• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Favorite cutter

sok454

What is everyone's favorite type of cutter and brand of cutter?

I've a few....

4b8db9fac526512804623b203cf1f03f.jpg

I am using one I got free, a Drew Estates that has a backer on it, very convenient 

I try to keep it clean.

A Xikar double blade, a Palio double blade, and a Xikar punch.  I use whatever I'm in the mood for.

Either the V tabletop cutter or more frequently a Cuban Crafters SS thin cutter.

Both my Xikar Xi3 Macassar Ebony and my Burlwood Palío (Tom you bastid) are great.

I use my Xikar when at home and have a ash tray to cradle the cigar when not in hand, and the Palío I take on the go as it has a nice dip to hold the stick in place.

I use a brass knuckle cigar scissor that was a freebie from Room101.

I use whatever I find first.  I have a Xikar Xi2, a Colibri double blade, a Palio, a pair of Room 101 scissors, a "V" cutter and a few punches.

Most of the time a Xikar 11mm punch or a Xikar Xi8 double blade.

Cuban Crafters "perfect cutter"
Idiot proof and prevents snipping off too much of the head (ouch)

Like many others I have a Xikar and a Palio both double blades. One stays home and the other is in a small backpack I carry when out. Believe me I wouldn't touch Grateful1's cutters with your......hands!

I'm a big fan of Xikar Scissors for anything I don't punch. All my other cutters seem to gathering dust now.

Next question... how do you guys decide whether to use a punch/scissors/bore/cutter?

sok454 said:
Next question... how do you guys decide whether to use a punch/scissors/bore/cutter?

Depends on how pissed they get me. 

:D

Beli's can't be punched, that solves that one.  Robusto's punch nicely, but some benefit from having more of the end opened up.  Depends on the smoke, actually.

Been using the Xikar double blade cutter for some time now so it's made it to the top of my cigar tool box.  My 'fave' goes back and forth.  I'd say it's a wash between the Xikar and the Palio.  Some guys strongly prefer one or the other, I'm pretty much on the fence between those two.

Pro tip: About the time you think your cutter gets 'dull' clean it off with some alcohol.  Oils from the cigars will slowly coat the edge of the blades, and make them feel dull when you use them to cut.  A bit of alcohol works wonders; I have some alcohol wipes I bought from Costco for electronics use and they are the bomb for this application.

I've used this for about 10 years. I've cut thousands of cigars with it. 
16630.png

sok454 said:

Most of the time I will start with a punch and see how the draw is.  If the draw is good I leave it alone, if the draw is tight I will pull out a cutter.