• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

First real humidor, help with setup.

dogcatcher

I just won a Reed & Barton Westchase 100 stick humidor on eBay http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...:EOIBSA:US:1123 This will be my first real humidor and I want to get it set up correctly. My friend prompted me to get a real box by giving me 25 cigars for xmas.

It comes with a diamond crown humidfication system but I have read alot about beads. I was wondering if someone more knowledgable could reccomend a rH level and volume of beads for this size humidor. I live is sunny soCal and probably will not keep more than 50 sticks at a time in my box.
Additionally, I am looking for a good digital rH hygromiter.

I did a search but it only confused me further.

TIA

D

First off you should post an introduction in the "introduce yourself" thread and let us know a little about you about you. Second google heartfelt beads, and you'll see a conversion thingy on the page to know how much of them you'll need. (at the bottom, it says calculator). R/H is a matter of choice. I like mine between 65%-70%. Some like it around 70%-75%. There have been numerous posts about this too. Look for the Cigar Swag linky on here, to get a digital hygro. Free Shipping!! Lastly you're Google-fu must be strong here. Search, search, and search some more.

Cheers!

Edited to add: forgot the bit about the hygro

Here is a good hygrometer. Click Me!

Here is a good idea for a desk top humi. Clicky here too

Post an intro, welcome to CP.

This is pretty much spot on. According to the dimensions listed in the auction you need a little over an ounce of beads, which the heartfelt puck offers, and that hygro more or less the best out there, especially for the price. The one other thing you may want to do is add a small tube(half or one ounce) of heartfelt beads in the bottom of the humidor, as a buffer for humidity/temp swings and to ensure even humidity. Have fun and good luck!