• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Fountain Pens 2023 - Anyone?

MaytagMan

Instead of reviving a thread that is several years old, I though I'd start a new one to check in and see if there are any other fountain pen users on here these days? I've been getting into them for the past couple of years, and enjoy using them both at home and at work.

Here are a few of the pens that I have. Let's see what you have!

Benu Talisman Four Leaf Clover

Sailor Pro Gear Stellar Black Hole

I don't really use them but have made a few.

Check Brooks is a great artist.

Check out Jim Hinze pens he makes some awesome pens as well

Great photos. Takes me way back, and I do mean way back to 1950 and being in school and doing home work. So many people no longer know how to write in script. A pity.

I had several fountain pens in college that I used for drawing and architecture classes. My wife and I (then girlfriend) used to practice our lettering on the bus ride to work for hours on end. There's something about the wet ink that makes it more like drawing than writing. I took Japanese calligraphy when I lived in Japan with a brush and a purpose-built brush pen, but haven't used a true fountain pen in years. I've been thinking recently about venturing back into them and this might just be the catalyst I need to get going!

I used to have a really cheap one on my desk when I worked at the museum. I very much enjoyed using it, but it made me feel really pretentious amongst my peers (mostly younger and female).

I don't really use them but have made a few.

Check Brooks is a great artist.

Check out Jim Hinze pens he makes some awesome pens as well

Wait, you have made some? Very cool!

A buddy and I met Jonathan Brooks / Carolina Pen Co. at the San Francisco Pen Show last year and we both ended up buying a pen from him. Hinze was there too, and yeah he has some great looking pens too!

Great photos. Takes me way back, and I do mean way back to 1950 and being in school and doing home work. So many people no longer know how to write in script. A pity.
I do a lot of writing at work in block caps so others can read it lol... I actually had a custom grind on one of my pens to an architect nib, and it works great for that!

I had several fountain pens in college that I used for drawing and architecture classes. My wife and I (then girlfriend) used to practice our lettering on the bus ride to work for hours on end. There's something about the wet ink that makes it more like drawing than writing. I took Japanese calligraphy when I lived in Japan with a brush and a purpose-built brush pen, but haven't used a true fountain pen in years. I've been thinking recently about venturing back into them and this might just be the catalyst I need to get going!
Excellent.... though I must warn you the slope is slippery... muahahahaha!

There are some beautiful Japanese pens with Urushi lacquer!

The nice thing is that you can get a great pen from ~$30 all the way into the multiple thousands of dollars, so there is something for everyone. And once you start experimenting with different nibs, pan manufacturers, and inks, it will be ON!

I used to have a really cheap one on my desk when I worked at the museum. I very much enjoyed using it, but it made me feel really pretentious amongst my peers (mostly younger and female).
I embrace the pretentiousness lolol!!!! When we are in a meeting at work and they pass around the document to sign, out school psychologist usually pipes up with, "Don't even pass the pen to Bill... he will only use his fancy pens!"

My reputation precedes me bwahahahaha!!!!!

Excellent.... though I must warn you the slope is slippery... muahahahaha!

There are some beautiful Japanese pens with Urushi lacquer!

The nice thing is that you can get a great pen from ~$30 all the way into the multiple thousands of dollars, so there is something for everyone. And once you start experimenting with different nibs, pan manufacturers, and inks, it will be ON!
No kidding! I've spent the evening browsing online reviews of various instruments.

No kidding! I've spent the evening browsing online reviews of various instruments.
Goulet Pens has a good podcast where they go over a lot of pens, best lists, etc.. their youtube will have best entry level, best gold nib pens to start with etc. The only issue with their regular weekly podcast is the episodes are about 2 hours long, and about half of that is content, the rest are life updates and things like that.

Figboot on Pens has a youtube channel - he does some really indeoth pen reviews with writing samples, size comparisons with other pends, etc.

I've never really messed with a fountain pen, but I've always appricated the art and skill behind them. I do a lot of writing for work and in the past couple of year have come to enjoy using a well rounded pen.

I have a Mont Blanc fountain pen at the house somewhere, but I haven't used it in years. I never really got into writing with fountain pens, but always thought it would be cool to pull one out when signing stuff.

The other great part is I never have standard blue or black ink... I go out there a bit lol!

Three of my pens at work are inked in interesting colors - one has a medium green, one has a nice orange, and the third has a pretty vibrant magenta.