• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

for jazz fans

puffnstuff

altruistic pervert
Reaction score
The late and great Tony Williams is one of my favorite jazz drummers. This footage of him with Miles Davis (plus Herbie Hancock, Ron Carter & Wayne Shorter) is from their European tour in 1967 (Stockholm, Sweden, to be specific)…the date listed on the page is incorrect.

Anyway, Tony was only 22 years old at the time, which is both inspiring & depressing (for me).
What incredible finesse, grace and power! The confidence it must've taken for a 22 year old to be backing those other cats…jeez.

Unfortunately, the man passed away in 1997 from a fatal heart attack.

Once at the page, scroll down for the 4 movie clips.

Enjoy!

So there's another drummer geek here besides me. Cool. Sometimes I get lonely thinking I'm the only one playing along with my Weckl and Coliuta cd's!

Gonz said:
So there's another drummer geek here besides me. Cool. Sometimes I get lonely thinking I'm the only one playing along with my Weckl and Coliuta cd's!
[snapback]182531[/snapback]​
nah, man. you're definitely not alone!
so, am I wrong about those TW clips? un-friggin'believable, right? :0

I was always more of a Max Roach fan myself..but those clips are amazing...the time signatures and changes are otherworldly!!!

Matty_Vegas said:
I was always more of a Max Roach fan myself..but those clips are amazing...the time signatures and changes are otherworldly!!!
[snapback]182537[/snapback]​
Ah! Yeah, Max...
I think he played on Miles' "Birth Of The Cool" sessions. He was definitely one of, if not THE, first Bop drummers.

Elvin Jones is another favorite of mine. His work on Coltrane's Africa/Brass recordings is unbelievable.

Tony was a true legend! Here's one of my favorite pics of the greatest jazz group ever, Miles, Wayne, Ron, Tony and Herbie.

Miles%20Wayne%20Ron%20Tony.jpg

Max and Elvin were legends in their own right, but I'd have to put Art Blakey close to the top also!

Any and all drummer 'enspiries' should check out Nick Mason's "inside out" book.

Actually, Pink Floyd enthusiasts should check it out...

actually, this has nothing to do with jazz....sorry.

jacknife said:
Max and Elvin were legends in their own right, but I'd have to put Art Blakey close to the top also!
[snapback]182553[/snapback]​
oh, definitely!
"Moanin'" is a favorite of mine

great photo, by the way, jacknife!

mhortsch said:
Any and all drummer 'enspiries' should check out Nick Mason's "inside out" book.

[snapback]182554[/snapback]​
no apology necessary, man.
I'm not a jazz snob, and I definitely dig some of Nick Mason's work.

I haven't checked out that book, though.
I should...

I think my favourite Miles davis album was Bitches Brew...

Personally I am more of a Coletrane or Charlie Mingus guy...

puffnstuff said:
mhortsch said:

[snapback]182554[/snapback]​
no apology necessary, man.
I'm not a jazz snob, and I definitely dig some of Nick Mason's work.

I haven't checked out that book, though.
I should...
[snapback]182570[/snapback]​

I just got the book two nights ago. I used to be a die-hard floyd fan...my interest resparked a touch when I heard some very rumorous rumors of a possible reunite. had the wife get the book while she was at B&N, very interesting stuff in there on Floyd!!!

Come on, no Art Blakely fans or, just as awesome, Philly Joe Jones? Man, Philly Joe was *THE* man, carrying *the* quintet. And Blakely, brothers, he needs no introduction. Talk about the king of bop drummers. In my book anyway.

Just my .02 :)

MiamiCubano said:
Come on, no Art Blakely fans or, just as awesome, Philly Joe Jones? Man, Philly Joe was *THE* man, carrying *the* quintet. And Blakely, brothers, he needs no introduction. Talk about the king of bop drummers. In my book anyway.

[snapback]182687[/snapback]​
blakey was mentioned above, my man. ;)

and, of course, "philly" was amazing!

I just figured I'd spare everybody the entire scrolling list of incredible drummers that have made an impact on me.

puffnstuff said:
MiamiCubano said:
Come on, no Art Blakely fans or, just as awesome, Philly Joe Jones? Man, Philly Joe was *THE* man, carrying *the* quintet. And Blakely, brothers, he needs no introduction.  Talk about the king of bop drummers.  In my book anyway.

[snapback]182687[/snapback]​
blakey was mentioned above, my man. ;)

and, of course, "philly" was amazing!

I just figured I'd spare everybody the entire scrolling list of incredible drummers that have made an impact on me.
[snapback]182692[/snapback]​

I saw the Blakely mention after the fact. Just my short-attention span getting the best of me I suppose. Oh yeah, gotta throw out Shelley Manne and Mel Lewis and show my West-Coast props as well. :)

Man! those clips are cool. My son is a drummer, punk band, and really loves to mess around with tempo changes and weird stuff in his music. I'll have to show him these clips, thanks.

:cool: