• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

First Experience with pipesandtobacco.com a dissapointment

SkyKing

I started smoking pipes again after a long lay off. I quit a number of years ago because they were inconvenient while travelling and commuting.

Smoking anything (except weed,lol) is now so politically incorrect, that it is inconvenient to smoke anywhere, so I figured I might as well pick up the pipe again.

Unfortunately, most of my old pipes disappeared. I found a couple of briars and got a Missouri Meerschaum, and smoked a bowl a day for a couple of weeks. Pipes won't replace my cigars but they have their place when watching the tube or reading.

I noticed an ad on P&C offering 3 briar pipes for $70. You couldn't select the three, you had to trust P&C to pick for you. I ordered them, along with 5 tins of G.L. Pease, figuring it would be an inexpensive way to add variety to my little collection.

P&C filled the order promptly but I was VERY disappointed that the 3 pipes were identical in almost every way - the bite, shape, color, finish, wall size, mfr, etc Hoping there was a mistake, I called customer service and explained politely my dissatisfaction. Apparently this wasn't the first time the customer rep heard the complaint. Essentially, I was told tough nuggy and they wouldn't accept a return.

I found a little solace in that the G.L. Pease Sextet baccy was delicious and that the cheap briar pipes they sent smoked decently enough, judging what little I can by the one bowl I tried.

Still, the taste was made bitter by the hustler flavor  in their sales tactics. So, P&C gets to keep my $69.95 but it will be the very last dollar they get from me. P&C seems to have a decent enough reputation here at CigarPass, so I was doubly surprised at their shabby treatment.

I guess I can gift a newbie with one of these pipes or maybe trade one for a decent cigar or two, or perhaps a MO-Meers.

Something to keep in mind about Pipes and Cigars is that they are no longer who they used to be. I'm not saying this to dissuade shopping them, just to help explain differences in customer service.

Pipesandcigars.com was originally operated by my regular local B&M, in Colonie, NY. As I understand it, the internet business side became so successful that the owner had to choose between large investments to keep up, or to take and offer that was made, and sell the web side. A year or two ago, the web side began to be operated by a company based in Bethlehem, PA. Most cigar smokers are pretty familiar with them...

I don't know how e-commerce works with respect to continued use of the Pipes and Cigars name and website. I do believe that Russ Oulette still has a hand in the pipe business through there, though. Meanwhile, the B&M remains a very nice place to shop and smoke, and I'll continue to patronize them as the years go on.

Sounds iike another example of big business buying out a successful small company and then ruining what made them successful in the first place.

So I called smokingpipes.com in South CaroIina a ordered several tins today and two new pipes - one a Merscheem estate, the other a new Nording rustic freehand. I would have ordered a Ben Wade Freehand but couldn't decide on which one, 

I also ordered an oversized Mr. Brog and a Church Warden. Think I'll hold off on the Ben Wade until after I break in the others.

I stick with
4noggins
smokingpipes
melantobacco (they have $20 off most pipes.   Nording freehands are $75 which sell at $97 new)

Thanks. I took the time to write to pipes and tobacco regarding the issue. They didn't take the time to respond. I've since purchased a half dozen quality pipes from smokingpipes.com and have been very happy with the products and service.