• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

First Winter with Glass-Tops

jnknzz

Shankopotamus
I've figured out that eventhough my humi's seal very well (whooosh), the glass in them does not. I'm tired of recharging every few days so I'm going to just seal around the glass seams. I've read topics on ortho-wax as a fix, so I'm curious as to what else I can use.

My question: Can I use Rope Caulk (made by Duck) to seal the glass? I've got a lot of sealing to do, so little effort is mandatory. I assumed a long strip of rope caulk would be much easier to work with (plus I've already got it). The box says it's rubber-based and it doesn't have much of a scent. Will this work? I'm concerned with residual scents and how well it would hold in a humid environment.

I'm sure I can do the ortho-wax fix, but it would take forever to roll it all out. Just for reference...this is the main project. Thanks in advance for the help, guys!!

Derek

A more cost effective way would be to send all of your sticks to me. ;)

Are you using the wine cabinet portion of that for cigar storage as well?

Are you using the wine cabinet portion of that for cigar storage as well?
Absolutely. I've got maybe 10-12 boxes in there now. It held humidity perfectly through the summer and fall. The top portion seals just fine. I've got close to 14oz. of beads in the cabinet section, fwiw.

A more cost effective way would be to send all of your sticks to me. ;)
I had actually considered that! If my first option to seal the humi's won't work, I'm just gonna throw everything away. Then if that doesn't work out, they're all yours, buddy!! :D

Derek :thumbs:

That rope caulk is easy to work with. I used it to seal up the cracks in a log cabin I built with my Dad when I was a kid. I'm sure it would help seal up the glass. Do the doors have a tight seal?

That rope caulk is easy to work with. I used it to seal up the cracks in a log cabin I built with my Dad when I was a kid. I'm sure it would help seal up the glass. Do the doors have a tight seal?
The door itself has weatherstripping and magnets to keep the door sealed. And I've done the dollar test...passed. But when I close the door, I can tell the glass shakes a little. So I'm sure the glass isn't sealed very well. I assume the beads have just been saving my a** until now when the RH in the house is 15.

Derek

Is there a way to remove the glass and use double sided foam tape. 3-M makes A double sided foam tape with A red plastic on it to keep it from sticking to itself. It'll seal tight and is tough as nails + no fumes.

Is there a way to remove the glass and use double sided foam tape. 3-M makes A double sided foam tape with A red plastic on it to keep it from sticking to itself. It'll seal tight and is tough as nails + no fumes.
I see no way to remove the glass without completely taking the door apart.

No one sees any adverse affects to using the Rope Caulk? ??? Thanks for the help so far, guys!

Derek

Does that rope caulk smell at all? My only concern would be that if it did you could possibly taint a few sticks.

Do they sell food grade silicone in small syringes?

I used to have a glass top humidor and in order to get it to seal I had to seal the glass. I used regular old clear silicone caulking in the seam on the OUTSIDE of the top between the wooden frame and the glass. If you take your time and are careful you won't even see the silicone once your done. I couldn't smell anything on the inside of the top, but YMMV.

Personally, I wouldn't use any kind of caulking on the inside without taking everything out and letting it outgas for several days.

I used the Ortho wax (dental wax) and it worked perfectly with no smell or mess. It only took a few minutes to roll it out and press into place. Just make sure the wax is not too cold and it will work easy. I rolled it out on the table top and the friction from rolling it softened it and made it thin out quickly.

If you have the type of humi with the external hygrometer you'll want to seal around the hygro as well

Danny

UPDATE:

I took all the sticks out of my small glass-top and put them into a tupper. Rolled out the rope caulk and easily pushed it into the seams on the inside. There's no smell to the caulk, nor is there a smell inside the humi now. I've left it alone for a few days to make sure it was seasoned, and it hasn't moved from 65%. Normally by now I would've had to recharge...beads are still clear. I guess it's all working out so far. I'll let yall know what happens with the wine cabinet part. Thanks for the help, guys!

Derek

ps - the rope caulk is staying put very well, but can be easily removed in the future