• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Family Secrets

Devil Doc

When Death smiles, Corpsmen smile back
There’s no such thing as Italian food. There are 7 distinct culinary regions in Italy, plus Italian American cuisine. Italian American cuisine is the bastardization of the food of Southern Italy. When my immigrant ancestors arrived in America, they found an abundance , but unfortunately, to their palates, it lacked the intensity of flavor that they had been use to, so they improvised. Italian restaurants in this country are of that ilk. There are, of course,exceptions.

My family comes from two different regions. My fathers side is from Lazio. This state includes Rome. So, I could be considered Roman. From my paternal Grandmother, I learned to cook meat. Poultry,especially capon,( castrated rooster) veal and lamb.

My mother is from Sicily, by way of Tunisia. There’s a French, N. African influence in her methods. From her I learned to cook fish, lots of fruit and produce, red sauces and couscous.

Rules of engagement:
1. We only open two cans in the Italian kitchen. San Marinzano tomatoes and anchovies. Everything else is fresh.

2. Use Extra Virgin Olive oil. I use Colivita. It’s consistent from year to year,reasonably priced and available nationally. If you’re trying to duplicate a dish from a certain region, then find an EVOO from that area.

3. Buy imported pasta from Italy. I use Barilla. If it’s good enough for the Italian Olympic team, it’s good enough for you. Follow their directions on the package. They cook more of it than anyone, so they know what their talking about.

4. Use imported cheeses. Every Italian kitchen has Romano and Parmesano Regiano cheese. Domestic substitutes will be disappointing. Romano is reasonably priced. The Parm will shock you at $15 or more a pound.

5. Use whole milk ricotta when called for. This is no place for low fat anything. This ain’t diet food. Fat, is what makes food taste good. And fer Christ’s sakes don’t substitute cottage cheese.

I’m sure there are things I’ve forgotten. Cooking is second nature to me. So let’s start with something simple, Marinara sauce.

Literally translated Marinara means sailor. In Naples, the wives of sailors would wait until they could see their husbands fishing vessels on the horizon, before starting this simple condiment for pasta. Hence the name.

You will need:
4qt. Non reactive sauce pan.. I use Le Creuset or All-Clad. There is no better cookware. It’s expensive, but everything else is inferior.
2 or three cloves of garlic sliced thin. Please, do not chop up the garlic. Give your guests the choice of whether they want to eat it or not.
2 28oz cans of San Marizano tomatoes. There is no substitute. Brand doesn’t matter.
EVOO
Salt and pepper to taste.
A chiffonade of fresh basil

Method:
You may prepare your tomatoes for cooking 3 different ways. Pour the contents of the cans into a suitable bowel and crush with your hands. Run them through a sieve. Process them in a food processor, gently.
You’ll get three very different results. You’ll have to decide which suits you. I prefer crush by hand. My wasp wife prefers the food processor. My mom, put them through a sieve. This makes a much thinner sauce, wich she prefered.

Cover the bottom of your sauce pan with EVOO. Fry garlic till golden brown. What ever you do, don’t burn the garlic. If you do,start over. Add the tomatoes, the oil should be hot enough to make the tomatoes sizzle when you first add them. Add salt and pepper to taste, simmer with the cover slightly off the pot for about an hour. Stir frequently, and that’s it. Prepare your pasta, put it in a warm bowl add enough of the sauce to coat. Grate some Parm all over and sprinkle the chiffonade of Basil on top. You may add some red pepper flakes. Don’t drown the pasta in sauce. The pasta is the thing.

I hope some of you try this. I'll be posting more complicated recipes in this thread in the coming weeks.

Bono appetito
Doc.

I have to take exception to this. I use Calphalon Professional/Commercial and I'll put that up against anything.

4qt. Non reactive sauce pan.. I use Le Creuset or All-Clad. There is no better cookware. It’s expensive, but everything else is inferior.

Doc.

I have to take exception to this. I use Calphalon Professional/Commercial and I'll put that up against anything.

Doc.

I have both Calphalon and All-Clad, and both are fantastic. I do prefer the Calphalon.

However, I also have a set of Lodge cast irons that have been around and well-seasoned for well over 50 years and it is damn hard to put anything up against those babies.

I had a bad experience with a set of Caliphon. The anodizing wore off. It's now plain old aluminum cook ware. Which is no longer non-reactive. I also own a set of Wagner cast iron. But I don't recommend cooking tomato sauce in them, unless you have an iron deficiency. ;)

Doc.

I don't have a single non-stick and/or anodized pan/skillet/etc item in my house. Personally can't stand it and learned/was taught early on to avoid it and work without it and have been the better for it.

Great Post Doc. I actually cooked up some sauce last night with some Barillia Penne.

E

edit to add request

Doc, if you have a good recipe for a Chicken Marsala or just a Marsala sauce I would be quite grateful! :thumbs:

Doc I was wondering if you had a recipe for Braciole. When I was a kid my grandmother used to make it and cook it in with our gravy (sauce). Never was able to get it from her but I'm dying to make it. I have tried some recipes off the internet but they just don't have it.
Chris

Calphalon is hard anodized. We do have one Calphalon non-stick the wife likes and I also have the trusty cast iron set including a pan or two from my Great-Grandmother one of which is dated 1903.

I don't have a single non-stick and/or anodized pan/skillet/etc item in my house. Personally can't stand it and learned/was taught early on to avoid it and work without it and have been the better for it.

Doc I was wondering if you had a recipe for Braciole. When I was a kid my grandmother used to make it and cook it in with our gravy (sauce). Never was able to get it from her but I'm dying to make it. I have tried some recipes off the internet but they just don't have it.
Chris
And they never will. No one cooks like your Nonna.

Doc.

If you have a Publix supermarket in your area, they usually carry "Cento" tomatoes, which are imported San Marzano Type.
They also carry Locatelli Brand Pecorino Romano as well as Parmiggiano Regianno.
I get my Parmiggiano Regiano from Sam's Club for about $11.00 a lb.

Calphalon is hard anodized. We do have one Calphalon non-stick the wife likes and I also have the trusty cast iron set including a pan or two from my Great-Grandmother one of which is dated 1903.

Not all of their line is. As far as I'm aware, THESE are non-anodized and I have a few pieces in this line.

Allright you two Jarheads, it's about the food, not the equipment. :laugh: My mom used Revereware. She did just fine. :p Boys and their toys. :rolleyes:

Doc.

Allright you two Jarheads, it's about the food, not the equipment. :laugh: My mom used Revereware. She did just fine. :p Boys and there toys. :rolleyes:

Doc.

Leave it to a Corpsman to diminish the importance of equipment. :sign:

2 Jarheads and a Chief arguing about cookware. The apocalypse is surely about to arrive. :p

well let me say ciao da un italiano ad un altro. My family is also Sicilian, from Agragenta, I actually live there for many years.

I want to remind everybody that what makes a great sauce is not simply the ingredients put into it, but love and family history behind it. Every Italian family thinks their sauce is the best, but truly there are some better than others. I just want to remind everyones that every families sauce is different, often with different ingredients, especially from region to region as said above. My family uses carrots and often celery in the sauce, its great. Just remember that when you are making sauce if you don't put love in it no matter what the ingredients it won't be the same.

arrivederci e fortuna migliore con la salsa

An Eye-talion, living in Texas. I feel your pain, brother.

Doc.

Pour the contents of the cans into a suitable bowel and crush with your hands

I prefer to use a mixing bowl, but hey, you have your techniques I guess. My Nana never did it that way tho, and her gravy was astounding!

~R