• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Flying Dog

cigarsarge

BOHICA
Been a warm day here in West Tennessee so I decided to pick up a few beers to chill with.

I looked around and saw something I've never had...Flying Dog Tire Bite Golden Ale.

So here goes the review...

Flying Dog Tire Bite Golden Ale
Flying Dog Brewery
Denver, Colorado
Alcohol 5.12 AVB

I poured this into an unchilled Pilsner glass. It poured medium yellow with a thin head that hung on through the whole glass. Moderate lacing was also noticed as I drank the beer.

Upon pouring the beer the arouma was of that of citrus...Pretty nice.

The flavor was a little hoppy and dry. The citrus made its self present. it had an extremely smooth finish. It was a little watery in the mouth with not much complexity.

Overall it's OK if you like lighter beers. It's good for the reason I picked it up. It's a good refreshing lawn mowing beer.

If you are looking for a taste rush this ain't the one. There are much better beers...This one has it's place in my rotation as a summer afternoon chiller.

On a scale of 1-10 I give it a 7.5.

I like most of the beers. Of course there is always better. I'm just glad the breweries in the good ole USA has a serious market for competition otherwise we would be stuck with just BMC.

So with that said i will ask a fact. Which US President legalized Homebrewing which ended up being the turning point for all these other Microbreweries we see today?

I have had two of the Flying Dog brews, (The Hunter Thompson Imperial Porter and the Flying Dog Pale Ale) and I found them unimpressive as well. The porter was downright HORRIBLE and the Pale Ale was very blah. I am a huge fan of Thompson and wanted to like the beer. I tried on two separate occasions and could get the whole 12 ounces down. I also agree with you sarge that there are just too many good beers out there. I can't justify working my way through the rest of their beers at nearly $10 a six-pack.

I had the Old Scratch Amber Lager this weekend and I wasn't that impressed. It had a pretty decent malt flavor, but the finish was a littel off to me. It was a bit too hoppy. It wasn't really harsh, it just didn't seem to complement the malt flavors of the brew as well as I would have liked.

I picked up the Imperial Porter on my last trip to Colorado, and I enjoyed it a lot, but the others I've tried are pretty ho-hum to me. I'd like to get a hold of their barleywine, but I've never seen it in Kansas.

I'm a fan of Flying Dog and their beers. They used to have a really kick-ass bar attached to the brewary in downtown Denver. Always a good game of foos or pool to be had, and of course great beers and a good staff. Then someone else bought them out and the bar is super lame. The beer is still the same though. There's a first aid kit inside the brewary, which when opened is nothing more than a tap in the wall which feeds from a keg in the refridgerated room next door. Good stuff!

And of course the names can't be beat. Doggie Style Ale, Tire Bite, Road Dog Porter.

this is one brewery that really suprised me. They have anice assortment of beers. I enjoyed this beer and found it to have a very light citrusy taste paired with a milder cigar would make for a nice relaxing day on the porch.

I really enjoyed the tire biter!

I'll have to try the other varieties, I guess. Of course there's no place to get it here and the sample I had was brought back from someone else's trip to Denver.

I was surprised because I had heard good things and I usually like that style of beer. Maybe another variety would agree with me more.

hmm.....now to plan that trip to Denver.

Alan, try MGM Liquors if you have em up there. They carry it down here in Mankato, and I'm sure it's up in the cities too. Now if they'd just get Fat Tire...

Thanks for the tip. The only bigger place we have here is CashWise. Everything else is locally owned and operated as far as I know. I'll check over in Superior next time I make an Arby's run, they've got some bigger shops over there.

If nothing up here pans out, we're heading down to the cities in October...

I went to a private party there this past summer. They have some decent stuff, but as said earlier, for the most part I found it unimpressive.

I much prefer Breckenridge Brewery and New Belgium

The bar attached to the brewery is not nearly is fun as it used to be. There were some new owners a couple years ago and it went downhill from there. The beer is still great, but that bar sucks now.