• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Favorite Restaurant Copycat recipe

Gonz

Ultra Runner
There's many times that I've been thinking about what to have or make for a meal, and I think back to a dish that I've had at a great restaurant. The most recent example is the Au Gratin Potatoes at Ruth's Chris. The sauteed spinach there is another one. I always score points with my wife when I make her that spinach, which goes along great with a nice Filet and Cabernet.

5 medium potatoes, peeled*
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1/3 cup milk
1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 clove garlic, pressed
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
1 tablespoon butter, softened
2 cups grated cheddar cheese

Preheat Oven to 400 F.

Wash and cut potatoes into 1/4-inch slices, then cut the slices into chunks.

Mix together cream, milk, flour, garlic, salt and white pepper by hand until combined.

Coat inside of a large baking pan with softened butter. Arrange 1/3 of the potatoes in dish and top with some of the cream mixture. Repeat this 2 more times ending with cream mixture on top.

Cover the potatoes and bake for 20 minutes. Then uncover and cook an additional 40 minutes. Sprinkle with grated cheese and bake 5-10 minutes more until cheese is bubbly and lightly browned.

That sounds good! And I like the idea of copycat recipes....

Here's mine:

Seared salmon in a nest of pasta

I do this on an sheet of stainless steel over an open fire when possible and on a cast iron griddle (big one, over two burners) at home when the fire isn't possible. If you do it at home, be ready for the smoke detectors to go off ;)
Ingredients:
1/2 pound Angel hair pasta
2 Salmon fites
Bearnaise sauce
Extra Vrigin Olive Oil
Seasoning to taste

Make Bearnaise sauce and set aside

Cook angel hair Al dente.....rinse, sprinkle with EVOO, shake or stir and set aside.

Have the griddle super hot and place lightly oiled, and seasoned, salmon filets on it and watch em dance! Sear them very briefly and set them aside.

Pour a couple Tspns of EVOO on the griddle, spread it, and dump the pasta on the griddle. Spread the pasta into two large pancake sized pads and let it brown for one minute.......this also requires a very hot griddle. This is when the smoke detectors will go off.

The pasta will brown and become slightly brittle, after one minute, place a filet on the side of each pad of pasta and flip the other half of the pasta pad on top of the filet and let sit for 30 seconds then flip the nest over and sit for another 30 seconds.

Drizzle the Bearnaise sauce over the nest and enjoy!

Gonz,

that does sound great, Ruth's is definitely one of my favorites. If you don't mind sharing. I would love to know the recipe for the Spinach. I absolutely love that stuff.

Thanks in advance.

There's many times that I've been thinking about what to have or make for a meal, and I think back to a dish that I've had at a great restaurant. The most recent example is the Au Gratin Potatoes at Ruth's Chris. The sauteed spinach there is another one. I always score points with my wife when I make her that spinach, which goes along great with a nice Filet and Cabernet.

1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1/3 cup milk
1 clove garlic, pressed
1/2 teaspoon salt

Preheat Oven to 400 F.

Mix together cream, milk, flour, garlic, salt and white pepper by hand until combined.

Coat inside of a large baking pan with softened butter. Arrange 1/3 of the potatoes in dish and top with some of the cream mixture. Repeat this 2 more times ending with cream mixture on top.

Cover the potatoes and bake for 20 minutes. Then uncover and cook an additional 40 minutes. Sprinkle with grated cheese and bake 5-10 minutes more until cheese is bubbly and lightly browned.

This is a recipe I found years ago in one of those copy cat/top secret recipe books. Very simple and easy. Plus the finished product is remarkably close to the original.

IHOP Pancakes......

Nonstick spray
1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 egg
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 heaping teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup cooking oil
1/4 teaspoon salt

1) Preheat a skillet over medium heat. Use a pan with nonstick surface or apply a little nonstick spray.
2) In a blender or with a mixer, combine all of the remaining ingedients until smooth.
3) Pour the batter by spoonfuls into the hot pan, forming 5-inch circles
4) When the edges appear to harden, flip the pancakes. They should be light brown.
5) Cook on the other side for same amount of time, until light brown.

Makes 8-10 pancakes.

Enjoy!

Gonz,

that does sound great, Ruth's is definitely one of my favorites. If you don't mind sharing. I would love to know the recipe for the Spinach. I absolutely love that stuff.

Thanks in advance.

1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1/3 cup milk
1 clove garlic, pressed
1/2 teaspoon salt

Preheat Oven to 400 F.

pm sent