• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Estate Pipe Sale

Rebel Herfer

Adiskide honekin, orduak labur!
This is my first post in the Pipe section, but certainly not my first here on CP. :D
I thought I'd pass this on to my fellow BOTLs that love pipes. I will be happy to be at the sale on the first day at 2pm and pick up any pipes & tobacco for you. Mike, one of the owners of Stafford & Jones Tobacconist here in North Dallas, has a fairly extensive collection that he must part with due to health reasons. Mike is a good guy and runs a nice shop. If you see 1 or 6 you want, PM me the image number, item description, price, whether you are sending money order, check (if I know you) and cell number (in case that particular pipe is not available I can get your 2nd choice). I'm NOT charging a fee for this; just cost of item & shipping (& tax IF they are charging it). Since there is no list of tobaccos maybe PM your cell & I'll call you that day. First come first PM and I can't guarntee that I'll be the one to get that pipe or tobacco as I'm not running the sale, just facilitating the opportunity. Of course you will receive your money back promptly should I not get the pipe.

SEE the Pipes HERE

Additionally here is the original e-mail I received:
As you may know, my partner Mike Stafford, a long-time pipe man, has come down with an allergic pneumonia that has made it necessary for him to give up his pipes and tobacco.

Starting on March 2, his pipes and tobacco will be on sale at the shop.
The sale will be held March 2-7 starting at 2 p.m. each day and going to 7 p.m. Tyler Weaver and Grizzly Murphy will handle the sale. They have accepted responsibility for Mike’s pipes and tobacco. Consequently, you should contact them at the shop while they are here with any questions. I would like to help you personally, but I will have access to neither the pipes nor the information on them.
Pipes will only be sold on a first come, first served basis. You can preview the pipes here:

http://flickr.com/photos/8413116@N08/sets/72157613849442905/detail/
The prices are firm.

Tobaccos for sale include many well-aged and quite a few discontinued blends. They are far too numerous to list, but include everything from G.L. Pease to European blends that I'm sure you'd be pleased to have.

Tobaccos are also on a first come, first served basis. Griz and Tyler are taking reservations on neither pipes nor tobacco.

Cash is much preferred, with checks made out to Mike Stafford also accepted. There is a bank ATM in the shopping center with the shop. All items are to be sold as-is with no warranty.

This is a great opportunity to get your hands on a great collection and a great tobacco cellar!

Smoke in peace,
Steve
Stafford & Jones Tobacconist
1403 E Campbell Road, #102
Richardson, TX 75081
1-972-907-8282
www.tobacconist.us

Wow, what a generous offer!

I see a number of pipes I might be interested in, but I do have a question... do you know a lot about pipes? I ask because I'd have a real concern that maybe something subtle could be wrong with a pipe, you buy it, ship it, and it turns out to have a problem. It's clear from their post that sales are final, and there are a lot of weird little issues that I've seen with estate pipes.

Then again, if this is an active collection, from a guy who was involved with a shop, most of the likely problems are, well, unlikely.

There are some good deals (and some not so good IMHO). I do have to say that the main issue I have with the pictures is no scale, like a lighter or tin of tobacco, if a given pipe is average in size, the price might be great, but if it's small, like 5" or so, the price might not be nearly as good.

Jeff, don't be a wuss. Grab a couple of those pipes yourself and join us here!! :thumbs:

Jeff, don't be a wuss. Grab a couple of those pipes yourself and join us here!! :thumbs:

Might have to do just that. :D
I have a few from my Dad and I did like the Meerschaum ones. ;) But I need a new habit like a need another hole in my head!! ???

I will see if I can get some info on the scale/size of the pipes. Maybe Google the style/maker of the pipe? Any input greatly appreciated Pipe wizards..... :thumbs:

I will see if I can get some info on the scale/size of the pipes. Maybe Google the style/maker of the pipe? Any input greatly appreciated Pipe wizards..... :thumbs:

Most carvers and factories make a wide range of sizes and shapes. As an example, I have two Tim West pipes that are less than 5" long, and might hold 1.5 grams of tobacco. A guy I know is selling a Tim West pipe that's over 7" long and holds probably 3 times as much tobacco. From a photograph, you literally could not tell the difference in size... unless they had some sort of scale (like a ruler) or a known object (like a Zippo lighter) in them.

Kind of along the same lines, there are pipers that strongly prefer small pipes, and those who won't smoke anything less than a medium to large pipe... and those who like some sizes for some types of tobacco and other sizes for others.

Very generous offer, it is greatly appreciated. I simply cannot go and get another pipe for the time being. Thanks again though buddy.

It is a really cool offer, but I'll have to pass as well. I've been buying too many pipes lately. I'd be a lot more comfortable if an experienced pipe smoker was going to the sale, as well.

Hope everyone gets excellent buys!

Well Jeff, some things turned for the better for me. I will be attending the Blending seminar at S&J this coming Thursday. I am going to take a look at some of these then. As well I am looking forward to seeing the tobacco selection. Hope to see you there Thursday.
B