• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

First Scotch

Ellman

This is my first ever Single malt Scotch. Mixed it with distilled water. I guess its not bad, but strong compared to the beer i usually drink. is the a good brand of scotch? Should I try something else. this is a bit rough for my taste. any help? please.

I prefer a 15 yr old Glenfiddich Solera Reserve :love: very smooth I even prefer it over the 18yr old Special Reserve. I have found that the 15 yr old goes well with any cigar, Also you should never mix water (distilled or otherwise ) with a good single malt ya never know where its been :p

MaCallen 12 isn't a bad scotch but it also isn't the best Macallan either. One of the most consistantly high rated scotches is the MaCallan 18 (about $90). That is one of the world's best. MaCallan ages all of their scotch in sherry oak casks and this does make it a bit sweeter than most other scotches.

If you want to stay at the 12 yo price range then there are a number to choose from. Different areas are known for having different tastes. Islay usually has a heavy peat taste and some consider that the way it should be. Most begining scotch drinkers don't like that strong flavor. See my review on the Laphroaig 15 yo.

Balvenie DoubleWood 12 yo is rated well and is a Speyside scotch
Springbank 10 or 12 yo is very good and is from Campbeltown
Dalmore 12 yo is a Northern Highland scotch I would recommend
Highland Park 12 yo is from Orkney and is well rated
Oban is a 14 yo from the Western Highland area and is a bit lighter in taste.
Laphroaig 10 yo or Lagavulin 16 yo are from Islay and have a taste like no other.
Of course, the 2 Glens, Glenlivet and Glenfiddich are the largest selling 12 yo scotches in the world and you can't go wrong with either of them.

If you can move up the price ladder a bit I would say that Highland Park 18 or Dalmore 21 are the best buys in scotch at the moment. Both are around $70 a bottle.

Single Malts are very good but there are many choices. A MaCallan to start with isn't bad at all.

Ellman said:
This is my first ever Single malt Scotch. Mixed it with distilled water. I guess its not bad, but strong compared to the beer i usually drink. is the a good brand of scotch? Should I try something else. this is a bit rough for my taste. any help? please.
I don't have AVB's vast experience with scotches, but it is my understanding that the 18 year old MacCallan is the benchmark by which all other scotches are judged. The 25 year old is considered to be better, by many, but the 18 year old MacCallan is the standard. At least, that is what I have read. You did well to start with MacCallan of any age.

Scotch, like most forms of alcohol, is an acquired taste. Stick with the MacCallan and you will appreciate it, in time. When I started drinking scotch, I didn't care for the taste, but I decided that I would learn to like it, or die trying. Fortunately, I'm not dead yet, and I love the taste of a good scotch. :D

Just got a bottle of MacCallan Cask Strength and it's tremendous. Smooth and sweet and complex. I'm never without a bottle of MacCallan of some kind. I also agree with the above statement that the 18 is one of the world's great single malts.

There is a single malt scotch society www.smws.com that might be of interest. They host scotch and cigar tastings all over the country. Check out their web site.

I enjoy Craggamore sms. Beyond that you should check out Irish whiskey. They have single malt as well as blends. Worth trying. Good luck.
Peter

I just purchased my 1st Single Malt.......Balvenie 15yr old Single Barrel :)

One of my favorites Fast but a bit strong (alcohol wise) at around 100 proof. Maybe you should cut it to start off and see how you like it that way. There is nothing wrong having scotch over ice or with a little water.