• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

First Bowl

johncarbaugh

Antisocial Prick!
Just smoked my first bowl. Went with Prince Albert. Now if I can just keep the dumb thing lit. Had some bite I think it was to moist and I may not have packed it tight enough. How firm should I pack it and how hard should it draw. The draw on mine was very easy. In time I will figure it out.

It's hard to describe how hard. I'm sure Alan will help here. I'm new also and have found you just need to play with it. Usually I dip my pipe into the tobacco and let just gravity fill the bowl full, kind of like scooping it full gently. Then push this down to the half way point. I usually then dip again to fill the pipe. Now I've found if I start to dip a third time but this time give it help with my finger and pinch about 1/4" of tobacco tight to the pipe, and then press this amount in the bowl using my thumbs (really just pressing across the bowl, not sticking my finger into the bowl) I seem to be able to not have to relight a bunch.

As to the bite, I've been bit ALOT. I'm currently suffering from some nasty bite from yesterday. I'm smoking way to fast. I find I just want smoke in my mouth/nose too much. It's like a sucker you try to lick all the time. I've yet to learn to slow down and only sip here and there at the right pace. I've been keeping the pipe in my mouth and this isn't good for me. I tend to just puff about every other breath. (I know, way too fast.) I'm working on only puffing every couple minutes. I just don't have the will power now!!!!

Anyway, this is just another newb with similar problems having fun figuring this out. I really do enjoy it when it works. I've just been bite out of my own inpatients. I have learned a packing system that seems to work for me. Some realy like the frank method. (search you tube for frand method) and others the pack half, then half again. (see Alan's post on this)

Just keep enjoying! Try carter hall also, I enjoy it more than Prince Albert.

Andy

I have read all the info I can find. I have watched the videos. Much easer said than done :blush: . It will just take time. I will not give up on it.

I do have some Carter Hall to try also.

Don't forget to allow your tongue to get into shape. It takes 4 to 6 weeks, until then, everything bites. I know this from experience as I have put my pipes down for extended periods many times over the past 40yrs.

Doc.

I'm really new to pipe smoking, started in April, and can echo some wisdom that's already here... and elsewhere.

Smoke SLOW. I had a lot of trouble with this. I think after three months of working at it that I've had some success recently.

If you get gurgle, or tongue bite, smoke SLOWER. Seriously! Or consider leaving the tobacco out to dry a bit before loading your pipe. Almost everything out there is too moist straight from the tin.

I agree with Doc above that getting the tongue into shape is part of the equation. I started out with very little bite, it seemed, but after a few weeks, there was definitely some discomfort, and I thought it was due to poor technique. Recently, I felt I turned the corner, and was finally smoking slow, but still experiencing a little bit of tongue bite with certain tobaccos, so I've taken a break. My tongue is probably at 85% at the moment, after four or five days off. I figure I'll give it another five days to a week or so, and then get back into it. I suspect once I start over with a good clean healthy tongue that's been exposed to a few months of pipe smoke, and using much better technique, I should have better results.

Finally, what are you smoking in? I find the combination of new pipe smoker and new briar pipe to be basically terrible. My best experiences early were with estate pipes (even if they weren't cleaned all that well, because I didn't know any better, at least they were broken in) or with Kirsten pipes. Now that I know a bit more of what I'm doing, and my first couple of new pipes have had five or ten bowls each through them, we get along a LOT better.

Learning to smoke a pipe is a journey... I fully expect that a year from now, I'll still be learning things that improve my smoking experience!

BTW Carter Hall is very easy to smoke, burns well, and great flavor. Love it. Prince Albert is good too but has less flavor and more nicotine and doesn't burn quite as well from my limited experience. I like both tobaccos. FWIW supposedly the version in the tub is superior to the pouch, as they use less PG for the tub version. (I've never tried the pouch, only the tub, so this is all second hand...) So if you're smoking the pouch version and like it, do yourself a favor and try a tub.

Biotine mouth wash works wonders for tongue bite

Doc.

Well I am up to bowl 3 and about ready to pack #4. Trying to let it dry out some on a paper plate before I put it into bowl. Packed it tighter and held the lighter to it longer and it is working much better for me. I was just getting it lit and taking the lighter away before. I am going to stay with the CH and PA until I get the packing and keeping it lit down better then I will try all the ones Dan sent me.

Well just got done with #4 with no relights. :thumbs: Lit it better and tamped it more when it was starting to burn out. Once I get the lighting and keeping it down I can relax and just enjoy it.

Thank you for all the help you have gave me.

How do you like the CH and PA? I've tended to like the CH better. I've not smoked enough of each to make up my mind. Just curious at to your impressions. I've found more flavor from the CH at this point.

Andy

How do you like the CH and PA? I've tended to like the CH better. I've not smoked enough of each to make up my mind. Just curious at to your impressions. I've found more flavor from the CH at this point.

Andy

I have only had one of the PA and it was the first one I ever tried. The other three we CH. I will need to smoke many many more before I am willing to voice any opinion on taste.

Sounds like you're on your way! It really takes some experimentation and practice. A lot of people give up the pipe quickly because they don't take the time to learn it and develop their own methods and preferences. I'm still learning at this point and I smoked my first pipe in 1995, smoked regularly for about 3 years and then put it down until last year.

I'm glad you're not giving up!

"FWIW supposedly the version in the tub is superior to the pouch, as they use less PG for the tub version. (I've never tried the pouch, only the tub, so this is all second hand...) So if you're smoking the pouch version and like it, do yourself a favor and try a tub."

i've smoked alot of the "codger" burley blends; PA, CH, Kentucky Club (blue), H&H, Velvet, etc. both from
the pouch and tub (can) and i really can't say the packaging makes a difference. my experience has
been that all these blends are too moist initially to smoke no matter how they are packaged and once dried out a bit, smoke equally well regardless of packaging. it would be interesting to know if the manufacturing
process was indeed different depending on the packaging, but i doubt it.

also for those of you who like both PA and CH, try blending the two, personally i like a 50/50 mix.

also for those of you who like both PA and CH, try blending the two, personally i like a 50/50 mix.

Thank you so much for this suggestion. I had a bowl today and it was wonderful. Great flavor and burned excellent. I mentioned this in another post and could not remember who suggested it.

John, give this mix a try, I would say it is up there in my favorites at this point.

Andy

I got them both so I will give it a try. Doing much better with all the lighting, keeping it lit, and burn issues. Now I can start finding out what I like and don't.
Have some better pipes on the way and I just won a Nibo-old boy for $14 :thumbs: