• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Explanation Q/A thread for my Member Directory

Bat_Chief

Bat_Chief Returns
Before I made the post regarding the members directory thread, I knew that you could do a search in the current members directory, but here is the problem: I'm a FNG and I get bombed by Jon Crane. Who the heck is that?? There is no CP name on the box so the directory does no good. Now I have to go through ALL of the posts in all directories to click on all of the different profiles to find Jon. That's the pain in the ass part.

Now, if you were bombed by Jerry Riddle (an actual member) how would you track him down? Sure, you can email a FOG or post something like "Duh, who's Jerry Riddle", but one thread allows you to look at all the current posters quicly.

I experienced this problem when I won a lottery and had no clue as to who sent me what because some used their real names and not their CP names. When the thread was removed, I had no where to go to find out who was in the lotto and PM them thank a thank you.

I also like to look at everyones Avatar to locate certain people for certain reasons and if everyone was on a single thread, this would be convenient.

Feel free do post your flames in this thread, I can handle it! The idea may not be one of my best, but it's all I've got, Captain! :)

aaaaaaaaaah

now it makes sense!

One thing is, sometimes bombers like to work mysteriously. Part of the fun of sendign and receiving bombs is the recipient figuring out who it came from!

Hey Lee-Bo I finally friggin got it!!!

OOOOOPPPSSS wrong forum sorry!!!!

Great idea actually their Chief!!!

Lumberg said:
aaaaaaaaaah

now it makes sense!

One thing is, sometimes bombers like to work mysteriously. Part of the fun of sendign and receiving bombs is the recipient figuring out who it came from!

Yeh, I kinda suck at trying to explain myself by typing, I do much better rambling on verbally. ???

Before I made the post regarding the members directory thread, I knew that you could do a search in the current members directory, but here is the problem: I'm a FNG and I get bombed by Jon Crane. Who the heck is that?? There is no CP name on the box so the directory does no good. Now I have to go through ALL of the posts in all directories to click on all of the different profiles to find Jon. That's the pain in the ass part.

Well...as you get to "know" people...you'll learn "real" names. Also...if you list members in the directory by "total posts" "Descending" you'll get pretty much all the active members in the first 2 pages of 50. A much quicker reference than what you're speaking of.

Now, if you were bombed by Jerry Riddle (an actual member) how would you track him down? Sure, you can email a FOG or post something like "Duh, who's Jerry Riddle", but one thread allows you to look at all the current posters quicly.

"All the current posters"??? A poster today can be gone tommorrow. Overtime that thread would be far from current or accurate. Also...I believe you mentioned something about atleast 200 posts in your other thread. Well again...as I said above...the CP directory will give you all those people in 2 pages. Your "Thread Directory" is already 2 pages and you haven't had half the actives respond yet.

I experienced this problem when I won a lottery and had no clue as to who sent me what because some used their real names and not their CP names. When the thread was removed, I had no where to go to find out who was in the lotto and PM them thank a thank you.

Threads aren't normally removed.

I also like to look at everyones Avatar to locate certain people for certain reasons and if everyone was on a single thread, this would be convenient.

Avatars change...do you really need a directory + avatar to locate someone?

Well...as you get to "know" people...you'll learn "real" names. Also...if you list members in the directory by "total posts" "Descending" you'll get pretty much all the active members in the first 2 pages of 50. A much quicker reference than what you're speaking of.

Understood, but it doesn't help anyone at all in the time that you don't know someone

"All the current posters"??? A poster today can be gone tommorrow. Overtime that thread would be far from current or accurate. Also...I believe you mentioned something about atleast 200 posts in your other thread. Well again...as I said above...the CP directory will give you all those people in 2 pages. Your "Thread Directory" is already 2 pages and you haven't had half the actives respond yet.

Yup, made that correction the next day and dropped it to 50. 200 was kinda dump considering what I wanted to accomplish. As far as being 2 pages for my thread, there are only 20-some posts. Two pages of single or double line listings lists 10 times that to weed through in the members directory.

Threads aren't normally removed.

That's good, although I do understand why that one was.

Avatars change...do you really need a directory + avatar to locate someone?

Well, it would be nice, is it possible? I don't mean any disrespect regarding the functionality of the website or the administrators, it was simply a harmless thread request that asked people to post if interested. After I learn everybody here and I've been around for actually more than a MONTH, I may not worry about it. It was just a perspective from from a FNG and the issues affecting me in the first month.

Now admittedly I do not understand the limitations of the software used for site development, but if you could develop a page that did a querry of maybe all of the members that have posted active in the last month andshowed the Avatar as well, now that would be something! :)

Hmmm, my personal recomendation......ignore this FNG and and maybe he'll be happy with still being allowed to be a member of the best board around! :p :p

Thanks for the response, Beast!

BC

Bat_Chief said:
After I learn everybody here and I've been around for actually more than a MONTH, I may not worry about it. It was just a perspective from from a FNG and the issues affecting me in the first month.
Well...I think you summed it up. ;)

TheBeast said:
Bat_Chief said:
After I learn everybody here and I've been around for actually more than a MONTH, I may not worry about it. It was just a perspective from from a FNG and the issues affecting me in the first month.
Well...I think you summed it up. ;)

That was a freebie, I figured you'd like it! :D