• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Florida County banning smokers from new jobs

I can't believe some of the stories coming out of Florida or Texas sometimes.

No way that passes... if it does, you may as well count on Body Cavity Searches as a requirement for *____Fill in the Blank____*.
If people don't start realizing that this Nanny State BS will destroy each individual in a matter of time...

You can expect more of this crap for government jobs.  These guys have no shame, will bow to any PC gust of wind that comes along.  

The private sector is different.  If you've got a real skill with even a little track record, and there's a real need, you'll get hired.

It's all about health and health insurance. Missing work and illness costs. Yes, we currently have the right to smoke our cigars, (if we can find a place to hide and not get caught :whistling: ), but no matter how we feel about it, the tobacco Nazi's will keep squeezing until the areas to hide become fewer and harder to find.

BBS I hope you are not insinuating that Govt. employees have no real skill, If so, I am offended. It takes real skill to provide some of the myriad of services that some govt employees provide. If you do not benefit or use any govt services in your city, county, or state, you must have one hell of a cash flow and mega fortress. Believe me, even though I work for the state of CO, if they were to try some BS move and prohibit tobacco use, they'd have another thing coming! A similar argument has been made here in Colorado from the Marijuana lobbyists/enthusiasts regarding private sector jobs, drug testing and denying opportunities to those, that in their minds, are choosing a "safer" alternative than alcohol for adults.

I know what your saying, but I hope you don't feel that way about all govt employees and services.

Peace,

C

As a former pack a day cigarette smoker for 28 years, I remember using more sick days at work (private and government/public safety) but not really putting my finger on any specific cause other than not taking care of my health and working too much/ lack of sleep combinations. Once I switched to cigars and dipping tobacco, the only time I take sick leave is when I need to play hooky. 

Like any other thing, too much intake without a chance to sweat it out with good old fashioned manual labor or exercise will leave anyone in bad health. This is just my life story.  

<edit for "years"> 

CMontoya79 said:
BBS I hope you are not insinuating that Govt. employees have no real skill, If so, I am offended. It takes real skill to provide some of the myriad of services that some govt employees provide. If you do not benefit or use any govt services in your city, county, or state, you must have one hell of a cash flow and mega fortress. Believe me, even though I work for the state of CO, if they were to try some BS move and prohibit tobacco use, they'd have another thing coming! A similar argument has been made here in Colorado from the Marijuana lobbyists/enthusiasts regarding private sector jobs, drug testing and denying opportunities to those, that in their minds, are choosing a "safer" alternative than alcohol for adults.

I know what your saying, but I hope you don't feel that way about all govt employees and services.

Peace,

C

Sorry my post was badly worded.  I meant that the folks that make the rules for government employees are the snakes, I have no bone to pick with the employees.  Government agencies are the ones that all too often blow in the wind of political correctness, forcing the employees along with them.  As far as private sector jobs, my point was that it would be very unlikely to see this sort of nonsense in a private industry where skills seem to be more appreciated, and often better rewarded.

As you probably know, my oldest son is a Corporal in the USMC and as such, is a government employee.  He most certainly has skills, and I have a lot of pride for my son.

Proud son of USMC
. Thank your son for his service BBS. The systems, and often those in charge, for public and private sector, can really suck sometimes.

C