• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Fonseca Don Anteros

txmatt

El Cheapo smoker
Friday afternoon I decided to fire up a Fonseca Don Anteros that was gifted to me by Moki. This cigar has been tempting me to smoke it for several weeks now. Its sungrown Cuban Crillolo '99 (Honduras grown) wrapper was extremely oily and caught my eye each time I perused the box I was storing it in. Some more particulars, it is 6.75"x48 ring, tapered fully closed on both ends. The binder is 1992 Dominican Olor, and the filler is ligeros from both Nicaragua and the Dominican Republic.

After clipping the ends and easily lighting the foot, I expected this cigar to pack a massive whallop of strength and spice. It did not. It did present a slight jalapeno spicyness throughout, and was accompanied by the most complex mixture of flavors I have ever encountered in a cigar. I can easily say my palate is not experienced enough to fully appreciate all the flavors present. At times it was floral, sometimes earthy, and for awhile I tasted anise. It was a unique smoking experience that I want to try again in the future.

As far as the technical details of the cigar go, it was obviously constructed by a true master torcedor; burn was impeccible. About 1/2 way in draw became a bit tight, so I snipped off a tiny bit more of the tapered head and the draw was again perfect for me. The cigar billowed thick, fragrant smoke throughout the hour I enjoyed it. As the cigar burnt its wonderful wrapper's oil oozed to the surface and it left a beautiful trail of concentric white and grey circles in a firm ash that I knocked off each time it reached 2" in length.

Scores
Appearance - 98
Construction - 98
Burn - 96
Draw - 94
Flavor - 94
Value - 90
Overall - 95

Get one if you can find them!

Thanks Andrew!
-Matt-

edit its been soo long since I have written a review I put it in the wrong forum. Rod, if you see this and can move it, can it be moved to Whatcha been smoking lately? Thanks...

Damn, sounds like a nice cigar... thanks for the review.

Sound like a winner, of course Moki only passes out good stuff. :D