• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

favorite remoulade ?

BigSteve

27th Armored Div honoring my Dad
Anyone have a favorite remoulade they use for crabcakes, etc. ? Looking for an easy recipe, maybe with a little kick. ? Feel free to share. Thanks.

Roasted red peppers, sour cream, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Blend it all smooth and enjoy.
Good luck
Tom

Remoulades are pretty straight forward in terms of ingredients, it's the combining of them that makes the difference. I've always found a blender to work better than a food processor...although my little 3 cup Kitchenaid mini food processor does a damn good job too and is easier to clean that the big boy. I'm not a fan of adding capers or pickles to mine, but the cajun boys usually add BOTH! I make a batch the night before I use it.

OK, this is from memory...lol

3-4 stalks for green onions...use all of it!
a handful of fresh parsley leaves, no stalks...too bitter!
2-3 cloves of garlic run through a garlic press
(optional capers and/or sweet pickles)

Put those ingredients in a blender or small food processor until thoroughly combined...it almost looks like pesto without the pine nuts.

Then add...

1 cup Mayo...gotta be Hellmanns!
a nice medium drizzle of virgin olive oil
the juice from one lemon (half if you aren't a lemon fan)
2-3 tablespoons of Dijon mustard
3-4 turns of the pepper mill
salt to taste

Once completely mixed, put it in a bowl and refrigerate overnight or at least 3-4 hours.

Now, if you want to kick it up...subtract a little mayo and add a little horseradish and/or Tabasco sauce and try substituting hot mustard for dijon. Experiment with it.

I like mine a little more lemony on white fishes, so I add the juice of a whole lemon rather than a half of one. It isn't really rocket science as I change mine up to suit my mood and what I'm drizzling it on. Sometimes I add in some dry mustard if it's a hearty fish dish...salmon, swordfish, etc. If I'm using it on beef I'll add a little worcestershire sauce, dry mustard, horseradish, and a tiny splash of red wine vinegar. To freshen it up for shrimp or scallops, some people use celery (or the leaves only) in the first mixing, but in my opinion, you have to strip the veins out before adding it in because it roughens up the smooth consistency to me...but it does add a nice herbal flavor....fresh basil works well as a 'freshening/herbal agent' too.

The one thing I like on mellow white fishes is I add in one cube of Knorrs shrimp bouillon, it kinda soft and comes in a foil wrapper...this stuff is so hard to find but worth the effort to track down. It's great for making ANYTHING you prepare (white cream sauces, red clam sauce, gumbo) taste a little more seafood-y...awesome stuff!

Once you do it a few times, you can throw it together in 10-15 minutes. Good luck.

Thanks, now I am hungry all over again :laugh:

Seriously.....Gary that sounds great! Thanks for the recipe. :thumbs:

These both sound great ! Throwing one together tonight for crab cakes tomorrow. I've made remoulades before but was looking for the twist that my brain wasn't coming up with on it's own .................. no surprise there :rolleyes: . I like the idea of the roasted red peppers. I never even heard of the shrimp bouillon ! I'll be looking for THAT !

There was a remoulade on a shrimp burger I had Thursday night that was good but I wouldn't have guessed it was made with either if these sets of ingredients. Now I'm going to have to try some on grilled salmon or scallops... Thanks for the recipes.

I I whipped up the red pepper version tonight ............. drizzled and then liberally poured this on crab cakes. Easy to make and really flavorful. I felt it was a little loose but it really didn't matter, the taste was great !!! Thanks for that suggestion. Outstanding ! :thumbs:

Down here in the Baltimore area all you need is Old Bay. :p

Was in Norfolk VA over the weekend and the Old Bay was put on most everything ................. even in the Bloody Marys

Down here in the Baltimore area all you need is Old Bay. :p

thanks for the info ..... sending order out today or tomorrow