• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

First attempt at casing

H. Vachon

King of the Hobo Hut
7134556E-E374-471F-AB56-18D1EE3D29EC.jpeg

So today I decided to mix up a double batch of my Va/Per blend. The modified blend is coming along nicely, especially after being pressed for 5 days and resting for a month or so. But from inception to the present, it is still missing that distinct sweetness. It just seems rather flat, so I decided to try making a light casing for the tobacco. I figured I would share the recipe I came up with and the process I used to apply it in case anyone else was interested. I plan to let it sit for 5-7 days before even sampling it, so I will update on the results in a week or so.

I guess this could be called a topping more than a casing, but my goal was not to add a tremendous amount of flavor. Just to influence the aroma and the sweetness.

4oz Amaretto
2oz Black rum
1/2 tablespoon white sugar
1/2 teaspoon Vanilla extract
3-5 drops of Anise extract

I spread the tobacco out as thin as I could on a large baking sheet and misted thoroughly with the casing. Then I put it in the oven @175 for 5-6 minutes. I then pulled it out, mixed it by hand and misted again. This time I let it sit in the oven for 10 minutes. When I took it out, the tobacco was slightly damp but not at all sticky. I let it cool for about 20 minutes then transferred it to a gallon sized freezer bag. I want to give it a week in the bag before jarring it to avoid any wet pockets/potential mold issues. The cherry from the Amaretto did not really come through in the aroma, which is awesome. I didn’t necessarily want the cherry flavor, it was just the sweetest liquor we had in the house.

I guess I’ll find out in a week if I made a good or bad decision 🤣

UPDATE:
It’s been a bit over a week since my experiment started. The tobacco has returned to its original moisture (by feel, anyway). It is a bit sweeter than I was aiming for, but it’s significantly more enjoyable than the natural blend. Not as sharp or harsh. I won’t be using amaretto as a base next time due to the flavor carry over. I knew it was a risk, but it was worth a shot. Will update with new recipe. But for my first attempt, I’m very happy. I will press the ounce I made and cut it into flakes to revisit on another day.

Last edited:
Are we talking about sausage or tobacco here? Lol :)

View attachment 60710

So today I decided to mix up a double batch of my Va/Per blend. The modified blend is coming along nicely, especially after being pressed for 5 days and resting for a month or so. But from inception to the present, it is still missing that distinct sweetness. It just seems rather flat, so I decided to try making a light casing for the tobacco. I figured I would share the recipe I came up with and the process I used to apply it in case anyone else was interested. I plan to let it sit for 5-7 days before even sampling it, so I will update on the results in a week or so.

I guess this could be called a topping more than a casing, but my goal was not to add a tremendous amount of flavor. Just to influence the aroma and the sweetness.

4oz Amaretto
2oz Black rum
1/2 tablespoon white sugar
1/2 teaspoon Vanilla extract
3-5 drops of Anise extract

I spread the tobacco out as thin as I could on a large baking sheet and misted thoroughly with the casing. Then I put it in the oven @175 for 5-6 minutes. I then pulled it out, mixed it by hand and misted again. This time I let it sit in the oven for 10 minutes. When I took it out, the tobacco was slightly damp but not at all sticky. I let it cool for about 20 minutes then transferred it to a gallon sized freezer bag. I want to give it a week in the bag before jarring it to avoid any wet pockets/potential mold issues. The cherry from the Amaretto did not really come through in the aroma, which is awesome. I didn’t necessarily want the cherry flavor, it was just the sweetest liquor we had in the house.

I guess I’ll find out in a week if I made a good or bad decision 🤣
I hope you made extra to drink.😂

I have been doing some casing myself. Im pretty sure these people are gone all day, they have no alarm system, and no dogs.

Thier trailer should be easy enough to break into.

Maybe snag some PBR and some crack!😁

I knew pipe tobacco had a sweet smell but didn't realize what made it that way.