put the freshly pulled espresso shots directly over the ice, saying that will make it bitter.

Now I've never heard such a thing, and in fact every morning I do that exact thing. Am I failing here? Is that lady right and I learned something new?

Thanks.

Sounds like BS to me.

I worked as a barista for a number of years (a long time ago) and don't recall anything like that.

You know what they say, ignorance is bliss! :sign:

I think in this case it's an old wives tale....................you're still a sissy! :p

You're drinking hot coffee over ice...with milk.

linky
Now I got to try that out. I was wondering is the coffee to water ratio the same.

edit: found my answer
1/3 cup ground coffee (medium-coarse grind is best)
Milk (optional).

1. In a jar, stir together coffee and 1 1/2 cups water. Cover and let rest at room temperature overnight or 12 hours.

2. Strain twice through a coffee filter, a fine-mesh sieve or a sieve lined with cheesecloth. In a tall glass filled with ice, mix equal parts coffee concentrate and water, or to taste. If desired, add milk.

Yield: Two drinks.

nothing wrong with that, actually when I was a child growing up in Italy I remember seeing tons of people drinking espresso over Ice. Thats how I drink mine now, I like it hot too, but over ice is nice as well. If it makes it more bitter awesome I like it strong. Don't let someone tell you how to drink your coffee. If they try tell them to shut up and let you drink your coffee how you want.

Hi

I love my caffe moccha so I can't call you a sissy :blush: In Asia I always have ice-coffe but I prefer the type where they crush the ice. They have one great version in KL at a place called San Fransisco coffe...if you ever go there try the Moccha extreme with whipped creme on top.

Back to your question: when I went to Rome I went to a coffee shop and one of the things they served was crushed ice with espresso and whipped creme on top. Is was excellent so I'm not sure I'm buying the bitter comment.

Instead of using ice, I leave my shots in the freezer for 20 or 30 minutes and then add milk and a little Hersheys chocolate or caramel syrup. Sorta like those bottled frappicinos.

Instead of using ice, I leave my shots in the freezer for 20 or 30 minutes and then add milk and a little Hersheys chocolate or caramel syrup. Sorta like those bottled frappicinos.

You mean I'm supposed to have the patience to wait 20-30 minutes after I wake up to get my morning coffee fix? :(

You could try making the ice cubes out of Espresso also. Freeze them the night before, and it wouldn't be quite so watered down after you added the hot Espresso to the glass in the morning.

l was in italy last year and my wifes family had their morning coffee cold every day. They make a pot of expresso at night and put it in a shaker with some sugar then freeze it, now their freezers are not like ours, they dont freeze as well or as fast so the next morning the expresso is like a slush. its amazing, me and the wife do it here now.

You're drinking hot coffee over ice...with milk.

linky
Now I got to try that out. I was wondering is the coffee to water ratio the same.

edit: found my answer
1/3 cup ground coffee (medium-coarse grind is best)
Milk (optional).

1. In a jar, stir together coffee and 1 1/2 cups water. Cover and let rest at room temperature overnight or 12 hours.

2. Strain twice through a coffee filter, a fine-mesh sieve or a sieve lined with cheesecloth. In a tall glass filled with ice, mix equal parts coffee concentrate and water, or to taste. If desired, add milk.

Yield: Two drinks.

After experimenting with this recipe for a while I came up with a fantastic drink IMO

Using the cold brew coffee substitute seltzer for the water in step two also add 1-2 oz of simple syrup depending on sweet tooth

The penny pincher's Manhattan Special