• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

FF Opus X......

SKYDIVNEKD

Call me "Walt Kowalski"
I'm not going to attempt a review of this cigar because I don't have the knowledge to complete a review properly. However, I can say it was an extreme disappointment.

The cigar was approx. 4.5" long and 40'ish ring size. The head was torpedo shape and it had a red ribbon around the foot. The cigar felt as though it was ready to smoke and the wrapper was beautiful. When I lit it, it produced an abundance of smoke. The draw was easy, so I figured I was in for a treat. Then it went out! :angry: I relit, and hit it a few times and got the smoke again. Joy! :sneaky: RIGHT!!! After talking briefly to my wife, I hit it again and it was nearly out again. Some light smoke came out. I hit it hard for a minute or two and it appeared as though it was recovering again. A minute later, BAM!!!! It was out again. :angry: Into the ash tray it went.

Needless to say, I was pissed. My anniversary dinner and a **** cigar. I'm not sure if it were TOO moist or what. My coolerdor is set at 69 - 70 % humidity. I don't know. This is the first time I have experienced this type of issue. I have a few more in the box so, I'll try again and hope for the best.

Any ideas/suggestions?!?!

Disappointed...... ???

SKYDIVNEKD :sign:

FYI, that was a Belicoso xXx, aka Power Ranger. I'm not sure why you were having problems keeping it lit. That would usually point to humidity problems, but you say your humidity's ok. How long have you had it? I'm thinking if you just got it, it might have been on the wet side before and hadn't had a chance to dry out yet.

Opus are noted for not burning well do to the amount of ligero in the blend. Most let them age for a year or two before smoking as this seems to help. Also most of this years production has burn problems, probably do to above mentioned lack of age. ???

Wascal

Hey, if you wanna send that other power ranger to me, I'll be happy to evaluate it and let you know if it's too wet, or what. :D

FT...I appreciate the offer, however, I believe I may let it age a bit more. :D I have had some of these guys for a year or so but I'm not sure how old this one was. I guess I'll let them sit for a few more months and try them then.

If I decide to unload them them, I'll be sure to let YOU know!! :thumbs:

Thanks for the input.

I smoke quite a few Opus, the xXx being the most common. I have never had a burn problem from an Opus X cigar. If your humidity is correct, which a salt test would prove, I would say you had an odd occurence or a fake. Check your source for these. If they are not an authorized Opus retailer a question as to legitimacy is in order. As far as the aging question: with opus I prefer them new. Aging mellows them way too much for my preference. They tend to get a very woodsy/cedary taste that I don't enjoy as much as the flavor of a fresh one. I have a few original release ones that taste like a cedar chew toy. LMAO

hey folks, nick again,

the opus line must be the most highly and hotly debated smoke i have seen on any of these boards (at least of the ones that don't come in glass toped boxes), are they that erradic in production, or is it just the perfect testament to the differences in smokers prefferences?

Nick :)

The Opus line is a quality cigar although I'd rather have a AF Don Carlos anytime over an Opus. All the hype with these is the low production and unavalibility of them. Imho

I would say mostly the latter, nick. Opuses, in my experience, are one of the most consistent cigars I've had. Part of the problem is the mystique that surrounds these cigars - probably moreso than Cubans. Everybody hears about them, and then one day they finally get to try one. And they expect it to make flames shoot out their ass or something, but it's only a cigar. A damn fine cigar, imo, but no cigar can live up to that amount of hype.

Matt R....I did get them from an authorized retailer, so I'm not worried at all about their authenticity. I may have just gotten one of the "off" ones. I have a few more in the box and plan on trying them here in the near future.

I didn't think it was the humidity because I have pulled other cigars from the cooler and not had any problems with them. In fact, I keep the FF Opus in their own cigar box in the cooler. None-the-less, I'll let y'all know what happens with the next one.

PS: Thanks for all of the comments on this topic! :D