• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

First Official contest of 2006 (J/K)

DePasta

Stop it! That tickles!
Ok, the other night in the chat room I was inspired by our fellow BOTL to do a contest. The discussion began with the naming of a few 80’s bands ….the naming went on for an hour…..much to SamClemmons’ disdain. You can thank AVB, Lee, Gandolf, godfather , SC (for his injection of humor) and everyone else present for inspiring the contest.

The rules: Answer all the questions 1-17, you can post the answers here or PM me the answers. If you PM me, post to this thread that you did.

This contest is open to all members who meet the following criteria:
A) You need to be a member before today (1/1/06) with at least one post prior to today.
B) You need to have been born prior to 1984 (just because)
C) If you are not an FOG or close (as determined by me) and have too many negative posts about another member(s)you may be disqualified.(again as determined by me.)
D) No editing!!

#17 is a tiebreaker question. If 2 people get all 17 right by the deadline the one who I like best will win (that is the one with the earlier time stamp on their posting)

Oh yeah---Spelling counts

1) What group sang about a dutchie?
2) What group got its name from the primal therapy method developed by Arthur Janov?
3) Name the 5 original members of New Edition.
4) Who was the first western pop group to perform in China?
5) In the band Echo and the Bunnymen, who/what was Echo?
6) What Band was named after a character in the 1960's film Barbarella?
7) What is the name of Poison’s drummer?
8) What is Jenny’s number? Who sang about it?
9) Who was the leader of the Transformers?
10) What was the name of the mechanical dog on Battlestar Galactica?
11) What commercial was Michael Jackson singing for when his hair caught on fire?
12) Name the four ghosts from Pac-Man.
13) What was the name of Michael Knight's car?
14) What was the name of the bartender on "The Love Boat"?
15) What kind of sword did Thundar the Barbarian have?
16) So, who shot JR? (Character name and actor/actress name)

17) These two bands' names were inspired by the same actor.
One of these bands was named after a headline about the actor; the other took the name of one of the movies in which he starred. Can you name the bands?

Contest Ends Wednesday, January 4, 2006 at 1800 EST.

Thanks and Good Luck,

-Dan

By the way it is possible to have redeemed yourself regarding the negative posts. I will make that determination.

Oh man...I feel old now. I know most of these but need to goolgle about 3 of them. Great contest!

1) What group sang about a dutchie? - Musical Youth

2) What group got its name from the primal therapy method developed by Arthur Janov? - Primal Scream

3) Name the 5 original members of New Edition. - Michael Bivins, Bobby Brown, Ricky Bell, Ralph Tresvant, and Ronnie DeVoe

4) Who was the first western pop group to perform in China? – Wham

5) In the band Echo and the Bunnymen, who/what was Echo? - drum machine

6) What Band was named after a character in the 1960's film Barbarella? - Durand Durand

7) What is the name of Poison’s drummer? - Rikki Rockett

8) What is Jenny’s number? Who sang about it? - 867-5309 /Tommy Tutone

9) Who was the leader of the Transformers? - Optimus Prime

10) What was the name of the mechanical dog on Battlestar Galactica? - Muffy the Daggit

11) What commercial was Michael Jackson singing for when his hair caught on fire? - Pepsi

12) Name the four ghosts from Pac-Man. – shadow aka blinky speedy aka pinky bashful aka inky pokey aka clyde

13) What was the name of Michael Knight's car? – Kitt

14) What was the name of the bartender on "The Love Boat"? - Isaac Washington

15) What kind of sword did Thundar the Barbarian have? power sword

16) So, who shot JR? (Character name and actor/actress name) – Kristin / Mary Crosby

17) These two bands' names were inspired by the same actor.
One of these bands was named after a headline about the actor; the other took the name of one of the movies in which he starred. Can you name the bands? - lol no idea

Great idea for a contest, brought back alot of good memories :thumbs:

BTW one response max. and on #2 I am looking for a band with hits in the 80's.

Regards,
Dan

1. Musical Youth
2. Tears for fears
3. Michael Bivins, Bobby Brown, Ricky Bell, Ralph Tresvant, and Ronnie DeVoe
4. Wham
5. Echo was the drum machine
6. Duran Duran
7. Rikki Rocket
8. 867-5309, Tommy Tutone
9. Optimus Prime
10. Three names... Muffy, Muffin, and Muffet
11. Pepsi
12. Blinky ("Shadow") is the red ghost, Pinky ("Speedy") is the pink ghost, nky ("Bashful") is the light blue ghost, Clyde ("Pokey"), the orange ghost
13. KITT
14. Isaac Washington
15. A Sun Sword
16. Sue Ellen's sister Kristin, Kristen was played by Colleen Camp (1978-1979) and Mary Crosby (1979-1981)
17. No clue

Lot's of good answers but no one knows #17 looks like this will be the one to take it all. If someone who already answers left off 17 I will take additional submissions, but only on #17.

This is fun.

-Dan

1. Musical Youth
2. Tears for fears
3. Michael Bivins, Bobby Brown, Ricky Bell, Ralph Tresvant, and Ronnie DeVoe
4. Wham
5. Echo was the drum machine
6. Duran Duran
7. Rikki Rocket
8. 867-5309, Tommy Tutone
9. Optimus Prime
10. Three names... Muffy, Muffin, and Muffet
11. Pepsi
12. Blinky ("Shadow") is the red ghost, Pinky ("Speedy") is the pink ghost, nky ("Bashful") is the light blue ghost, Clyde ("Pokey"), the orange ghost
13. KITT
14. Isaac Washington
15. A Sun Sword
16. Sue Ellen's sister Kristin, Kristen was played by Colleen Camp (1978-1979) and Mary Crosby (1979-1981)
17. Frankie Goes to Hollywood? and something else :)

My appologies to Jabba for copying his post :)

Call me lazy...

Ding Ding, we have one winner. He has answered the questions including #17. The contest will continue to get a second winner so there will be 2 prizes! So if you think you know the answers keep playing.

-Dan

Frankie Goes to Holywood: From an old newspaper headline about Frankie Vaughn (not, as many people assume, Frank Sinatra).

OK we have our winners!!!!
Congratulations to Gandolf565 and Dre-- both meet age requirments and submitted all 17 correct answers.

Consolation prizes go to Cheekie for most impressive answer by a girl.
13) What was the name of Michael Knight's car? K.I.T.T., Knight Industries Two Thousand

and to Matt R for helping to Dispell the rumor that Frankie goes to hollywood was actually named for Frank Sinatra as most people think.

Congratulations all answers to follow.

-Dan

1. musical youth
2.Tears for fears (also had Primal Screams which I would have taken even though their first hits weren't until th 90's in the UK.)
3.Bobby Brown, Michael Bivins, Ricky Bell, Ralph Tresvant, Ronnie Devoe
4.Wham
5.drum machine
6.Duran Duran
7.Rikki Rocket
8.867-5309 Tommy Tutone
9.Optimus Prime
10.Muffit or Muffy the Daggit, Muffet etc.
11.Pepsi
12.Blinky ("Shadow") is the red ghost.
Pinky ("Speedy") is the pink ghost.
Inky ("Bashful") is the light blue ghost.
Clyde ("Pokey"), the orange ghost
13.KITT
14.Isaac Washington
15.Sun Sword
16.J.R. Ewing was shot by Kristin Sheppard (Sue Ellen's sister),Mary Crosby
17.Danny Wilson
Formed in 1986 in Dundee by brothers Kit (guitar/vocals) and Gary Clark (guitar/vocals) and Ged Grimes (keyboards/vocals), the trio named themselves Spencer Tracy before settling on Danny Wilson - after Frank Sinatra's character in the movie Meet Danny Wilson...

Frankie Goes to Hollywood

Thanks to all who played!!!!

-Dan

gandolf565 said:

Call me lazy...
[snapback]269358[/snapback]​

I think you should send me half the prize for using my answers! LOL

jabba said:
gandolf565 said:

Call me lazy...
[snapback]269358[/snapback]​

I think you should send me half the prize for using my answers! LOL
[snapback]269370[/snapback]​
I'll work something out :)

Jabba, you have no address in your profile...