• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Estate Pipes?

One thing to keep in mind is the quality of the pipe to begin with. If you buy an estate pipe that was originally very expensive the chances that shitty tobacco was smoked it is less. I doubt that many Dunhill or Costello owners smoked cherry flavored tobacco. :laugh:
I wouldn't necessarily count on that. I've seen some very nice pipes, Dunhills included, full of all kinds of aromatics and Lakeland tobaccos. I've also seen some very run of the mill pipes, cobs included, full of the highest quality blends out there. There really is no way of knowing what was smoked in ANY pipe, unless you know the previous owner and can ask him.

The old guy that used to hang out in the barbershop I went to as a young man smoked Captain Black exclusively in his Dunhill Bruyere. :0

One thing to keep in mind is the quality of the pipe to begin with. If you buy an estate pipe that was originally very expensive the chances that shitty tobacco was smoked it is less. I doubt that many Dunhill or Costello owners smoked cherry flavored tobacco. :laugh:
I wouldn't necessarily count on that. I've seen some very nice pipes, Dunhills included, full of all kinds of aromatics and Lakeland tobaccos. I've also seen some very run of the mill pipes, cobs included, full of the highest quality blends out there. There really is no way of knowing what was smoked in ANY pipe, unless you know the previous owner and can ask him.

The old guy that used to hang out in the barbershop I went to as a young man smoked Captain Black exclusively in his Dunhill Bruyere. :0

I remember my Dad smoking that when I was a kid. But, I doubt he had a Dunhill. I've always wanted to try some just because he used to smoke it. I've only seen it on Ebay now. I was thinking about buying a pouch. But from your emoticon, I would gather that it sucks?

I was just speaking from my own experience. I probably have over 50 high end pipes and several more lesser brand pipes that were all previously smoked. I have restored most of them by now and do find that the high end ones are less "aromatic", at least in the ways of really bad stuff like cherry and rum & maple, etc. But, yes, I have found a couple of the high end ones that sure were nasty smelling. That can be fixed to, just more work.

I really enjoyed looking at your collection!! :thumbs: I have been totally into pipes this winter. You have a nice collection. :thumbs:

I remember my Dad smoking that when I was a kid. But, I doubt he had a Dunhill. I've always wanted to try some just because he used to smoke it. I've only seen it on Ebay now. I was thinking about buying a pouch. But from your emoticon, I would gather that it sucks?

I was just speaking from my own experience. I probably have over 50 high end pipes and several more lesser brand pipes that were all previously smoked. I have restored most of them by now and do find that the high end ones are less "aromatic", at least in the ways of really bad stuff like cherry and rum & maple, etc. But, yes, I have found a couple of the high end ones that sure were nasty smelling. That can be fixed to, just more work.

I really enjoyed looking at your collection!! :thumbs: I have been totally into pipes this winter. You have a nice collection. :thumbs:
Thanks! That's high praise in my book...

Captain Black is a regular ol' drugstore pouch blend. It's heavily cased in vanilla and PG and in my experience, it will goop up apipe with the best of them, burn the top layer of skin off your tongue quite readily, and make for a really unusually rough throat. It's not as bad as some, but at the time I knew that gentleman smoking it, it was $1.79/pouch and he was smoking it in a $450 pipe. :D Certainly not what one would expect to see going into such a fine pipe.

The assumption that higher end pipes have not been abused is generally spot on, but as with any assumption, one must be cautious. I've seen people abuse the most beautiful things in the world, not just pipes. It's still very advisable to be VERY cautious on eBay, no matter the brand of pipe. The sellers previously listed here are very trustworthy from what I"ve heard at more places than CP, so I would guess that one could not go wrong with a pipe from one of them.

:)