• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

First Humidor & A Quest Begins

calstogy

I've always enjoyed a good cigar. With several excellent stores in the neighborhood, I have the habit of handing a smoke or two to good friends and associates. One thing leading to another, one of my associates brought me back a box of Cuban Cohiba's from Spain. This no longer fit my model of buy it and smoke it. Thus my first humidor.

In my naivete I converted an old Walnut box I kept for sentimental reasons from my Father's estate. In the first incarnation, I made a Spanish Cedar liner from woods supplied from our local hardwood dealer. A couple months later, as I got more interested in building an even better humidor, I discovered that the cedar was actually the aromatic variety used to keep moths at bay.

first_humidor.jpg

As shown in the photo, the current liner is the real Spanish Cedar. It does a relatively good job of regulating the humidity. What hydrometer to use is another long quest, but inside this box is a $20 digital-adjustable, calibrated with salt/H20 - good to ~2%. The two piece lid has no hinges: a locking sheet of cedar and a 1/2" of solid walnut to weight it down.

The humidifier is a high temperature porcelain crucible with floral foam and 50/50 solution - I think there are beads in my future.

I'm now on a quest for the perfect humidor and only hope that I can stay ahead of the curve as cigars arrive.

Looks nice for a little furst custom job! I've always wanted to make something similar.

As everyone says though, make sure you go big when you buy! You'll be filling it up and wont have ay room before you know it!

Thanks for the observations. I have ambitious plans to build a small desktop humidor for the quick grab and ready to smoke, a Coleman for long term aging, and eventually an end table and walk-in humidor. It all takes time and lots of consideration.

Thanks for the observations. I have ambitious plans to build a small desktop humidor for the quick grab and ready to smoke, a Coleman for long term aging, and eventually an end table and walk-in humidor. It all takes time and lots of consideration.
I have a coolidor for storing boxes and bundles and just reload from it when needed. I keep my coolidor in the basement so asthetics are not an issue.

I like it!

I've always wanted to pickup a nice old silverware box and do the same thing to it. It seems you can pickup old empty wooden silverware boxes at thrift stores all the time.