• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Found Spanish Cedar table thing

RichYhlen

Now here is the kicker the other day I was dropping off one of my boys and it was junk day. Now since I joined this sinful forum and I mean that in a good way, its opening my eyes to things I would of normally not known. I passed by this heap of things thrown out and I seen this table looking thing and I thought to myself that might make a nice table humidor so I stopped and looked. On further inspection the wood looked alot like SC and it wasn't heavy at all, but it was cracked on 1 side thru the slab of wood. So I took it and cracked it apart and I got a whiff of faint SC. I was excited what a great find and for free. I was going to take it and use it to design trays I can easily make 20 and have left over wood. I want to get the wood back to its original ol smelly way that we love so much so I need help there.
Was thinking to take all the pieces find another cooler and place them inside and put alot of distilled water inside of cups and hopefully regain that smell back and make the oils happy again. I dont want to bath it in the water, I heard that is not good to do. What are some ideas or opinions on this all will be appreciated. I know I can look it up but I feel better if I heard from some of the BOTL in the CP.

Thanx guys and have a great day
Rich

Rich,

A light sanding to get all the crap off the wood should help bring out what oils are left in the wood... especially since it was in the trash and you don't know what/how it was previously used. Not sure what the seasoning will do for it if you are going to turn around and have it out cutting and forming trays. I would assume you would want the wood as dry as possible while doing the construction part. JMHO.

Sounds like a fun project- would love to see pics as you get it going..

Cheers,

Rob

Now here is the kicker the other day I was dropping off one of my boys and it was junk day. Now since I joined this sinful forum and I mean that in a good way, its opening my eyes to things I would of normally not known. I passed by this heap of things thrown out and I seen this table looking thing and I thought to myself that might make a nice table humidor so I stopped and looked. On further inspection the wood looked alot like SC and it wasn't heavy at all, but it was cracked on 1 side thru the slab of wood. So I took it and cracked it apart and I got a whiff of faint SC. I was excited what a great find and for free. I was going to take it and use it to design trays I can easily make 20 and have left over wood. I want to get the wood back to its original ol smelly way that we love so much so I need help there.
Was thinking to take all the pieces find another cooler and place them inside and put alot of distilled water inside of cups and hopefully regain that smell back and make the oils happy again. I dont want to bath it in the water, I heard that is not good to do. What are some ideas or opinions on this all will be appreciated. I know I can look it up but I feel better if I heard from some of the BOTL in the CP.

Thanx guys and have a great day
Rich

PM robbiex0r. This is pretty much exactly how he made his table humidor.

Looks like a piece of outdoor patio furniture made of red cedar to me, but more power to ya if you wanna use it as spanish cedar....

Looks like a piece of outdoor patio furniture made of red cedar to me, but more power to ya if you wanna use it as spanish cedar....

Would red cedar be completely unsuited to storing cigars? I imagine it'd imbue its own flavors over time but not significantly worse than spaish cedar.

It is generally avoided in cigar storage as it can be more overpowering than Spanish Cedar (Which isn't really cedar) or Honduran Mahogany. It can impart more intense flavor and aromas into the cigars. Usually if I see cigars stored in a Red Cedar environment, I quickly turn the other way.

I stopped into WoodCrafters and I made a comparison and it is Mahogany. Guess this will be used in either trays with SC slats for bottoms or something who knows hey still a find and for free so aint complaining.